Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: guideing in Alaska

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
ant458
.224 member

Reged: 02/11/07
Loc: georgia usa
guideing in Alaska
      #237878 - 16/11/13 05:59 PM

been thinking of guide work in Alaska does having fire&ems training help when it comes to working as a guide

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: guideing in Alaska [Re: ant458]
      #237906 - 17/11/13 03:44 PM

That'd be a necessity for this type of work.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

ant458
.224 member

Re: guideing in Alaska [Re: AkMike]
      #237926 - 18/11/13 01:07 AM

thanks the reason I was asking IS I was a volunteerfire fighter and emergency medical first responder for 3 years in the little town I live in

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #237936 - 18/11/13 04:51 AM

Not to discourage you, but - How much Northern, cold and wet weather bush experience/survival do you have - a primary per-requisite, imho?

How much game experience do you have - moose, grizzlies (inland and coastal), sheep, caribou, deer, black bear, deer?

Then
How much firearms experience do you have.

Are you planning on moving to Alaska to learn to be a guide. I'd think that the best approach - to get hired on as an assistant - camp help/assistant guide, to learn the trade.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: guideing in Alaska [Re: DarylS]
      #237939 - 18/11/13 05:25 AM

He'd need a bunch of time as an assistant to a master guide in order to get an endorsement form that master as being suitable for his own license IIRC.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: guideing in Alaska [Re: AkMike]
      #237955 - 18/11/13 10:48 AM

There is a young man from my town that went up to Alaska last summer and got on as a general worker for a large outfit. He worked hard (and the work was though with long hours). A more senior position opened up and he's been invited to return in the spring for the "promotion". Down here in the lower 48 he could probably be a guide almost anywhere, but from what I understand Alaska is a whole different animal. I also recommend that you get your foot in the door as a lackey at the place you want to work, put your nose to the grindstone (smoking salmon, hauling gear, or some other thankless task) pay your dues and work for the opportunities to move up the food chain... Good luck Jack London!

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: guideing in Alaska [Re: crkennedy1]
      #237964 - 18/11/13 02:13 PM

While firearms, first aid and taxidermy training and hunting experience is a portion of the job, the ability to get along with people under often trying situations is the most important skill a guide must possess.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

ant458
.224 member

Re: guideing in Alaska [Re: 458Win]
      #238039 - 20/11/13 07:11 AM

I have a fair amount of experience in cold weather hunting and bear hunting although only black bear that's what helped me choose the the rifles that I prefer to use for bear hunting

ant458
.224 member

#238042 - 20/11/13 07:31 AM

that's very true 458 win it can get very trying in a stressful situation for everyone to keep their cool thats want happened last year when me and and two of my closest friends where hunting black bear one of them wounded a really good bear he got himself so worked up over it that we had a hard time getting him to calm down but it all ended well I followed it's blood trail and finished it off with my 30-06

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #238060 - 20/11/13 04:47 PM

From what I have seen from these sorts of queries over the years.

First one must have a set of skills. The ability to shoot well is really a given, and not the most important. A whole range of skills is often required including skinning, caping, stalking, tracking, riding, motor mechanic, cooking, knowledge of game, trophy estimation, local knowledge of the hunting area etc. What a guide or PH has to do depends on where they are and the setup. In Australia sometimes the guide is it, and does everything. Sometimes they have a cook/helper. In Africa a PH might have a cast of thousands, trackers, cooks, cleaners, waiters, skinners, butchers, drivers, gardeners etc etc to help them do what an Aussie guide may have to do alone.

As Phil says, people skills rank at the top. Nothing stops repeat business and word of mouth recommendations to other potential clients than having a useless, grumpy, arrogant, opinionated, lazy, idiotic etc guide or PH.

Secondly one way into the business is contacts. Getting recommended by a good client, relative, friend etc, may get one an introduction.

In Australia some guys end up guiding simply because they are good at what they do and are personable. As most Aussie hunters hunt pretty much 100% self-guided (a funny term here actually as it is an alien term) and 100% self-outfitted (again an alien term), what is the difference to guiding clients, other than doing it for someone else and being personable.

Failing the usual way some seem to get into the business by being an unpaid, or very lowly paid helper, doing all the shit jobs for a season or two, for next to no pay. Not living in grand client style accommodation but the hot airless tin shack around the back. Eating small portions at meals, only drinking juice or water at dinner - have a look sometime, often the apprentice gets bad looks from the boss if they drink a soft drink. Showing work ethic, friendliness, perseverance, team work, etc as well as the other skills. There is no doubt some get taken advantage of, but some also work through their "apprenticeships" and end up fully qualified and employed doing what they want to.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: guideing in Alaska [Re: NitroX]
      #238062 - 20/11/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

From what I have seen from these sorts of queries over the years.

some seem to get into the business by being an unpaid, or very lowly paid helper, doing all the shit jobs for a season or two, for next to no pay. Not living in grand client style accommodation but the hot airless tin shack around the back. Eating small portions at meals, only drinking juice or water at dinner - have a look sometime, often the apprentice gets bad looks from the boss if they drink a soft drink. Showing work ethic, friendliness, perseverance, team work, etc as well as the other skills. There is no doubt some get taken advantage of, but some also work through their "apprenticeships" and end up fully qualified and employed doing what they want to.

Or you can end up on the other end of the globe freezing you asses off --- but at least we offer plenty of tuck, a healthy grog ration and all the scenery you can eat.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #238089 - 21/11/13 03:13 AM

Some hunters are GREAT - it's like hunting with friends and they become long lasting friends - with open invitations running both ways. Many I still carry on regular e-mail with, decades later - while others you cannot forget soon enough. Goes with the territory and you must be able to get along with all of them while they are in you care. Yes - with some, it's like baby sitting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2750

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com