Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kodiak 12 bore data from shoot today

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
Kodiak 12 bore data from shoot today
      #44510 - 21/12/05 12:37 PM

Just came back from shooting it. Heres the results thus far.

1. 80 Grs Pyrodex FFg Hogdens 975 FPS best.

2. 120 Grs " " " 1197 FPS best.

3. 130 Grs " " " 1298 FPS best.

This is with a .715 lead round ball 545 grs weight.

Bench rest group, best was with 80 grs and about 3". Higher FPS caused crossing at 50 yrds but spread was only 5" and barrel groups were about 1.5". My shooting was not the greatest and I'm sure I flinched on the large loads. Also some of the loads I tried no swabbing between rounds and some I did. That seemed to help with flyers. I think the way to shoot it is to sight the rear sight for the righ barrel and adjust for crossing for close quarter shooting and sight the rear sight for the left barrel and long range shooting. A delta of 5 inches with open sights at 50 to 100 yrds is more luck than gun I think. I think I can get the groups tigher with a little smithing and testing .

Colorado.

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: Kodiak 12 bore data from shoot today [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #44514 - 21/12/05 01:06 PM

Jason: Thanks for the post. I'm all ears as to what you find works in your .72, as I am thinking of getting another one myself.
Can't recall -- do you have Graeme Wright's book? Not much on muzzleloaders, but lots on the mechanics of making doubles perform.

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Re: Kodiak 12 bore data from shoot today [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #44630 - 22/12/05 01:29 PM

Just ordered it and about 7 others.

Colorado

--------------------

BlainSmipy
.375 member

#44645 - 22/12/05 03:39 PM

I just received Sam Fadala Complete BP Handbook today from Oregon Barrles. I have a lot of learning to do yet on this subject!

I seems like a great book so far.

Colorado

--------------------

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Re: Kodiak 12 bore data from shoot today [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #45087 - 28/12/05 05:44 PM

Sent it back, and they are cross shipping me a new one. Could not get this one to shoot for beans. At fifty yards benched it was barely on the paper. No matter what I tried, load up down lapping, patches, lube still shot like shit. I then noticed using a bore light, that there was pitting in both barrels inside on the bottom. Must have come from the factory this way. If this one they're sending stinks too, I'm done with Pedersoli.

Colorado

PS: Cabela's took it back no questions asked! They have my business!

--------------------

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #45102 - 29/12/05 03:56 AM

I do hope the new one works for you, Colorado. A good working double is a delight to hunt with. Most Pedersoli stuff is pretty good as production rifles go.
: My only 'fret' with them is the relationship between the hammer and the nipples. The fence isn't being used properly on their double guns, never has been, evne on the .58's tht have been around for many years. The fit can be repaired with different throw hammers and/or some minor work on the breech blocks, re-threading nipples, etc. A milling machine helps with this modification, but it can be done on a drill press by a good muzzleloading gun maker. ther are many guys who can do this in the States. Go to the www.americanlongrifles.com forum. The are the best of the best makers currently making rifles around the world visiting this site every day.
: To see what I mean, just look at some originals in pictures. I'll try to find the site for you. It is an antique gun selling site and has wonderful pictures of properly breeched double rifles and shotguns.
; This original H.Wahl Fowler shows what I mean by hammer/fance/nipple relationship. The second is my .69 rifle. Both are single shots but properly made doubles were breeched the same way.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Re: Kodiak 12 bore data from shoot today [Re: DarylS]
      #45122 - 29/12/05 10:56 AM

I have no qualms with the fit and finish, I just want the damn thing to shoot! :} I have spoken before about scratch building a single shot 12 or 8 bore based on the english rigby sporting stock. I honestly think this is the only way to get a really good large bore ML these days. I would love to build a double based on the same stock, but I have yet find anybody who can mate the barrels for me.

Thanks,
Colorado

--------------------

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
      #45359 - 31/12/05 09:47 AM

Too bad about the bores on the double. I was in Kansas City Cabela's over the holidays and looked at a .72 and was impressed with the way it was set up... much heavier than any of the Pedersoli double .50's, .54's or .58's that I've shot. The Pedersoli I'm using now is a .54 Dixie Jaeger and I'm fighting consistent ignition but the gun seems to shoot well enough. I was told by a company press relations representative for Cabela's that the .72 is the best seller of the Cabela's doubles. I was surprised about that. The thing about a lot of European muzzleloaders is that they do sit in stock for a long time before selling and are ordered in large quantities. Sometimes the worms do get to working on some of them. I'm sure my brand new Jaeger is at least a couple of years old. I had an Austin & Halleck inline (a good gun if you like the balance of the thing) that was packed full of cosmoline when I got it but never did group worth a darn and really had some rough rifling. It acted nothing like others of the same model. I've had some other Spanish guns that seemed to be more prone to rust than others just like them of the same model. Go Figure. By the way, Daryl, that is a lovely gun in the bottom photo. I have a .504 English Sporting Rifle with Laminate stock with similar lines and it is a joy to shoot.

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Re: Kodiak 12 bore data from shoot today [Re: Plains99]
      #45508 - 02/01/06 03:39 AM

Check post on felt wads, not all is lost!

Colorado

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2840

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com