Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Strength of 98 Actions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Strength of 98 Actions
      14/05/07 10:46 PM

I have read quite a bit about the inherent strength and safety of a 98 action but had no first hand experience, until yesterday.

I acquired in a Estate sale a group of pre-WWII Oberndorf commercial rifles in a variety of chamberings. I had head space gauges for some (8X57, 7X57, etc) and all but one checked out fine. One was a bit marginal, and that went off to an expert to 'tuck it up' a bit.

One rifle was a nicely engraved, spoon bolt in 9.3X57 with rifling that looked very, very good. The rifle was inexpensive in the sale and while some of the bluing was a bit worn, the engraving was still sharp and it was 'cheap' enough to take a flier on.

Picked up a box of Norma loads and took it to the range yesterday with a few DRs I was fiddling with. The first round seated easily. Pulled the set trigger back and touched off the round -- and smoke out of the gas ports and everywhere else!

The bolt was somewhat sticky opening but it came open without having to resort to the Russian Adjustable Wrench method my son has to use on his Mosins to open them from time to time (i.e. rubber mallet) and extracted the case. Primer had blown completely out of the pocket and that turned up laying on the top of the mag follower.

Damage to the extractor? Zip. Damage to anything? Zip.

So, other than having to send this rifle off to see if a pro can deal with the headspace issue what did I learn from this incident? A. When in doubt, don't shot it. B. Is the 98 as safe and strong as it is said to be? You bet your butt.

"Ve built dem gut in der Vaterland, eh Heine?" (Curt Jurgens, THE ENEMY BELOW, 1955.)

Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (14/05/07 10:48 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Strength of 98 Actions dnovo 14/05/07 10:46 PM
. * * Re: Strength of 98 Actions xausa   17/05/07 06:35 AM
. * * Re: Strength of 98 Actions 9.3x57   06/06/07 11:57 AM
. * * Re: Strength of 98 Actions DoubleD   06/06/07 02:14 PM
. * * Re: Strength of 98 Actions 9.3x57   07/06/07 12:33 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2956

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com