Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How SHORT?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
How SHORT?
      #353814 - 28/05/21 09:54 AM

Ive got a percussion SxS muzzle loading shotgun and Im looking to make it into a Sawed Off Shotgun. Since its a muzzleloader theres no legal requirements about barrel length. This will be 99% a toy and 1% a fun and I and retails for hope relatively easy to do project. I was inspired by the movie Eldorado and a buddy who has lost most of his sight; but still manages to smile everyday.

Un like the movie shotgun I wont be cutting off the stock and carrying it in a holster. I may slightly shorten the stock; but I want it to be "fire-able" from the shoulder. The donor gun is an old Navy Arms SxS in 12 ga. It has a straight stock (no curved grip). I would have preferred a 10 ga and a semi pistol grip style stock; but it is what it is, so Im working with what I have at hand.

My question is how short seems right? Pedersoli makes the "Baker shotgun" with a straight stock and barrels only 11 inches long. Its only 20 ga its also $1100. It doesnt look balanced with barrels that short. Right now Im thinking 14" seems about right for a full stock gun. I dont want to go much longer than 14 inches. If go any longer I might as well just start with a cartridge SxS gun at 18 inches

I had originally planned to just use the stock for the Pedersoli Howdah BUT there dont seem to be ANY available (on a side note none of the buttstocks for the BP revolvers seem to be available anywhere)

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Re: How SHORT? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #353825 - 28/05/21 11:19 PM

WOW, cutting up a good gun,,,,you have Brass B@!!s for sure. If 14 suits you then just DO IT!!!

--------------------
Longknife

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: How SHORT? [Re: Longknife]
      #353836 - 29/05/21 09:42 AM

Quote:

WOW, cutting up a good gun,,,,you have Brass [Email]B@!!s[/Email] for sure. If 14 suits you then just DO IT!!!

Hahaha you sound just like my buddy but he doesnt understand that the full length shotgun is just a canvas to me. I have no use for it in its original specs. Once its cut to a more portable length it will be a masterpiece....

--------------------

ironoxide
.224 member

Reged: 14/08/19
Loc: Poland
Re: How SHORT? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #354786 - 02/07/21 06:54 PM

Personally I think 11 is a bit short. I have the Pedersoli howdah with 11 inch smooth 20ga barrels (and 58 cal rifles, but that's BTW) and it carries good dense pattern to 25~30 meters, but the velocity at that distance is insufficient to break clay.

I also have a Pedersoli SxS 12ga (muzzleloading). It has light "almost 29 inch" barrels and last time I took it to a clay shoot I could lhit from the cylinder barrel at 30m. I even got few lucky "long shots" from the improved barrel at 45-50m! If you asked me I would say it is impossible to hit at that distance, but it did happen few times :-)

My load for the 12ga is 80 grains of VesuvitLC (2f/3f mix equivalent), a Pedersoli thick(3/4 inch) cork wad. 1.25 ounce lead and a card wad on top. It shoots beautifully.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: How SHORT? [Re: ironoxide]
      #354788 - 02/07/21 09:15 PM

I ended up with 14". I wanted to go shorter but figured 14" was a good starting point. This isnt a bird gun or a hunting gun-I have plenty of those. I wanted is as a get off my lawn gun, OR a who the F are you at 2am gun AND just because its damn fun.

OK Ill admit I got the idea from ELDORADO, the John Wayne movie. The gunsmith said a guy carried it who didnt see well and he would just point it at the noise and that was all great until the music was too loud, so he just shot the piano player.....

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1419

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com