Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wild Cattle..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ingwe
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: Texas
Wild Cattle..
      #16715 - 14/07/04 05:51 PM

I have seen some pretty good stories of hunting these wild cattle in south Texas. You could find yourself eye to horn with a very angry bull in some very thick, tangled jess, and it could actually be pretty dangerous. I think it was Finn Aagard who once wrote that was the only time he ever hunted anything in North America where he truly felt a legitimate need for a .458 Win Mag. And he said that included polar and grizzly bears. Has anyone else heard of this? Do they still exist?

--------------------

Learn from other people's mistakes - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anansi
.224 member

Reged: 15/07/04
Loc: CA USA
Re: Wild Cattle.. [Re: Ingwe]
      #16780 - 16/07/04 08:09 AM

Check this webpage out: http://users.aristotle.net/~swarmack/aurochs.html

Also, after looking at pictures of the "Running of the Fighting Bulls" in Spain (on Yahoo), I can see that the good old cow, ox, aurochs, or bull still deserves lots of respect. Those fighting bulls look tough!

--------------------
Life is a little like sailing. You can't always follow your charted course, and you your destination may be different from what you had wanted.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Wild Cattle.. [Re: Anansi]
      #17248 - 27/07/04 06:06 AM

Inqwe,
At one time in the Sanderson, Texas area on the Rio Grande River a number of Mexican fighting bulls crossed and got on private US property...Most ranchers roped them and hauled them to the sale in San Angelo, but a few interprising gents sold them to clients from other parts of Texas, to folks who would shoot anything...

The truth is it was a sham, a canned hunt of sorts..Most of that was stopped when the border was closed for hoof and mouth..then the river riders shot them and burned them on the spot....

It pops up every once in a while, when a sucker can be found, and the rancher is willing..Cattle get wild in that big country, but as soon as they are put on feed they domesticate almost over night.

There are many wild cattle in Mexico and most of them end up as roping steers in the USA at a premium price, then go on feed when they get to large and end up on you plate....

I am sure that anyone could find a rancher that would sell you a wild cattle hunt for the right amount of bucks, and that would be anything over market value plus room and board....Kinda like Barbedo sheep, and spanish goats and some of the other stuff they sell as game...

Ingwe
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Wild Cattle.. [Re: atkinson6]
      #17256 - 27/07/04 08:05 AM

In reply to:

There are many wild cattle in Mexico and most of them end up as roping steers in the USA at a premium price, then go on feed when they get to large and end up on you plate....

I am sure that anyone could find a rancher that would sell you a wild cattle hunt for the right amount of bucks, and that would be anything over market value plus room and board....

Boy Ray, that sounds like it could actually be a pretty fun hunting opportunity, for not a whole lot of money. And Mexico is only about a 5 hour drive for me.. Hmm..

Hey Luv2, are you up for some fun with the double 9.3's?

--------------------

Learn from other people's mistakes - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

juanpozzi
.224 member

Reged: 26/08/04
      #19269 - 17/09/04 05:39 AM

here in argentina a very big country with few people most concentrated in bs as there are huge jungles with wil cows in the north, and in the patagonia i hunted a lot of them they are very dangerous specially the cebu types we hunted and guided them in a speciall package of bovines including watwer bufalo .we offered wild cebues garanteed that charge at 1000us each the biggest 2 days of hunting all included.juan pablo pozzi .www.huntinginargentina.com.ar

JefferyDenmark
.300 member

Reged: 10/06/04
Loc: The Kingdom of Denmark
Re: Wild Cattle.. [Re: juanpozzi]
      #21729 - 05/12/04 04:13 PM

Juan Jęger

I would very much like to se you shoot one of those cebu with my .500 Jeffery if we get the chance to se one i March.
The knife is sharp and waiting to draw blood.
The bullets are being tested and I hope to kill many Boars and feral hogs with you.

Cheers,

André

--------------------
Always always use enough ... GUN

Edited by JefferyDenmark (05/12/04 04:14 PM)

tecman
.224 member

Reged: 24/02/05
Loc: Austin Tx
      #26767 - 24/02/05 06:19 PM

I've roped a lot of cattle like mentioned. Over a hundred years ago, those cattle roamed free and wild. Their size and ferocity was legendary. There are lot's of tales of people pitting the old longhorn bulls againts grizzlies. I say these are tales because I've never seen any proof of this. That's not to say, however, that's it's not possible.

vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: Wild Cattle.. [Re: tecman]
      #30491 - 04/05/05 10:55 AM

Yhe spirit of the Gladiators lives on.

--------------------

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: Wild Cattle.. [Re: vapodog]
      #31607 - 21/05/05 12:45 AM

Feral cow killing still takes place along the Mexican border but it is usually done by control officers. I know of one who carries a .458 Lott in his truck for bulls because of an unnerving experience with a bull that soaked up several hits... of I don't remember what. We were looking into hunting some down there but it is generally not something that is available to the average sport hunter. I'd be dubious of an "outfit" that specialized in "wild cow" hunts. Pretty scammy I'd think. I was raised on a ranch and over a twenty year period we had to put down two bulls that had gone rogue and could not be controlled. Our weapon of choice? A bolt action Marlin shotgun loaded with 1 ounce slugs. Not very glamorous. On both occasions we drove up in the truck, pulled out the shotgun and put a dollar sized hole in their foreheads at thirty yards as they stood there pawing the dirt glaring at us. Not exactly something for the adventure mags.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Wild Cattle.. [Re: Plains99]
      #34281 - 04/07/05 04:22 AM

There have not been any feral cattle in the Texas border area in years..At one time some of Guspar Penas fighting bulls crossed into the USA in the Marathon Sanderson area, and some ranches sold them for hunting, the other just roped them and dragged them into trailers and penned them until they had enough for a load then off to the sail barn.

I am sure there are a few ranchers would let you shoot " feral cattle ", except during branding season!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 2782

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com