Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting???
      #359269 - 16/12/21 02:39 AM

What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting and the 6.5 Creedmoor? His Work Already Tells Us
Outdoor Life’s legendary shooting editor gave a lot of advice, and held plenty of opinions that are still relevant today

BY TYLER FREEL | PUBLISHED DEC 14, 2021 6:13 PM

https://www.outdoorlife.com/opinion/jack...source=facebook

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? [Re: Ripp]
      #359273 - 16/12/21 04:11 AM

Ripp,
Thanks for posting. Jack O'Connor was a great outdoorsman, hunter, and writer.

--------------------
RB

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? [Re: 85lc]
      #359276 - 16/12/21 07:28 AM

I've never read any of his articles - obviously he would have done a hell of a lot in 38 years!
One thing they say is to never forget history - there would have been a lot of sage advice in there.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #359286 - 16/12/21 12:31 PM

I don't know about about Jack O'Connor being a great hunter. Seems to me he had good guides, which allowed him to shoot a lot of game around the world.

His average # of shots to kill a Canadian Moose was reported in Gun Digest as being 3.8. As most moose shooting is done at close range, usually between 15 and 100yards, you might wonder why he "averaged" 3.8 shots?

Now, his wife Eleanor, used just 29 shots, to kill 28 head of African game. She used her favourite 7mm Mauser, but it wasn't loaded with 130 or 140gr, bullets. Seems to me, she liked 160gr. Nosler Partitions, iirc.

My buddy's wife killed several African Antelope with her .270, using 130gr. TTSX's - including an almost record Kudu. All one shot kills, which she does each year on deer, bear(a huge one last fall) and moose, same rifle, same loads.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? [Re: DarylS]
      #359299 - 16/12/21 02:56 PM

Quote:

I don't know about about Jack O'Connor being a great hunter. Seems to me he had good guides, which allowed him to shoot a lot of game around the world.

His average # of shots to kill a Canadian Moose was reported in Gun Digest as being 3.8. As most moose shooting is done at close range, usually between 15 and 100yards, you might wonder why he "averaged" 3.8 shots?

Now, his wife Eleanor, used just 29 shots, to kill 28 head of African game. She used her favourite 7mm Mauser, but it wasn't loaded with 130 or 140gr, bullets. Seems to me, she liked 160gr. Nosler Partitions, iirc.

My buddy's wife killed several African Antelope with her .270, using 130gr. TTSX's - including an almost record Kudu. All one shot kills, which she does each year on deer, bear(a huge one last fall) and moose, same rifle, same loads.

O'Connor wrote two articles in the RCBS Reloading Guide, Fourth Edition;

One was "Rifles for Africa" where he said on safari in Mozambique Eleanor shot 17 head of game with 19 shots from her 7x57, 3 shots for a big Kudu which was heart shot with the first round but put in two more to anchor it faster, all other animals were one shot kills most in their tracks.

In the article "Handloading for Hunting" he mentions Eleanor, again in Mozambique, using the 160gr Sierra over 52gr of 4831 for around 2700fps in her 7x57 which was highly effective on game big or small.

I'm assuming both instances Jack speaks of in the RCBS booklet articles are one and the same.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? [Re: eagle27]
      #359305 - 16/12/21 10:16 PM

O'Connor also liked the Remington 170gr Core-Lokt in the 7mm IIRC, but I can't reference the actual article titles without looking stuff up.
Also never forget the "bottle of molten lead" presumption that he held about high-velocity projectiles in flight. Hilarious!

His book "The Hunting Rifle" sits right next to Elmer Keith's "Big Game Rifles" on my bookshelf. I derive a weird sense of humour from that!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Ripp
.577 member

Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? [Re: Marrakai]
      #359307 - 17/12/21 01:35 AM

Quote:

O'Connor also liked the Remington 170gr Core-Lokt in the 7mm IIRC, but I can't reference the actual article titles without looking stuff up.
Also never forget the "bottle of molten lead" presumption that he held about high-velocity projectiles in flight. Hilarious!

His book "The Hunting Rifle" sits right next to Elmer Keith's "Big Game Rifles" on my bookshelf. I derive a weird sense of humour from that!

THAT's funny... they enjoyed each other so much..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#359315 - 17/12/21 04:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

THAT's funny... they enjoyed each other so much..

My impression, as well. I used to read them both. I even have/had one of O'Connor's books - just looked & couldn't find it - might have sold it at our gun show.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #359327 - 17/12/21 10:11 AM

I don't think I have read any of O'Connor's articles. Probably avoided them once.

That article just shows there is nothing really new under the sun.

What killed a hundred years ago, funnily still kills today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? [Re: NitroX]
      #359341 - 17/12/21 07:09 PM

I reckon so much has changed over the past 50 years that neither O’Conner nor Elmer Keith would recognise the sport/equipment. The accuracy that we expect and get from off the shelf rifles and ammunition is far superior to that which they both had to use. I dare say that both would be stunned at just how accurate a Tikka T3 performs out of the box.

Then as to long range hunting (oxymoron?) and their opinions. What may have been considered long range then may well not be now. And what we consider long range today they may describe as ridiculous and irresponsible. Not surprising really. Those old barstards were using scopes like 4x Leopolds and their range finders were guesstimates .

Imagine their response to seeing laser rangefinders, computers with ballistic charts and Kahles and or NF sniper scopes in action.

Who knows….perhaps they may even agree, for once, that things sure have changed.

Rod

Ripp
.577 member

Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? [Re: Rod4861]
      #359357 - 18/12/21 01:44 AM

Quote:

I reckon so much has changed over the past 50 years that neither O’Conner nor Elmer Keith would recognise the sport/equipment. The accuracy that we expect and get from off the shelf rifles and ammunition is far superior to that which they both had to use. I dare say that both would be stunned at just how accurate a Tikka T3 performs out of the box.

Then as to long range hunting (oxymoron?) and their opinions. What may have been considered long range then may well not be now. And what we consider long range today they may describe as ridiculous and irresponsible. Not surprising really. Those old barstards were using scopes like 4x Leopolds and their range finders were guesstimates .

Imagine their response to seeing laser rangefinders, computers with ballistic charts and Kahles and or NF sniper scopes in action.

Who knows….perhaps they may even agree, for once, that things sure have changed.

Rod

Very well stated... agree fully..

I made similar statements during this past hunting season.. I remember the time a 400 yard shot was considered a lllooonnnngggg shot.. today, no longer.. long doesnt start until 6 to 800 .. most being even further.. Personally will not shoot game that far but cruise FB and there are tons bragging of their 800, 900 shot on an elk or deer.. I will freely admit I really enjoy banging steel at longish distances.. actually have steel set up on the ranch.. planning to build a bit of a sheltered area next year for the bench area..

Remember the first range finders ?? The one I remember using for archery showed two images..turn the dial until they become one, boom, that's the range.. that was in the 80's..

Yes indeed, they would be shocked by todays technology.. BUT, don't think those 2 would ever agree on anything..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (18/12/21 04:02 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#359365 - 18/12/21 04:39 AM

I had one of those turn the dial to align the images back in the late 70's. It worked, after a fashion but I'm sure it wasn't very accurate. I bought it for coyotes. Trouble with them, they were always moving - LOL.
As far as long range "shooting" is concerned, I relegate that to shooting gophers with .17's, out to just over 500yards. That's far enough for me, other than shooting steel with the larger bored rifles & jacketed or lead - that is fun.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#359369 - 18/12/21 06:10 AM

Quote:

I had one of those turn the dial to align the images back in the late 70's. It worked, after a fashion but I'm sure it wasn't very accurate. I bought it for coyotes. Trouble with them, they were always moving - LOL.
As far as long range "shooting" is concerned, I relegate that to shooting gophers with .17's, out to just over 500yards. That's far enough for me, other than shooting steel with the larger bored rifles & jacketed or lead - that is fun.

I plan to spend a little time this weekend in my reloading room.. I am almost certain I still have one of those tucked away somewhere... If I find it will post a pic next week..

Maybe I can sell it for $100,000. on Ebay.. you know..inflation and all..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1343

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com