Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser M18 v. M12 ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Nailcreek
.300 member

Reged: 13/08/08
Loc: Saukville, WI, USA
Mauser M18 v. M12 ?
      #351535 - 19/03/21 12:25 PM

While I've always considered the only real Mauser to be the 98, I've been looking at the M18 and M12. What's the group's thoughts about the two rifles - performance, value, quality?

My only disappointment is that they don't offer either in 7X57!

--------------------
Veni, Vedici, Veggie ... I came, I saw, I had a salad.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MagnumHunter
.275 member

Reged: 06/07/04
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Mauser M18 v. M12 ? [Re: Nailcreek]
      #351638 - 22/03/21 01:10 PM

I have a M-18 in .308 Win. Would love it if they chambered them in 7x57.
Mine is actually quite accurate and I find myself hunting with it more and more. It's topped with a Zeiss 3-9x40 and makes a nice rig. Been thinking about one in 9.3x62 but I already have a vintage one so there's no use.

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Reged: 01/01/14
Loc: Northern Colorado
Re: Mauser M18 v. M12 ? [Re: MagnumHunter]
      #351774 - 27/03/21 03:26 PM

The M18 is designed to compete with the rifles like the savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot, Howa, Wby Vanguard, etc. You get the picture. The M18 is low budget, and made with some cost cutting manufacturing techniques such as having a threadless, heat/ press fit barrel. However, they supposedly use hammer forged barrels that come off the same line line as Blaser, Rigby, and the higher end Mauser branded rifles. They are a cheap Tupperware rifle that is built very well, and shoots very well. I believe the same is true for all of the rifles I mentioned as it’s market competitors. The truth is that it’s actually getting quite difficult to buy a newly manufactured inaccurate rifle these days. Today’s precise manufacturing tolerances make for some very accurate bottom of the barrel rifles.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Mauser M18 v. M12 ? [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #351779 - 27/03/21 06:34 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Nail Creek, I'm left to believe, that the Mauser M18, is just a generic action design, based on the original, Swiss Arms made, SHR 970 model rifle.
Various other European made bolt action rifle, like the Sauer 100(etc?), Rößler Titan 3, and ? ....... others, that I can't remember at the moment, all look to be the same action, with some variation with ancilaries, like the safeties, magazine and scope mounting options, etc.

Even the Austaralian made, Lithgow Arms, 102 centrefire, looks to be a variation, on the original Swiss Arms, SHR 970 rifle.

That being said, these are all well designed and made rifles, on a proven existing design.

Hope that helps.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Nailcreek
.300 member

Reged: 13/08/08
Loc: Saukville, WI, USA
Re: Mauser M18 v. M12 ? [Re: Homer]
      #352682 - 26/04/21 12:27 AM

Well, I ended up picking up a new M18 in 6.5 Creedmoor - other chambering seem almost impossible to find at the moment. I've a set of Talley rings and a Burris scope that I'll put on this weekend. First impressions are pretty positive, the stock design feels right, metalwork is clean and very crisp. Looking forward to getting it out.

--------------------
Veni, Vedici, Veggie ... I came, I saw, I had a salad.

Edited by Nailcreek (26/04/21 12:29 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1314

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com