Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pros & Cons, Black Bear Hunting, Fall vs Spring

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Pros & Cons, Black Bear Hunting, Fall vs Spring
      #306103 - 08/10/17 05:23 AM

The wife is now talking about going back up north for a bear hunt. We saw a lot of bears on out moose hunt.

We talked with outfitter. They do 30 bear hunts in the spring and only 4 in the fall. The spring hunts are primarily bait hunts with some spot and stalk. They are more focused on Elk, deer and moose hunting in the fall, thus the smaller number. The Guides and out fitter all say the better bear to take are the fall bears-better meat quality, larger animals, better hide quality. Both seasons are two bear tags.

So gents, let me hear from you guys, your thoughts, Fall hunt or Spring hunt and why.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Pros & Cons, Black Bear Hunting, Fall vs Spring [Re: DoubleD]
      #306105 - 08/10/17 05:44 AM

imagine the spring bear have a shabby pelt

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pros & Cons, Black Bear Hunting, Fall vs Spring [Re: lancaster]
      #306110 - 08/10/17 08:33 AM

Early spring bears, both grizzlies and blacks have incredible hides - never better - unless they've been scratching/rubbing.

Some come out of the den already rubbed to high heaven, others with soft, long and luxuriously beautiful hair. The hair & inner fur grows all winter. It is BEST in the spring - unless they've been rubbing, of course.

The chance of only finding rubbed bears in the spring is higher, the later and thus the warmer weather during the hunt.

The best time is when they first come out, with snow still on the ground.

Fall bears, just before hibernation, have best meat, and hides almost ready for the long sleep - but, still do not compare with spring hides - on a few of the bears.

I would hazard a guess that a warm early spring will produce the worse rubbed hides, so probably better off with a fall bear, especially if you are planning on eating it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Pros & Cons, Black Bear Hunting, Fall vs Spring [Re: DarylS]
      #306126 - 09/10/17 02:37 AM

Yes that sounds like what we are looking for, fall hunt.

The Guides and outfitters in moose were pushing the fall hunt...wanted to make sure it wasn't a sales pitch...they are saying the same thing you saying.

We were talking about the bear hunts, in moose camp one evening over wine, sausage and cheese. As my wife is munching away on her third piece of sausage saying she doesn't think she can eat bear meat, the outfitter told her the sausage was bear. That decide her right there.

While she really would like a bear rug, she wasn't thrilled about just killing it for the hide. Now that she know she can eat it, the hunt is a go. So what the hell are we going to do with 300 lbs of bear sausage?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pros & Cons, Black Bear Hunting, Fall vs Spring [Re: DoubleD]
      #306130 - 09/10/17 04:18 AM

Bear berger/sausage is very good. Roasts can be as well.

My wife once cooked a grizzly roast for the game banquet. She used some herbs & olive oil as a rub and cloves stuck into the ham. It was the delight of the banquet. One of the guides was the 4th or 5th one through and everyone in front of him bypassed the grizzly. He took the sign off and shoved it under the patter - by the time I got to it, maybe 20th inline, the plate was cleaned off. It looked and smelled wonderful like a big beef roast, with the cloves, of course.
This bear meat came from Spatsizi Provincial Park.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1583

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com