Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: High-tech Flints

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
High-tech Flints
      #185705 - 12/07/11 09:31 PM

Hello Folks,

One of the reasons why I knap my own flints is that I’m interested in the process, including the materials. I use American flint, which isn’t as good as English or French flint, but it’s what I have. Surprisingly, I found a nice nodule on Cape Hatteras a couple of weeks ago.

I’m also familiar with agate rifle flints, which are sawn rather than knapped. Although I own two, they are sealed in the original packaging, as I bought them only to learn about them. I do not own any lapidary equipment, so could not reproduce agate flints. I wouldn’t use them because they just don’t look right.

More high-tech flints exist, as I’ve read about ceramic flints. Supposedly they are so stout that they outlast any traditional or sawn agate flint. I’ve never seen one, or even a picture of one, and I would like to know more about them. Have any of you ever seen, used, or know where to find ceramic flints? What can you tell me about them? My interest is purely academic, but I might purchase one or two for my collection.

Thank you.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: High-tech Flints [Re: Tatume]
      #185718 - 13/07/11 02:16 AM

Can't help you, Tom - I've never seen nor heard of a ceramic flint.

I did try a carbaloy flint - dull sparks & must be exceptionally sharp. A green wheel is needed for that(which isn't a problem)- the trouble comes from poor or cool sparking.

I normally use both English (Tom Fuller) flints and a chert flint napped by an American fellow over on ALR site. They are wonderful sparkers. He doesn't anneal the rock so they are very hard and most are exceptionally sharp on every side when received. Napping is must a bit more difficult than with English flints due to their hardness. Couple of my locks bounce sparks off the floor, with the 'flints'.

Some locks love them, some not so much, but all of mine do.

He calls them River Rocks.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gunsports
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/11
Loc: South Africa
Re: High-tech Flints [Re: DarylS]
      #192976 - 03/11/11 10:40 PM

I saw an advert in one of the old magazines advertising these aluminum something flints. Guaranteed for 5 years they said. Down here, we do not get maturally occuring flint material; we have to import our flints at huge cost. So, I was very interested.

Turned out these flints were made from the same material they use to line refractory walls. Got hold of some of the little tiles and proceeded to make me some. Had to use a diamond wheel to cut them. Made a few and tested them.

Now, if your frizzen is in any way case hardened; know that these flints will eat through the case in short order. They are 99 on the hardness scale (out of 100) and show frizzens no mercy.

Still have one or two around for dire emergencies. But, I rather buy flints from England than replace frizzens.

--------------------
If it ain't a ball, it ain't a bullet ...

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: High-tech Flints [Re: gunsports]
      #192998 - 04/11/11 06:35 AM

Thank you.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2331

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com