Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Today's hunting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Today's hunting
      #119555 - 26/11/08 11:37 PM

Hello Folks,

Although I’ve been primarily hunting with the 66 caliber stalking rifle Steve Zihn built for me, today I hunted an area with a large open expanse. My scoped, modern muzzleloader was more appropriate. The wind was blowing a pure gale, 40+ mph and howling from the north, with some cold rain from time to time. I was in a hide facing to the west. About 4:00 pm the wind subsided and the sun came out. Within 10 minutes three deer walked into view. Quietly removing my gloves and raising my gun, I realized the glare from the setting sun made it impossible to see through the scope. I turned down the Leupold VX III 2.5-8x scope, but no help. I tried to reposition so a shadow fell on the objective lens, but couldn’t. A cloud passed over, and the image jumped out, but was too fleeting to make the shot. I looked up and noted another cloud coming, got ready, and the scope cleared with the crosshairs perfectly lined up. Stop breath, fire, and the deer took off. I mentally reviewed the very difficult shot, and knew it was a solid hit, at between 150 and 200 yards. Sure enough, a bright red blood trail led to the doe about 50 yards away. She weighed 81 lbs, field dressed, which is a fairly large deer here in Eastern Virginia.

Take care, Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
Re: Today's hunting [Re: Tatume]
      #119557 - 27/11/08 01:31 AM

Sounds like a good hunt.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Today's hunting [Re: WyoJoe]
      #119559 - 27/11/08 01:40 AM

Thanks, Tom.

What caliber & load the modern smokepole?

Always interested in critter-sizes, too!

Thanks for posting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Today's hunting [Re: 9.3x57]
      #119575 - 27/11/08 06:22 AM

Well, I shouldn't give the actual load, as the builder is afraid someone will use it in a Savage 10 ML II. The gun is a custom muzzleloader by Tom Post (http://www.swinglock.net/index.htm). The load I'm using right now runs a Sierra 300 gr 45 cal pistol bullet at 2550 fps. It is sighted in two inches high at 100 yards, and falls two inches low at 200.

Just now came in from fishing. We're having rockfish (striped bass) for dinner tonight. Friday I'll go hunting again.

Take care, Tom

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Today's hunting [Re: Tatume]
      #119576 - 27/11/08 06:46 AM

tom you lead a blessed life, may it be so forever. (only a bit green with envy)

best

peter

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1517

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com