Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bhoyyo's Cat, now Poppy's Dogs...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Bhoyyo's Cat, now Poppy's Dogs...
      #173742 - 24/12/10 11:52 AM

The kid got his cat, now Pops got his dogs...

First two of the season. Kiddo saved about 52 deer by knocking off that lion. Getting rid of these two should take the heat off 20 more or so.

One, Old Three-Legger! Missing a front leg, must have lost it a while ago as it was healed over, though with some proud flesh.

Number One ready to go down. A dog yote.

Gear laid out to reset a new snare.

New set made.

Number 2. Old Three-Legger. A big bitch yote.

Stumpy. A bit of proud flesh, but otherwise healed over.

The pair of them next to a mess of snares.

Woods Trash hung up for cheap advertising on the game pole in front of the house along the road. Always trying to encourage folks to start killing predators...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Bhoyyo's Cat, now Poppy's Dogs... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #173747 - 24/12/10 01:44 PM

That lever gun is starting to shine in more ways than one !.
It is good to see rifle's being used and not looked at 9.3.

Is the leg wound from a snare ?.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Bhoyyo's Cat, now Poppy's Dogs... [Re: FATBOY404]
      #173749 - 24/12/10 02:04 PM

Well done 9.3 it seems that they have been through the wars before coming to an end with you.
Cheers,

Jeff Gray

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Bhoyyo's Cat, now Poppy's Dogs... [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #173753 - 24/12/10 04:20 PM

Thanks guys.

I am not sure what caused the injury. There is a flap of skin that balled up and healed in a knot, then the stump. Could be a trap, fight, not sure. It was a largish bitch and otherwise in good condition so it wasn't getting behind because of it.

The old government trappers used to say the cripples were the most difficult to trap because they had a chance to learn. Maybe this one had never seen a snare loop before.

Some years ago I took a long shot at a coyote and mostly took the leg off it. I tracked it in the snow for a mile or so and lost it.

About a week later, we were all eating breakfast and saw a coyote stalking some deer in my hayfield. Getting the spotting scope on it, I could see the front leg swinging, attached by a thin piece of hide.

Could it be?

I might add, I'll take any shot presented by a coyote. Shots I won't take at a deer or other worthy game animal I'll take at a coyote. I don't worry about merely wounding if I have the remotest chance of connecting on a yote. They are a scourge.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #173756 - 24/12/10 05:17 PM

Amen!

I shower the bastards here on our hill.
Humane shot on a coyote..?
Bah!!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #173758 - 24/12/10 06:58 PM

Quote:

I might add, I'll take any shot presented by a coyote. Shots I won't take at a deer or other worthy game animal I'll take at a coyote. I don't worry about merely wounding if I have the remotest chance of connecting on a yote. They are a scourge.

Not having "Yotes" as such here in Australia, only Dingo's they sound like the Seaguls of the hills. The cross bred dingo's seem to be more of a problem (just) than the full blood.

Lastly, it's almost here, so merry Christmas 9.3 and the best to you and yours, you live in a wonderful area even if a cold one.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Bhoyyo's Cat, now Poppy's Dogs... [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #173831 - 26/12/10 02:12 AM

The history of predator control in the West is fascinating...

Over the past couple years I've compiled quite a nice collection of official government reports from the Bureau of Biological Survey, precursor to both the US Fish and Wildlife Service {USF&WS} and also to the US Dept of Agriculture/Animal Plant Health Inspection Service/Wildlife Services. The latter {USDA/APHIS/WS} is currently involved in problem animal control all over the USA. For example, our wolf control director here in Idaho spent 8 years shooting deer in Chicago city parks to the tune of 1,200 head. He also did a stint in Afghanistan last year controlling jackals and birds that were damaging US combat aircraft on a remote airstrip. These guys are the ones who do the government aerial gunning of coyotes and wolves here in Idaho and IMO are one of the last truly service-oriented government departments in America. They have no enforcement authority but simply provide a service to stockmen and others who are experiencing depredation or problems with wildlife that cannot be controlled by other means.

Also, unlike the radical, rogue, freak environmentalist, land-grabbing, rights-depriving and oppressive US Fish and Wildlife Service, an agency that should be disbanded, the USDA/APHIS/WS provides services to state wildlife agencies when those agencies have problems with species protected by the ESA.

Anyway, the BBS was tasked in 1915 with waging war against coyotes and wolves on Federal lands, a task assigned them after many years of pleading by stockmen, wildlife lovers, hunters, state wildlife agences, and others to reduce coyote and wolf numbers due to disease spread {especially rabies}, stock depredation and game annihilation caused by coyotes and wolves.

The story of this war has never truly been told. It is fascinating. While freak environmentalist groups have attacked it as one more example of American White Man bloodlust run amuck, the true story details the protection of wildlife, the foundation for modern, successful wildlife management throughout the West, and the establishment of productive landscapes throughout the region.

The individual stories of trapping, shooting and even poisoning {bait station establishment, logistics, technique evolution, etc} are absolutely fascinating for all outdoorsmen and others who appreciate the difficulties involved in trapping and destroying woods canids and other problem predators. There is no more difficult hunting. Those who call a few coyotes in the desert have little idea how diffuclt these animals are to kill in rough, timbered, mountainous terrain as we have here. The woodscraft demanded to routinely trap or shoot them takes creativity and a lot of time to devlop, and frequently is site-specific, making challenges for those who covered vast areas of the state conducting their work. We have an extensive road system now they never had, and we have vehicles, means of transport and Google Earth, all advantages they never dreamed of.

These were no weekend warriors. These fellows lived a lonely, remote, hard and strenuous existence, often never seeing some of the end results {game population recovery and growth takes years} of work they performed. Through mind-frying heat, brutal and crushing cold, they struggled on. In the end they established the foundation for stable, manageable and vibrant elk, deer and moose populations, not to mention the more rare animals such as sheep and mountain goats as well as the manageable large predator species like mountain lion and bear. We have had much to thank them for and must not forget the benefit they provided, the blessing they gave generations.

Great stuff.

I've also secured the Idaho state annual reports from 1899 to 1930 and 1938-1940 which also reinforce the absolute need for hard predator control in order to maintain big game populations.

Yes, folks, we need it back and we need it BACK BAD! The current, "eco-duped" generation seems to think there is a free lunch awaiting them; huntable populations of big game without the need for predator control. The facts belie this absurdity. "Modern concepts of "ecosystem management" in the West downplay the need for predator control, instead granting equal value status to predators as to big game. Reality is that it is hard to control predators. Not impossible, but hard. Too hard for the modern game biologist? Too hard for the modern hunter? I wonder...

A challenge to all the Westerners reading this;

Give up the TV and the couch and get out during the winter and spring and KILL PREDATORS.

How about this; kill two coyotes for every deer, elk or moose you shoot during the hunting season.

Deal?

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #173850 - 26/12/10 06:36 AM

We're on it here on our hill!

...now if I can only match your kid's performance on the cats I'll feel a bit better about the effort...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Bhoyyo's Cat, now Poppy's Dogs... [Re: tinker]
      #173869 - 26/12/10 12:26 PM

Well-done!

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #173874 - 26/12/10 02:08 PM

Outstanding! Well done!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2379

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com