Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tishomingo Hogs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Tishomingo Hogs
      22/10/23 02:56 AM

It is deer hunting season here in Oklahoma. I have been busy on the lease getting ready.

We have been having problems with feral hogs. They get into our deer feeders and eat all the corn. They also run all the deer off.

I notice one feeder had three hogs showing up like clock work. This feeder in the past has been really good for deer. This year, nothing, just hogs.

These hogs have been showing up every morning between 7:30 and 8:30. I decided to go after them.

We have found that if we shoot a hog over the feeders the sounder tends to not show up for a couple of weeks. I had no expectations to taking all these hogs at once rather to eliminate one maybe two and let the deer get back to the feeder.

Last Friday, October 13 I went into the blind at 6am. First shooting light was 7am. Here is my view. The blind is east of the feeder and is looking west.

At about 8:15 I saw movement to the left coming from the west. My preferred target was the large sow who seemed to lead this group. And, indeed that morning she was leading the group of three. She stuck her head just past the spindly little tree seen to the left of the feeder. The thin limbs of the bush right in front of the blind did not block my rifle which was to the right of the camera. I aimed for the center of the neck between skull and shoulder. This is the close range preferred aim spot for feral hogs-DRT! shot. Dead Right There!

It was perfect.

The other two hogs disappeared, like flipping a light switch. Lights out, gone!

To the details. First the rifle I am using.

I am using an AR 15 purpose built for hunting. The lower receiver is a YHM, Yankee Hill Machine. Upper is a Rock River raised bridge for scoped rifles with Stag Arms barrel chambered for 6.8 SPC II.. Trigger is match 2 stage from Rock river Arms. Hogue stock. It is the upper gun in the picture.

Ammunition was Hornady factory 120 grain SST 6.8 SPC.

Per local hog hunters advice since I was shooting from an archery blind, I sighted this gun in for zero at 50 yards. I was also told to aim at the center of the hogs neck between shoulder and skull. This would give the DRT-dead right there effect. It did. When shot, the hog drop like a load of bricks.

Here is the point of aim, point of impact-entrance.

And the exit.

The chest girth measure measurement was 37 ½ inches which equates to an estimated 175 lbs. 30 inch equals 100 lbs, plus 10 pound per additional inch. This measurement is usually done with a cloth tape. I didn’t have mine with me so I used a field expedient method- hard rope to measure, fishing lure as length marker.

And the Glamour picture.

The down side to this. Local meat processors refuse to take these animals in due to concerns about disease. Oh well the coyotes and buzzards will get fed.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Tishomingo Hogs DoubleD 22/10/23 02:56 AM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs DarylS   22/10/23 03:33 AM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs Marrakai   22/10/23 09:20 AM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs NitroXAdministrator   22/10/23 02:01 PM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs DoubleD   22/10/23 10:52 AM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs NitroXAdministrator   22/10/23 02:09 PM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs DoubleD   23/10/23 12:53 AM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs NitroXAdministrator   23/10/23 01:11 AM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs DoubleD   23/10/23 06:56 AM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs NitroXAdministrator   23/10/23 04:03 PM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs DarylS   23/10/23 12:42 PM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs NitroXAdministrator   23/10/23 03:34 PM
. * * Re: Tishomingo Hogs DoubleD   23/10/23 07:42 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 972

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com