Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First problem with my Blanch 16 bore percussion.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
First problem with my Blanch 16 bore percussion.
      #330180 - 16/07/19 02:35 PM

Bought some #11 percussion caps today was going to shoot it. Caps are too small. Outside diameter of the nipple is .180 a #11 inside diameter is .162 measured with calipers. Anyone know of a cap that will work?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: First problem with my Blanch 16 bore percussion. [Re: casper50]
      #330193 - 17/07/19 12:13 AM

I think the next size up is a musket cap.

casper50
.400 member

Re: First problem with my Blanch 16 bore percussion. [Re: Wayne59]
      #330194 - 17/07/19 01:19 AM

Even though they did not looked flattened they must have been I took them to my friend with a lathe and he turned the back down so that the #11 fits now.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #330195 - 17/07/19 02:25 AM

That's good, however, if they are easily removed, I would do so and check to see if they have a smaller orifice at the bottom, or the top. Bottom is best.

Some of the early "tubes"(nipples) were just that and if just a straight hole inside, can be VERY hard on the hammers (cocks) and main springs due to pressure coming up the "tube".

If just straight tubes, then they should be replaced with modern ones.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

casper50
.400 member

Re: First problem with my Blanch 16 bore percussion. [Re: DarylS]
      #330672 - 29/07/19 06:28 AM

Thought I'd post a real short video of the first shot through the approximately 150 year old Blanch 16 bore. 1st try was a misfire. It fired with a new cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBHjhpOE74

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#330673 - 29/07/19 06:44 AM

So - right barrel had some oil or 'some other sort of blockage' in the nipple's flash channel. That is common, especially if the gun was stored butt down. Event hen, we normally fire a cap or two to clear that flash channel before loading. Did you re-cap and fire the right barrel?
I noticed you did fire the left in the video.

--------------------
Daryl

casper50
.400 member

#330684 - 29/07/19 02:22 PM

Yes recapped and fired. Will remember to fire a cap before loading. What a mess when cleaning.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#330689 - 30/07/19 12:40 AM

If I might make a suggestion, pointing the muzzles at a blade of grass or weed to see it move with the caps fire, shows the flash channel is open.

If one is new to shooting and cleaning a BP gun, this can seem a daunting task. This it the method I use & find very simple, and quick. About 10 to 15 minutes is all that is needed. It is messier than cleaning a modern gun due to needing water, but takes less time until finished. A bad-fouling modern rifle can take days to clean. Not so with a Muzzle Loader. Please to not use HOT water. This will cause flash rusting, which is accumulative - especially in twisted or 12L14 barrel steel.

With the loads and methods of loading my 14 bore or any of my guns (except for the 20 bore when shooting shot,) the water is barely a grey-ish colour when finished cleaning. I stick the breech (nipples removed) in the container of cool water I use, a 2 litre stainless pail or 3 pound Folgers plastic coffee can. No need for soaps or other emulsifiers as ordinary water is BP's best cleaner. A tight enough patch is used for cleaning to draw water up to the muzzles, then pushed hard down to blast the fouling and water out the nipple seats. This also cleans the breech cavity of patent breeches very well.

Normally takes 1 cleaning patch per tube, and 4 or 5 drying patches. When the bore/bores are dry the last patch is difficult to pull out. THAT is a dry bore.

After drying the barrels, I spray WD 40 into the muzzle until it runs out the breech, either vent in my flinters or the nipple seat. I then take a dry patch, flannelette doubled being the best I have found. We turn the jags down until we can use doubled cloth. The jag is held in an electric drill in a vice and run against a file to reduce it's diameter, or in a lathe. The thick flannelette patch improves drying as well as easily cleans & dries to the bottom of deeply grooved barrels.

Hope this helps. I find cleaning up a barrel like on my 14 and 20 bore guns, due to the hooked breeches, is about a 10 minute job. I use the oiling patch that I blast out excess lube out the breech, for wiping down the outside of the gun. If you live in a high humidity climate, better rust protection should be used.

Hoppe's #9 powder solvent is one of the better ones. Some guys like Sheath, Break-Free CLP and others. Hoppe's and Browning gun oil are not as good at preventing rust, as the old Hoppe's #9 powder solvent.

BP guns should be stored muzzle down, for at least a few days after cleaning. This allows any excess oil to drain out the muzzles. an absorbent cloth under the muzzles will prevent messes.

Before loading, a dry patch should be run down & back out the bores, before capping and firing that off.

When shooting shot from BP smoothbores, there will be a LOT more accumulated fouling in the tube/tubes, thus VERY black water. Some guys use a new bucket of water for each barrel.

--------------------
Daryl

Heelerau
.300 member

Reged: 31/01/17
Loc: Australia
      #331103 - 13/08/19 09:45 AM

I would add if there are any gaps in the soldered seam holding the ribs, flood that area with WD40 so you get no rust occurring between the barrel. My bottom rib has lifted for about 1/4 of an inch near the breeches and that is what I do with my own gun. I would likely put new nipples in, Track of the Wolf has a good selection, if you are unable to find a thread and size match I can put you in touch with a long range muzzle loading shooter in the States who makes custom nipples, he has done several for me.

Cheers

Gordon

--------------------
Keep your horse well shod and your powder dry !

Edited by Heelerau (13/08/19 09:48 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2594

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com