Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big Bear-The MOST Dangerous Game of ALL???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Big Bear-The MOST Dangerous Game of ALL???
      #83624 - 07/08/07 10:25 AM

Hunters love to talk about the risks involved in African hunting.it is an adrenaline high to pit oneself against a Buff or an Ele at close quarters and emerge victorioous.

But how about game that will hunt you if detected, stalk you,kill you, and eat you?? How about the Big Bears??

Is this risk highest with Ele and Big Bear(Brown and Polar)?? Both have poor vision but great noses and ears.Polar Bears fear nothing at all- everything is a potential meal

Lions-correct me if in error- generally do not attack unless wounded, Ele won't press the attack if avoided.

Hippo's reportedly won't attack on land unless you are between them and water.

What is generally more dangerous to hunt?? Obviously specifically its the one you shoot that blows snot up your leg(a previous catchy quip)!!

The Big Bears,Ele, or something else!!??

Gentlemen-Make your case!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: Big Bear-The MOST Dangerous Game of ALL??? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #83842 - 11/08/07 12:15 AM

I have no idea. I guess whichever is blowing snot up MY pant leg.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Big Bear-The MOST Dangerous Game of ALL??? [Re: Plains99]
      #83865 - 11/08/07 10:09 AM

The big bears have been added in equality with Africa's most dangerous by those PH's who've been fortunate to hunt North America. This transpired in the past, 1950's through 1970's and I see no reason why it should change today.
: Just to be within 60 yards of a big grizzly, and see the way they look left and right, the look on their faces, you know he'/she's got an attitude and will take only a minor distrubance to 'set them off'. Yes, sometimes they choose to go the other way, as do most of Africa's big 5, but when on their feeding grounds, they seem want to make things interesting for the intruder.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Big Bear-The MOST Dangerous Game of ALL??? [Re: DarylS]
      #83895 - 12/08/07 02:02 AM

I have read numerous articles on this as it intereted me as well. In my last trip to Africa I asked several PH's as well at SCI shows--it appears as to African game it comes down to lion or elephant--with elephant typically considered the most dangerous of all.. I was told that a leopard with maul you and anyone around you given the chance but will then head off..where as a lion, if he gets your body or head in his mouth, the outcome will not be good, yet people do survive..however "typically" if a elephant gets his trunk on you or stomps you.. its lights out..

As to brown bear, I hunted a 9 ft plus once into the alders after being hit twice with my .375--I remember thinking this is "NOT" a good idea--but had to be done.. fortunatley it all worked out but not before a few hair raising moments---

I guess I would have to say, each animal given the proper circumstances, have a great possibility to ruining your day..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Big Bear-The MOST Dangerous Game of ALL??? [Re: Ripp]
      #83910 - 12/08/07 05:44 AM

The topic of big, dangerous animals and the myriad methods they can use to wreck your day are indeed entertaining and unending among hunters.

Of course, any big animal can cause a guy trouble when purposefully interacted with by a human. Even in America, stock and dairy men get killed every year from working with cattle and as for dangerous activities, check out equestrian events of all sorts, from 3-Day to rodeo. I believe they still stand tall as the most dangerous sports in America. I wager to say that as a percentage of interactions AND raw numbers, a guy stands a far greater risk of getting really seriously beatup or killed by working with large stock, particularly horses, than hunting dangerous game. Much is legitimately made about the mishaps and mayhem caused to bush Africans by lion, hippo, etc but really, I suspect the lion's share {pun intended...} of American urbanites have utterly no idea how many serious injuries are caused by big critters every year in the rural parts of our own country. I read somewhere that less than 2% farm anymore. I reckon a guy accepts far more risks entering a corral with an unknown horse than he does trying to shoot a ___________ {you fill in the blank}. Heck, if somebody is really bored with feeling good and decides he wants a big animal to make him ache all over he can spend a week at my place sometime. Have a seat on my mare Dakota while I wad up a big, empty Dorito bag in the near vicinity... I'll make sure to have my wife call 911 before you say "Go".

Diverting back on track, my money is on big bear for being the nastiest critter on earth. I know how much tenacity even the little ones display and I can only imagine what a big one would be like on a really bad day.

Having said that, to paraphrase and agree with Ripp, I suppose the most dangerous critter on earth is the one that makes you hurt personally.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Big Bear-The MOST Dangerous Game of ALL??? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #84162 - 17/08/07 10:16 PM

As a point of reference and recent example of the above, we are all at the County Fair this week. There's a cute high school age gal there showing pig & steer in a full back brace cast setup. Her mom showed me a picture of her vertebrae {X-ray}. Busted all the way across. She'll be in that brace affair for 3 months. Big critters are dangerous!

Broken back. Steer. No gun. She smiles anyway, probably mostly in anticipation of sale day and the knowledge that the steer will be in somebody's freezer long before her cast is off.

Anyway, in the hunting world my money is still on big bear. Saw a couple TV shows the other night that further reinforced that opinion. A really excellent one on National Geographic where they go into some detail about the physiology of bear. The part about the construction of their nose and smelling ability is amazing. Endurance, too, but I've seen that myself with our small black bear. Many are the days I've seen bear just flat outrun dogs, with some keeping it up for 10 hours or more, even with fresh dogs dropped in on the chase. Their lung capacity and running endurance are absolutely mindboggling.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Big Bear-The MOST Dangerous Game of ALL??? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #87050 - 13/10/07 07:30 AM

DONE THE GRIZZLY WITH A GUN IN BRITISH COLUMBIA IT WAS A HEART THUMPER,BUT RIGHT HERE AT MY HOME IN FLORIDA I GOT AN ALLIGTOR WITH A CROSSBOW AND A FISHING ARROW,I WAS IN A 16 FOOT JON BOAT AT NIGHT AND IT WIEGHED 1100LBS AND MEASURESD 13 1/2 FEET LONG THAT WAS A FIGHT ENDED IT WITH A 44 BANG STICK TO THE HEAD AFTER 4 HOURS.IT IS NOW THE WORLD RECORD FOR CROSS BOW IN THE SCI BOOK,AND THE BOAT STILL HAS THE DENTS AND BITE MARKS,AFTER THE GRIZZLY AND GATORS I AM HOOKED ON DANGEROUS GAME WHY HUNT ANYTHING ELSE,

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2260

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com