Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2019 Antelope buck

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
2019 Antelope buck
      #332589 - 21/09/19 03:59 PM

IMG_20190918_192827625 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

40 yard shot. M95 Winchester Lever action. 270

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: szihn]
      #332590 - 21/09/19 07:17 PM

Well done

Edited by Rod4861 (21/09/19 07:22 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: Rod4861]
      #332599 - 22/09/19 02:30 AM

I'll say, heavy horns on that old buck.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: DarylS]
      #332601 - 22/09/19 04:13 AM

Congratulations on your impressive pronghorn antelope; really short distance shot!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: Louis]
      #332602 - 22/09/19 04:51 AM

Nice

There's been a gang of young pronghorn browsing our hills lately.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

szihn
.400 member

Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: tinker]
      #332615 - 23/09/19 12:06 AM

I used to see a resident heard out north on the Pyramid Highway ,but I think they are likely not there now. Last time I drove through there it was a housing area.

szihn
.400 member

#332616 - 23/09/19 12:10 AM

Thanks Louis.
Actually this buck was at 2X the range I killed the doe about a month ago. She was at only 20 yards. I shot her with a 6.5X54 Mannlicher.

I enjoy shooting and I do a lot of it, but when I go hunting I like to HUNT ---- instead of simply shoot game at long range. If the season goes on and I can't get close to a deer, antelope or elk I can always fire from longer distances. But when the game is down that hunt is over, and that means the fun is over too.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #332619 - 23/09/19 01:09 AM

Thank you for these additional details that help understanding the context; I do feel exactly the same as you. Pronghorns are not such common - well totally unseen as not native to be more precise, in Europe; the last time I had the chance to spot some was in June 1990 at a military area called Dugway Proving Ground, in Utah. This was during my US Ranger course, but although heavily armed we were not allowed hunting at that time!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: Louis]
      #332635 - 23/09/19 10:51 AM

Well done.

Congratulations. And also on your fine long range sniping.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #332663 - 24/09/19 10:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks Louis.
Actually this buck was at 2X the range I killed the doe about a month ago. She was at only 20 yards. I shot her with a 6.5X54 Mannlicher.

I enjoy shooting and I do a lot of it, but when I go hunting I like to HUNT ---- instead of simply shoot game at long range. If the season goes on and I can't get close to a deer, antelope or elk I can always fire from longer distances. But when the game is down that hunt is over, and that means the fun is over too.

Great job Steve.. I too love hunting antelope.. even more so with my bow.. and now is the time to do it as the rut is on.. my family and I drove across ND and Montana this past weekend to see my father.. saw hundreds and hundreds of antelope along the highway... and yes, the rut is on... bucks chasing bucks everywhere..

WHICH begs the question as to why, in God's name, if you are shooting them at 20 and 40 yards, do you have a range finder hanging around your neck??

Don't think the bullet drop is that different from 20 to 40 yards..or are you using really heavy for caliber bullets???

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: Ripp]
      #332686 - 25/09/19 03:08 AM

Well, difficult shot for a .270 at any range.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #332687 - 25/09/19 03:31 AM

Congratulations on a fine hunt and a top animal.

szihn
.400 member

Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: Rule303]
      #332694 - 25/09/19 07:18 AM

Hi Ripp.
Well I always try to get close but there are times when I have to fire at 200-400 yards. So that's why I carry the range finder. I have done a LOT of long range shooting in the last 1/2 century and I got fairly good at it, but I don't get any thrill from killing game at longer ranges. The farther they are away the less hunting I have to do. So I enjoy sneaking up on them.

But.......... I don't get close shot every time. With a 270 I only need to know the game is 400 or less. So that not too much of a trick.

But I also often hunt with less flat shooting guns, including handguns, so hanging the range finder is just something I do when I get out of the truck.

The one I killed at 20 yards in August was a thrill. I saw the heard at about 1/2 mile and I trotted a few hundred yards in a gully until I was maybe 500 yards away. I saw the direction they were going so I belly crawled over a low ridge and into the next gully. Then I ran about 250 yards more and went back to the ground and slunk up to the brow of the next ridge. I expected them to come out about 100 yards over and I was all set. But the one I got walked up the other side of the ridge and peeked over at only 20 yards from me. So I re-positioned myself a bit,to a new angle and shot from a low prone, to stay behind the brush, which was only about 10" high. I hit the neck because the head and neck were the only thing I could see. Didn't matter however. One bullet and it was over. I used a 1903 Mannlicher in 6.5X54. If I had needed to take a longer shot the range finder may have been nice. 156 grain round nose bullet at only 2233 FPS. Very accurate but not very flat shooting.

Tomorrow I and my wife Anna are going out to try to get 3 more. 2 for her and one more for me. I will possibly carry a scoped rifle if the clouds are thick because my old eyes have problems with irons if I don't have good light. But if the skies are clear I will probably take an iron sighted 9.3X57 or a 300 Savage M99 with a peep sight. But if the skies are dark in the morning I may take one of my 9.3X57s (one has irons only, the other has scope and irons both) or maybe I'll just grab a scoped 308 or scoped 270. We'll see....

Anna is a hunter, but not as much a "gun enthusiast". She likes to keep things simple. She said 4 years ago she wanted a "one gun for everything". So I made her a Mauser in 30-06 with a heavy sporter barrel and zeroed it for 165 grain bullets. There really is not such a thing as "one size fits all rifle" but the 30-06 with 165s is probably as close as we can get. She has 4 other rifles, a shotgun and 10 hand guns, but after I made the 30-06 for her she seldom shoots anything else. Deer, antelope, elk, bear, prairie dogs, coyotes, foxes, skunks ---------- and about anything else except rattle snakes, ---- she grabs her Mauser.

I can't say she is a bit wrong either.

Edited by szihn (25/09/19 07:23 AM)

szihn
.400 member

#332695 - 25/09/19 07:27 AM

Hey Ripp... Just as a side note.

I have hunted antelope several times with a bow. I have been really close quite a number of times too, but I can't seem to draw the arrow back without them seeing me and bolting. I have only ever shot one time with an arrow and I did kill that one. But other than that one time I have never even let an arrow go on any other antelope. Shooting them from my belly with a hand gun or any rifle is not all that hard, but doing it with a bow seems impossible for me so far.

Any tips?

DarylS
.700 member

#332696 - 25/09/19 07:39 AM

Umm practice? Belly crawling after game is not something I even consider. "Course, around here, that opportunity just doesn't seem to occur very often. Shooting from that position won't get you over the brush. Mostly offhand, or resting on a branch, if possible.
Bi-pod on the truck hood works too.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#332707 - 25/09/19 11:36 AM

Quote:

Hey Ripp... Just as a side note.

I have hunted antelope several times with a bow. I have been really close quite a number of times too, but I can't seem to draw the arrow back without them seeing me and bolting. I have only ever shot one time with an arrow and I did kill that one. But other than that one time I have never even let an arrow go on any other antelope. Shooting them from my belly with a hand gun or any rifle is not all that hard, but doing it with a bow seems impossible for me so far.

Any tips?

What has worked for me is either spot and stalk or using a decoy during the rut.. if using a decoy, I can usually get pulled back with my bow behind the decoy as they are coming in.. still get busted.. but normally, depending how rutted up they are, can get a shot off..

Spot and stalk.. if I get within range.. I come to full draw and then rise up to let fly with the arrow .. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.. but that has been the most effective for me.. the last one I shot was actually bedded down behind a little bit of a rise/hill.. snuck up behind..knocked my arrow while kneeling.. then slowly rose up .. he spotted me and stood up..by then my arrow was on its way..

I do enjoy hunting them a lot.. rifle or bow.. they are just a lot of fun.. quick little guys with absolutely amazing eyesight .. amazing speed.. and good hearing.. certainly a worthy opponent..

Back when I first started hunting them, I always did spot and stalk with a rifle as well.. belly crawl when getting close..staying behind cover getting into position.. there is a lot of them and if you blow the stalk..its on to the next group.. or stay there..it seems sooner or later they will be back ..

Good hunting to you and your wife.. my wife likes to hunt them as well.. A LOT..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#332763 - 27/09/19 07:39 AM

This is a little guy I shot a couple years back.. I was actually out elk hunting.. saw him bedded behind a small hill.. I crawled up on him.. come to full draw and stood up.. he stood and looked at me.. mistake on his part..

DSC01299 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

This is one I took further back in time.. I took a neighbors kids out with me in the blind..
the buck come in .. but not close enough.. some others come running by so he started walking in their direction.. I got out of the blind crawling after him in the grass.. wasn't catching up..so, I knelt up, ranged him, come to full draw and whistled.. he spun to look at me.. I let fly and hit him in the throat...

Art_Schmoog_Speedy_2 by A Hoffart, on Flickr

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#332771 - 28/09/19 02:54 AM

Well done, Art.
Tough hunting with a stick bow & even the compound bow.
ANY deer or antelope with a bow, any bow, is a trophy, especially in that flat land.

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

#332772 - 28/09/19 04:09 AM

Well maybe I should try a decoy. I have been within my range (only about 25 yards) with a bow on antelope hunts probably 15 times but I have never once been able to draw and not have them see me. The ONLY one I ever got was behind a large rock as he walked by and he luckily walked up on me. My shot was from about 6-7 feet. But that was my one (and so far,) my only archery shot I've ever had at an antelope.

But on a happier note:
Anna and I are now done shooting for 2019 on antelope . She got her 2 and I got my last one yesterday.
She used her Mauser 30-06 and I used my Savage M99 in 300 Savage.
I'll cut and wrap meat on Sunday.

Next is elk and deer. Hope to get 2 bulls, 2 doe White Tails and one Buck Mule Deer.

Edited by szihn (28/09/19 04:10 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#332774 - 28/09/19 04:58 AM

Good Luck, Steve.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#332776 - 28/09/19 05:17 AM

Quote:

Good Luck, Steve.

Agreed.. good luck..

I am headed out for a couple days to chase elk round and hopefully get a chance to throw a sharp stick in their direction..

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#332812 - 29/09/19 09:55 PM

Quote:

Umm practice? Belly crawling after game is not something I even consider. "Course, around here, that opportunity just doesn't seem to occur very often. Shooting from that position won't get you over the brush. Mostly offhand, or resting on a branch, if possible.
Bi-pod on the truck hood works too.

You should carry shooting sticks. They work very well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: NitroX]
      #332813 - 29/09/19 09:56 PM

Good luck Steve and Art.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: NitroX]
      #332817 - 30/09/19 01:30 AM

Sounds great.

Have a good time in the field!

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

szihn
.400 member

Re: 2019 Antelope buck [Re: tinker]
      #333073 - 06/10/19 06:37 AM

Well I have a break now. My friends got their 2 antelope and their 2 deer each, and are all done.

I have 4 days to wait until elk opens, so now I get to go back to my shop and work for the next 3 days. 3 more days in the shop is 3 I don't have to make up after the elk, antelope and buck deer seasons. Starting on the 9th and going to the 2nd week in November I am going to be very busy with my own hunting, helping my wife some with hers as well as taking 4 others out. 2 of them are 1st timers, and I always enjoy that. Getting the first game animal is a thrill of a life time and I have a lady (51) and a young man(24)to take out. Both for big mule deer.
I hope I can put them into range of their game. We'll see. Both shoot well, but have never squeezed a trigger on a living animal.

I am helping an 81 year old man too. He's a very knowledgeable hunter with many many years of experience, but at 81 he needs a set of younger legs and a younger back. I an not young myself anymore, but I can still help him out. He has 7 tags to fill. 4 deer 2 antelope one elk.

So far the 2019 season has been 100%

I pray the Lord it will continue to be that good for all the hunting to come this year.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3194

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com