Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: possibly a Mauser A 97

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Ausy
.224 member

Reged: 22/04/18
Loc: Hindmarsh Island South Austral...
possibly a Mauser A 97
      #320556 - 11/10/18 11:02 AM

A good friend of mine has given me a Mauser rifle, he had the sporting rifle made by a friend and local gunsmith in Adelaide. South Australia by the name of Fred Hill, Fred told my friend that the action was rare and very sort after, my friend told Fred that he wanted the rifle in 303 caliber, which Fred did by turning down a Lewis machine gun barrel, attaching a long ramp front sight, a sling swivel and a fixed and two folding leaf sights marked 100-200-300 , these appear to be soldered onto the barrel, but not sure, on top of the barrel the name Hill Arms Adelaide and 303 British is stamped, now to the action, which I suppose is the important part, the action has
MOD Mauser 1896
LUDW.LOEWE & Co Berlin
stamped into the left hand side of the action, above the wood, the magazine floor plate is hinged and uses a lever about 40mm long to open and close, the action and floor plate and the trigger guard/ magazine well have the number A 9725 stamped on them, on the under side of the Knox appears to have the numbers 907
stamped on it, the bolt has no numbers or identification marks what so ever, the bolt cocks on closing and doesn't have any gas escape vents, the round ball and attaching handle appears to have been bent down in a curve and slightly swept back, instead of the handle section being round in shape it has been filed into a sort of rectangular shape, possibly why there is no numbers stamped on it, the stock is a modified military stock with a pistol grip inletted into the main stock in a lot darker timber than the original stock, the pistol grip and forend have been checkered and what appears to be black horn has been put onto the front of the forend and pistol grip, the original steel butt plate and metal sling swivel are still attached, the stock work wasn't done by Fred Hill as far as we know, but by another person as my friend remembers Fred not being overly happy with the quality of the checkering done by the other person.
My question is regarding the number A9725, is this a serial number and if so, it is very low for a rifle which would have been made in the millions (possibly) or could it be number 25 of the 1000
A97 rifles made. I am sure there is one of our members out there that can give a result on the question asked, I do apologize for my ramblings about the rifle, but someone out there might appreciate it and I know the question will be asked WHERE are the PHOTOS again I must apologize as now that photobucket is not the preferred host, I have no idea who to use as a host or how, but if there is a member out there who would like some photos I could send some thru by email if they could send me there email address by private mail.
Ausy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1291

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com