Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: American Dangerous Game

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
American Dangerous Game
      #212 - 30/12/02 02:19 PM

In the same vein as the American Top 5.

What are the dangerous game species of North America?

Which animals would you rate as American Dangerous Game?

And have you tangled with any of them and survived?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitro

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."

http://NitroExpress.com

First Previous 2-9 of 9 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

AS FOLLOWS1.KODIAK Bear2.Polar Bear3.Grizzly Bear4.Puma a.k.a.Moutain lion.5.Bob cat or Lynx.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

I agree but number 1 would have to be the little american women,and i have tangled with a few

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

A couple of questions:

1. Kodiak bear and Grizzly bear - aren't they the same species, even if sub-species, but from different locations? Kodiak from the Kodiak peninsula, and Grizzlys from Alaska, Canada and North West USA?

2. Bob cat / Lynx - how dangerous are they? Do they attack adult or child humans as prey or is it if they are wounded? Can they be legally hunted?

Redbeard

You are too cryptic! Please explain what you mean by "little american women" so a dumb southernor (me) (ie a real one not all you Northernors) can be educated. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitro

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning"

Http://NitroExpress.com

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Acctually to my knowledge the Kodiak is a different species of bear and not a subspecies,I could be wrong.As for the bobcat yes it is legal to hunt him.How dangerous he is depends on the amount of natural prey in his habitate.

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Well if ya are really from the south,you would know about cast iron fry pans.I always thought the kod was a sub

Recommend Delete Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Gunner

So do Bobcat attack humans unprovoked?

Redbeard

If you look up on a clear night and can't see the Southern Cross, youre a "northernor"!

A traditional camp kitchen piece of equipment down here is the cast iron "camp oven". A large medium deep pot with a lid, the lid having a shallow lip. Also three or four small legs. The camp oven can be heated by putting coals underneath and for extra heat putting a shovel load on the lid. The lip keeps the ash from falling in when lifting the lid with a pair of pliers.

Used for cooking stews or Aussie bush bread "damper".

African also use nice little cast iron pots with longer legs. Nice little things. If they weren't so heavy and blucky I would bring a couple home with me.

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

What about "gaitors"?

The American alligator of the Florida Everglades and assorted other Southern states.

Should they be included as American Dangerous Game?

Jaguar?

If we are talking about North American dangerous game, do the Jaguar cats still exist in Central America and Southern Mexico? Indeed I think there were reports of sightings recently even in Southern USA! Possibly a release or escapee of course.

Nitro

http://NitroExpress.com

Recommend Delete Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

yes bobcats do occasianly do attack people as far as gators go I do not know if it is legal to hunt any other than those that might be a danger to the human population in an area they were on the endagered species list here last I heard. and Redbeard the question was game animals not dangerous preditors.Soo femalesof the human persuasion don't count.

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Loc: Web
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: Prev_Forum]
      #213 - 30/12/02 02:20 PM

ed as American
Dangerous Game?
>Jaguar?
>If we are talking about North American dangerous game, do the Jaguar cats
still exist in Central America and Southern Mexico? Indeed I think there
were reports of sightings recently even in Southern USA! Possibly a release
or escapee of course.
>
Here in Montana we have the Grizzly bear. I think he falls
in that dangerous game. The only probulem is he is protected
here in Montana. Alaska has the only huntable numbers in the U.S.
they are incredabley strong and can run 35mph. We also have Mt. Lion
that could be dangerous. One male lion attack my nephew durning
hunting season 4 years ago scared the hell out of him to say the
least. He killed the lion but was still shaking 2 hours later
when I saw him.

First Previous 2-4 of 4 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

All the kodiak brown bear is an over grown grizzly
there is no difference between the Alaskan Brown Bear
and the Grizzly. The major difference is the size.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Hunt375 are you sure?I had a friend from Alaska that swore up and down that the were two different species of bear.I am not a zoooligist or bioligist so I couldn't say for sure myself, once they get that large I don't try to tell the difference.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Gunner

As I understand it they are the same species. The Kodiak and Grizzly.

The Kodiak gets his name from Kodiak Island and is a bigger version of the species due to the rich diet available on and around Kodiak Island. Thus they can grow to a much larger size.

Nitro

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Mac
.224 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: USA
      #851 - 13/01/03 05:18 AM

#1) Polar Bear
#2) Brown/Grizzly Bear
#3) Black Bear
#4) Jaguar
#5) Mountain Lion

And an honorable mention for the redhead.

Mac

--------------------
A double rifle without hammers is like a hound dog without ears.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #2251 - 31/03/03 03:37 AM

My vote is with Mac on this one.

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #2261 - 31/03/03 07:09 AM

Close quarters, Coastal Brown Bear or Interior Grizzly in the alders.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#3335 - 17/06/03 09:26 AM

Just thought I'd toss this into the ring for some consideration. The only times I've actually been fearful of something nasty happening to me when it came to animals in the wild were incidents involving Whitetail Deer. I used to do some guiding on a 3500 acre hunting preserve here in Pennsylvania, and twice, within a week, during the rut, I had bucks come in toward me and a client. Both times, the bucks ears were laid back flat against its neck, walking stiff legged, slow and very deliberate. The one buck got to within 10 feet of us before my client decided to shoot the damn thing. I asked him why it took him so long, and he told me he thought I was just building up the threat so he'd have a story to tell. He said he never heard of deer becoming agressive. Turned out this was the first time he ever went hunting.
The other buck incident occurred not 100 yards from the one mentioned above. In that case, we were walking back to the Bronco when we observed a nice 10 pointer walking toward us, exhibitting the same agressive behavior. We got into the Bronco, and then the buck charged the driver's side door, and ran its antlers through the side of the door, tearing my pants.
I guess we have to include Bambi in the group of dangerous animals now.

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #3648 - 08/07/03 12:37 PM

I for one wouldn't want to suffer the displeasure of a bison, especially one of those big bulls that look like a Volkswagen with horns.

Luckily, our game in North America must wake up on the right side of the bed. Remember that cougar are normally larger than leopard, black bear get as big as lion, and bison can out weigh as buff by 500 lbs. Not to mention the kodiak/grizzly which looks more like a furry earth moving machine than an animal!

We have a very low injury rate from all of the above. The wild animal that causes the most damage to people in the US is the deer. We keep hitting them with cars and they keep going through the windshield

food for thought,

Rick

Edited by Rick_R (08/07/03 12:42 PM)

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: Rick_R]
      #3733 - 10/07/03 03:01 PM

I know what you mean about the Bison. The manager of the game preserve I mentioned above, had his back fractured in 3 places by an ornery old bull that caught him off guard.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #3995 - 09/08/03 03:56 AM

Gentelmen, the State of Alaska considers the Inland Grizzly, and the coastal Brown bear as one species,for licenseing, and as HUNT375 says, the main difference is size. However, for trophy considerations the Caostal Brown Bear Bear is the Bear found from the coast, to 50 miles inland, and the bears found out side that coastal strip are called inland grizzlies, or tundra grizzlies. The inland grizzly is far more aggressive, than the Coastal brown Bear. The reason being, the inland grizzly has to cover a approximetly 100 sq mile terratory to make a liveing, while the Caostal Brown, has a much more steady and plentiful food supply. The Brown's diet of very high protene rich Salmon, accounts for his much larger size, and his lack of aggression in mastering his range. He has simply to move to the next stream.

Either one of these bears is a danger to man, if he gets too close, or surprises him in the thick alders. If the bears has an opening when he sees a man at any distance, he will move away!

As far as the large bears are concearned, the polar is far more dangerous that any other bear. The polar is the only animal in North America that will actually stalk man for food. Because of his habitate, he considers anything that moves on the ice to be food. Though he is smaller than the Coastal Brown, he is more of a true danger to man in his habitate!

As to listing dangerous game for North America, I would list them this way, in order of danger:

#1 Polar Bear (second largest bear)

#2 Inland Grizzley, (about 2/3 the size of the Brown)

#3 Coastal Brown Bear (largest bear)

#4 Lower 48 Grizzley ( about half the size of the inland grizz, about the size of a 1 yr old Brown bear cub, rarely over 400 lbs)

#5 Black Bear ( average of about 150 lbs )

#6 Big Russian boar, if wounded, or cornered!

#7 Mt Lion, In areas where all hunting of them has been curtailed they are a danger to adults, but in areas where they are hunted, they are only a danger to small children, and pets. To hunters, only when wouded or cornered!

#8 American alligator, only if wadeing, or swimimg in the dark of night!

Bobcats, Lynx, Coyotes, and wolves, are not a danger to anything but livestock!

Jaguar is so rare any place north of the Pannama Canal, he can't be considered North American game today!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #4007 - 10/08/03 03:11 PM

Boy Duga,you could stir up a real hornets nest with that statement that the Polar is the 2nd largest, that one has been going on almost as long as the 45 vs 9mm debate, but I do agree a Polar fears nothing, especialy the big boars, will more than likely never see another, but the one I did see up close was impressive, here in the South I would say the most dangerous would be
1.Black bear
2.boar
3.wild dog

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

Star59
.224 member

Reged: 21/02/06
Loc: Nevada
      #55099 - 18/04/06 12:57 PM

Most dangerous game in America- roulette in Las Vegas. Believe me, I know.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #55176 - 19/04/06 06:19 AM

In reply to:

Gentelmen, the State of Alaska considers the Inland Grizzly, and the coastal Brown bear as one species,for licenseing, and as HUNT375 says, the main difference is size. However, for trophy considerations the Caostal Brown Bear Bear is the Bear found from the coast, to 50 miles inland, and the bears found out side that coastal strip are called inland grizzlies, or tundra grizzlies. The inland grizzly is far more aggressive, than the Coastal brown Bear. The reason being, the inland grizzly has to cover a approximetly 100 sq mile terratory to make a liveing, while the Caostal Brown, has a much more steady and plentiful food supply. The Brown's diet of very high protene rich Salmon, accounts for his much larger size, and his lack of aggression in mastering his range. He has simply to move to the next stream.

Either one of these bears is a danger to man, if he gets too close, or surprises him in the thick alders. If the bears has an opening when he sees a man at any distance, he will move away!

As far as the large bears are concearned, the polar is far more dangerous that any other bear. The polar is the only animal in North America that will actually stalk man for food. Because of his habitate, he considers anything that moves on the ice to be food. Though he is smaller than the Coastal Brown, he is more of a true danger to man in his habitate!

The location in determining Brown Bears vs. Grizzly Bears seems to be a moving target. In the past that line has moved from the curve of the Alaska Range to 150 miles inland to whatever it is now. Middendorfi was originally differeniated to describe the bears on Kodiak Island, but has since morphed into the "Brown Bear" classification. I'm not sure B&C concurs with SCI's breakdown of the location, but suspect they would. There has been a lag time for B&C in the past to accept SCI's definition.

I'm not sure I would accept the idea that inland grizzlies are more aggressive to humans that Browns. I think a lot depends on location. The bears on Montague or Hinchinbrook Islands are notorious for their aggression, while those at Katmai are more accepting of human intrusion. In my opinion, the individual bear is wild card and generalizations about aggression can be misleading.

I also disagree that the Polar bear is the only one that will stalk a man for food (or any other reason). This isn't the case and there are documented instances where black, browns, and grizzlies have stalked humans for food. Again, it seems to be more up to the individual bear than any specie or location generalization.

Bears are bears and should never be taken lightly.

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: DPhillips]
      #55645 - 25/04/06 02:40 AM

All bears have the potential to be predatory towards people, they are however inefficient killers and as a result their victims die unpleasantly, or survive with horrible scarring.

The following just happens to be from a polar bear attack which took place on the southern extremity of Baffin Island -

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: Boomer]
      #55648 - 25/04/06 03:10 AM

Ouch! It hurts just to look at those photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: Boomer]
      #55655 - 25/04/06 05:52 AM

Wow! If I go camping there or anywhere near there, I'm going to keep my .500NE right by my side.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: CptCurl]
      #55659 - 25/04/06 07:45 AM

I will admit that after reading of these encounters that "camping out" now means a 45 Bisley revolver for carry and a 12 gauge double barreled shotty with Brennekes for the tent at night.

In discussing bear stories a friend at the gunsmith's related how a female camper was pulled from one of three tents and killed one night years ago around Yellowstone. The other tents had people,lights on and food inside.The only reason they could think of for her possible selection was she was menstrating, causing the bear to select her.

Bears--serious business!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: hoppdoc]
      #55778 - 26/04/06 07:04 AM

Yes those Brenneke Black Magic 607 grain hardened slugs would be stout medicine for a bear of any size. I'd pack them in my double barrel slugger and rest easy...

Double barrels with MONSTER slugs (with no chambering and no throwing a bolt, produce a very confidence inducing protective feeling).

Nasty and amazing looking photos eh? That guy was basically scalped by the bear, but looks like he escaped brain damage or deep cranial damage of any sort.

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: Yogi000]
      #56276 - 03/05/06 12:08 PM

any animal is dangerous when wounded. the big bears and the more northern wolves that tend to run in decent sized packs would be my top two...

the rest are a crap shoot...

moose are supposed to have a nasty reputaion too.

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

577500WR
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Anchorage, AK
      #56372 - 04/05/06 11:28 AM

The dangerous game in North America is a short list:

Grizzly Bear/ Brown Bear

Polar Bear

Mountain Lion

Black Bear

I agree that the Brown Bear and Grizzly bear are the same genetically. They differ only in that Brown has a great source of food for an extended period of time and is less tempermental than interior Grizzlies. Each bear has their own personality and finding out which each one has would be dangerous. Polar bears are at the top of an isolated food chain and exhibit little fear as everything they come across has the potential to be a meal and not a threat to them. Given the choice, I would rather get into it with a black bear as my odds of survival go up exponentially. I have had them climb onto my porch. I have had them get into my garage, and I have driven them away with handball sized rocks!

A mountain lion could be a ripper if it latched onto you and got those back legs engaged in the Arkansas Cultivator mode.

Then there are others that due to their numbers, like whitetail deer, cause more incidents per year than the bears that are not dangerous game. If the bear populations were identical to that of the whitetail, I think all of us would be shooting bears and the whitetail would not even be a thought.

That being said, I wish I had pictures of a man who worked on the North Slope and was attacked by a Polar Bear while in his living quarters. I know some of the docs that treated him and I can tell you his physical injuries were severe. This would include the loss of his lower and upper dentures. He also had one of the bears canines pierce his Radial Nerve and lose the use of his hand. The dentures did turn up in the bears stomach upon autopsy but for some reason the guy wanted a new pair. Go figure!

I have had grizzlies stalk me. I have had them lay in wait for me while caribou hunting, and I have had them false charge me. The one time I think was the most dangerous was a sow with 3 cubs that were about 150 pounds each. She smelled me and considered me a threat to her cubs. Fortunately, we got the boat off the bank ASAP and left about the same time she scooted into the brush on the same trail I came out on. We measured her height against a tree where she stood up after she left and it was well above my outstretched arm by a foot. So she was 9' tall standing!

2 days later I had a grizzly respond and come into a cow moose call using just my voice and my hands from over a 1/4 mile away. Be ready as they think you are food and in the dusk it can tell you that tense is an understatement.

I still have not had to shoot one yet. I would stand by my list in the order it is presented.

577/500WR

--------------------
Most folks nowadays think talking about guns is a perversity. I view the old guns as being a record of the industrial revolution transforming the ordinary into high art and functionality.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: 577500WR]
      #56450 - 05/05/06 12:34 PM

I hope he recovers without any lasting problems.

However, THAT is exactly why, when in bear country my wife and I wear our 44 Mags, in a holster, on a belt, with speed loaders when sleeping.

If a bear gets in the tent with you, and your gun is not ON YOUR PERSON, you will never find it in the "confusion.

We also keep our rifles loaded, one pointed one way one pointed the other.

You can NEVER be to safe in Bear Country.

Just ask the above fella, durring the ATTACK, HOW MUCH HE WOULD HAVE PAID FOR A PROPERLY LOADED 44 MAG.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: NE450No2]
      #56456 - 05/05/06 01:47 PM

You have no idea of the speed of a pissed off bear.
That 44 will not do any good other than give a false sense of security .

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: AkMike]
      #56460 - 05/05/06 02:11 PM

The best possible handgun in bear country is one with a very short barrel...that you can get into your mouth in a hurry!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: luv2safari]
      #56462 - 05/05/06 02:34 PM

True Story luv2safari!!!

Based of the size of the peoples feet in the backround of that pic. That bear is a 2-3 year old that is just done sucking mama's tit and on it's own for the first time. During the first couple of years they get pretty hungry since they haven't learned all there is to know yet. And since you can see the rocks it's summer or fall. The haven't eaten enough to say so since the ice went out in the spring. Chances are the campers had food in the area and the bear followed it nose to the camp.
Polar bears aren't afraid of man. To them everything that moves is food.
The bottom line is that nothing short of a hand held howitzer will do any good. The 44 makes a fine round for a hand gun but it's still no better than a dirty thirty, (30-30) No one in their right mind would consider going after a bear with a 30-30. even as a 'back up'.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

577500WR
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Anchorage, AK
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: AkMike]
      #56563 - 07/05/06 07:22 AM

I cannot disagree with AKMike. When a bear has a full adrenaline dump, like after you shoot one with a 44 Mag, it takes a junkyard of iron and lead to get them dissuaded or stopped. As I said in an earlier post, I haven't shot one. I did see one take 7 hard hits in the chest and spine before it was truly down. I have seen their feats of strength and am awed. Most of the time they will want nothing to do with you. Again...most of the time. I wish you could ask Timothy Treadwell as he became very expert in their attacks.

Their speed is nothing to be messed with and if you think you need a pistol, you'd do better not to fool yourself and think a 44 will do it. Yes, lots of folks get lucky and knock one down with a shot or two. You will want to carry a 454 Casull with double the Ft/lbs of energy. Many times it will still not be enough to keep you safe. Again, if you haven't seen one close the distance, then you will NOT be ready when they come for you. Like taking a pistol class and thinking you are ready to take on an intruder in your home at 3:00 in the morning.

So, when I go through the woods up here I look for bear scat. One day I am sure I will find a pile of doodoo with Capilene, bear bells, and a GPS in it. It could smell of pepper spray and maybe, just maybe I'll be the proud owner of an unfired stainless 44 that needs to be disinfected!

Cheers!

--------------------
Most folks nowadays think talking about guns is a perversity. I view the old guns as being a record of the industrial revolution transforming the ordinary into high art and functionality.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: American Dangerous Game [Re: 577500WR]
      #56791 - 10/05/06 04:36 PM

Gentlemen,
Rest assured, with a 44 Mag, with the proper ammo, Yea though I walk the valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil.
For my 44 Mag is at my side. Its heavy hard cast bullets comfort me, all the days of my life.

A properly handled 44 Mag, with the proper ammo, with proper shot placement Will IMMEDIATELY KILL any land animal on the Planet.

THE ONLY shot that will stop an animal for sure is a brain hit or maybe a upper CNS hit.

With a 44 Mag and proper ammo at least you have a chance.
[Or any other suitable handgun/ammo combo]
WITHOUT IT YOU ARE FOOD.

If you do not want to carry one/train your self in its proper use under stress, that is your choice, if so,
buy yourself a shirt that says I AM AN OSTRICH.
And when faced by a dangerous animal stick your head in the dirt.

I have shot a few dangerous animals up close, in the head, with the right gun/bullet, it works [so far] every time for me.

One day I might be killed by a dangerous animal, but it WILL be after I have busted a few caps... for sure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7392

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com