Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fraser bolt handle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
prairie_ghost
.300 member

Reged: 19/07/08
Loc: casper, wy
Fraser bolt handle
      #316708 - 23/05/18 01:08 PM

Just looking at the recent collection thread and the wonderful Fraser rifle- my favorite of the lot. The bolt is obviously pinned to the root as modified. Is it also soldered. I have never seen one in hand, just wondering how they did it in the day. What would it take to replicate it today. Sorry about the punctuation, old computer and old operator.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
metal
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/13
Loc: Australia
Re: Fraser bolt handle [Re: prairie_ghost]
      #316746 - 24/05/18 02:48 PM

Not too hard to do. They would have held it in a jig then silver brazed it and then pinned it, possibly followed by more silver braze flowed in around the pin. Thats how I would do it anyway. The main thing is to control the considerable amount of heat required so as to not soften / anneal the rear of the bolt, but considering it is a cock on closing action then it’s no so critical. Although rehardening is easily done, there are ways to avoid the need to do it.

Edited by metal (24/05/18 06:09 PM)

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Fraser bolt handle [Re: metal]
      #316768 - 24/05/18 11:50 PM

Metal is exactly correct in the best way to attach this kind of bolt, (if you don't weld instead)

Remember that the only thing you need to concern yourself with on a 93, 94 95 or 96 Mauser action is the cam surface. Nothing other than the cams need to be hard on the rear of any of these Mausers. It's easy to weld or braze the new bolt on and then come back and re-harden the cam surface.

To do that you simply spot heat the area to medium red and quench in brine. Polish to bright metal and then gently heat the bolt body about 1" in front of your spot, and let the temper color run backwards until you get a straw color over the hardened area. Re-quench and re polish. Done.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2101

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com