Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Peruvian Mauser - what to do?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

akriet
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: in & of Dixie
Peruvian Mauser - what to do?
      21/07/08 10:17 AM

I'm thinking about what to do, if anything, with a 1909 Peruvian Mauser and would enjoy your thoughts and comments.

I am far from a Mauser expert, but this is what I understand from reading and observation: the 1909 Peruvian is a large ring (but small barrel thread) Oberndorf-made Mauser 98 (made 1910-1914) in 7.65 Agentine. It has a __x57 (is that called "intermediate") length bolt and magazine box. The ring has the ornate Peruvian cartouche and the words “MAUSER ORIGINAL”. The bridge has the high charger hump and the winged bolt stop cover that curves up and rests against the charger hump. Straight bolt handle with true pear-shaped knob.

My particular rifle is complete, though all the numbered parts are mismatched, the stock is in, at best, fair shape. The bore is dark. The gun is unaltered military. No pitting to speak of on the action (and no import or other such marks).

So, one option is to leave it alone - it may have some degree of collectible appeal as is.

But I keep thinking that this unique and attractive action is just languishing, unused, in its worn military dress. I can’t help myself but to envision it reborn as a fine, classic sporter reminiscent of the halcyon days of sporting Mausers, like an Oberndorf Sporter. This is the other option.

If it were to become a sporter, I wouldn’t want to alter the receiver or deface the ring and bridge and therefore no drill and tap. So the rifle would be iron sights only, or perhaps it could also, have (claw?) bases put on the rear of the barrel to add a scope with an intermediate focal length (Scout-type scope). Does anyone know if there is any precedent in early-day Mauser/Oberndorf sporters for a barrel mounted scope arrangement?

I was also thinking about the bolt handle. With no scope mounted over the receiver, and though it doesn’t visually appeal to me, I guess the handle could remain straight, but I’m thinking that the original handle could be reforged and bent down somewhat, though not so much as to need a cutout in the stock or receiver.

There is a certain appeal to me of using all the original receiver parts, mis-numbered, non-hinged, military floorplate, etc. Or would this be wearing tennis shoes with a tuxedo? Your thoughts?

What caliber? I wouldn’t particularly need this rifle in any certain chambering to shoot or hunt with, but I definitely would not want to alter the receiver to try to stuff in a longer than designed-for cartridge and I don’t want to alter the bolt face. I would want whatever cartridge it would be built for to feed well without any or much work. I think I would be therefore limited to 57 mm length, or shorter, cartridges given the bolt length and mag box, or am I wrong? I would want the chambering to be consistent with what was available in the early part of the century. Any of the __x57's would be useful to me.

How were the buttplates and grip caps typically done on early Mauser sporters?

What about the action’s steel and heat treating?

Your thoughts, comments, advice, referrals and gunsmith suggestions will be much appreciated.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Peruvian Mauser - what to do? akriet 21/07/08 10:17 AM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? MattieA   22/08/08 01:44 PM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? MattieA   22/08/08 01:51 PM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? Deutsche_Vortrekker   23/08/08 08:08 AM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? pjaln   21/07/08 02:05 PM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? TMG   24/07/08 01:03 PM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? akriet   24/07/08 02:18 PM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? pjaln   25/07/08 08:03 AM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? beleg2   25/07/08 09:19 PM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? Marrakai   31/07/08 01:43 PM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? bigmaxx   31/07/08 02:18 PM
. * * Re: Peruvian Mauser - what to do? pjaln   01/08/08 09:22 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5413

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com