Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Husqvarna 146 sight regulation

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
KWJohnston
.275 member

Reged: 18/04/14
Loc: U.S.
Husqvarna 146 sight regulation
      #260916 - 22/02/15 03:37 AM

To all members with Husqvarna 146 98 mauser in 9.3x57. Has anyone found a jacketed or cast bullet load that will regulate to the factory original open sights ?

A few more questions. What brand/make of loading dies is everyone using ? I also heard a rumor that the throat is quite long on these rifles and that cast loads are difficult to get accuracy from. Has anyone had this problem ? Just trying to gather some solid info before jumping in. Thanks !

Wyatt

--------------------
"Tell him in the morning in our tribe we always shoot them twice. Later in the day we shoot them once. In the evening we are often half shot ourselves." - Ernest Hemingway

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Husqvarna 146 sight regulation [Re: KWJohnston]
      #260919 - 22/02/15 03:51 AM

I used 2 loads in mine that shot to the 9.3x57 M46 factory sights.

My dies were FL Hornady dies, adjusted to only size down to the shoulder without touching it, as my rifle had .019" headspace on 8x57 RP brass. I first had to expand my brass straight - 1 pass over a plug, then sized back to a crush fit in the Hornady dies - no annealing - still haven't annealed after 3 sots per case. No splits. Probably need it now.

I worked up to these loads from slightly below. Note that on the case expansion ring, both of these loads showed absolutely ZERO case expansion when using newly formed brass - that is important and it shows the pressure for the above loads was very low & that the walls of my chamber are quite snug - just overly long.

Due to the groove diameter in my barrel being oversize at .370" and the chamber not allowing any bullets larger than .367", I did not shoot cast bullets in it.

loads:

270 Speer: 48.0gr. H4895 - 2,268fps Av. - moose 200yards was an easy shot - bullet striking about 3" below point the of aim. This load shot into 2" with the factory iron sights at 100 METERS and was approximately 2" high.

270Speer: 52gr. BLC2 - 2,300fps also shot to the sights at 50 yards.

Note, I filed out the rear sight to a shallow V - Express sight type as my eyes can no longer handle a U or narrow V sight- nothing but fuzz. The shallow V with a bead front sight works well for mw.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

KWJohnston
.275 member

Re: Husqvarna 146 sight regulation [Re: DarylS]
      #260926 - 22/02/15 06:28 AM

Thanks for all the good information Daryl. Im glad that you found a load that regulates to the open sights . The main reason I became interested in the Husqvarna 9.3x57 is the potential to have a nice open sight, medium bore cast bullet shooter. The statement I was told about the long throat, and your experiences with oversize bore are causing me to possibly reconsider. Does anyone have experience with cast loads that worked well in these rifles ?

Wyatt

--------------------
"Tell him in the morning in our tribe we always shoot them twice. Later in the day we shoot them once. In the evening we are often half shot ourselves." - Ernest Hemingway

DarylS
.700 member

#260929 - 22/02/15 07:20 AM

I've been told that the 146's had closer tolerances than the M46's.
I would not let the M46's 'loose' tolerances prevent me from buying a 146.

9.3x57, a member here has or had one of the 146's which had a .365" or .366" groove diameter, which is perfect.

Mine would have been OK for cast bullets if I had opened up the neck of the chamber neck as has been done by others - someone here did just this and I cannot remember who that was - for that I apologize. He has had good results with cast in his rifle.

There are a number of moulds available as well as commerically cast bullets for this calibre.

If the bore is oversize, Lee sells dies for re-sizing lubed bullets, or even for reducing .375" down to .366" with jacketed bullets.

It is a hell of a good round. Even though I was shooting bullets up to .005" undersize, 2 1/2 thou per side, my rifle put them all into smaller than 1 1/2" at 100 meters off bags with the scope.

Using the 293gr. TUG's and 45gr. H4895, I usually got cloverleafs. They were only running 2,100fps, however the 300gr. sized down Hornady's were making 2,175fps with the same load - THAT is the same velocity as the original 9.3x62's factory 286gr. softs and solids.

--------------------
Daryl

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #260937 - 22/02/15 08:35 AM

Yep, Daryl is right, I'm the someone who has been playing with cast bullets in a M46 Husky.
My initial tests have been very encouraging. Accuracy at 50 yards are as good as jacketed bullet loads.
Testing has stopped for the time being because of the weather. More to come as soon as the temps get out of the single digit zone and back around 30 degrees.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Husqvarna 146 sight regulation [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #260950 - 22/02/15 12:53 PM

Sry Matt - instantly I say you post - the light went on- lol.
Oh yeah.
I'll add that small problems like I faced are nothing compared to the joys of shooting one of these, easy shooting rifles.
There are no flies on the M46 nor the M146's. The 246's are the M98 Husky's in 9.3x62

Traddexcanada has them - but I think still only sells to Canadians. Stock up boys, while the supply lasts.

--------------------
Daryl

KWJohnston
.275 member

#260991 - 23/02/15 09:14 AM

Thanks to everyone who has responded. This is a great forum, and I'm glad everyone is willing to share their experiences.

Daryl, you stated " 146's had closer tolerances than the M46's " ,with a .366 bore diameter. Did they also have tighter chambers, better headspacing, throat ect ?

I apologize for all the questions, just trying to gather as much info as possible. They really are a nice classic mauser, and thats usually all it takes for me to want one.

Wyatt

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#260999 - 23/02/15 11:27 AM

N146 groove diameters were usually .366" I am told - perhaps I used the wrong word, "bore" - sorry. The bore is .358".

Yes - I meant just that when I stated tighter tolerances - meaning without the odd headspace problems the M46's had. Normally a Euro. rifle would not have headspace problems. The 9.3x57 was never entered into the CIP laws, thus, there are not locked in stone measurements. That hundreds of these rifles are being used today here in NA, speaks well for them.

My MN46, with a measured .019" headspace was not a problem as I first opened the cases up straight, then sized them for a "crush" fit, making headspace tighter than "0". This only has to be done once.

The case is only 'tight' the first time it is chambered. Once fired, they are form fitted and then shrink the .001" or so for easy extraction.

It is important that when sizing, only size as much of the case as in necessary - same as with any round. Do not push the shoulders back when they are sized.

Throats are not a problem, even if a bit long. My rifle puts everything from 225gr. re-sized Hornady's, then all of the various 9.3 bullets and up to resized 300gr. Hornady's, into from 3/4" groups to 1 1/2".

--------------------
Daryl

KWJohnston
.275 member

#261002 - 23/02/15 12:02 PM

Daryl thank you once again for your response. BTW you were correct in using the term "groove" in your original post, I was the one that used the term bore incorrectly. I am starting to feel better about the model 146 as a nice medium bore cast bullet shooter.

Matt, I was wondering if you could updated me on the cast bullets you have been trying out in your model 46 ? Have you had to play with the sizing to get acceptable accuracy ? Have any loads regulated to the open sights ? Thanks in advance.

Wyatt

--------------------

Iowa_303s
.400 member

#261005 - 23/02/15 12:29 PM

Wyatt, the bullet I have been using is cast from a mould I had made by "Accurate Molds".
It is catolog #285C. Cast from wheelweights, it is 285 grains as cast.
I had the mould made to cast the bullet to .372" +.002/-.000".
I seat a .375" gascheck with a Lee sizing die made to .372".
Once the weather warms a bit I will continue my experiments and will post everything I have discovered on this journey right here on this forum for all to see.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

DarylS
.700 member

#261071 - 24/02/15 05:21 AM

Should note here that Matt's groove diameter is also oversize, like mine. He had the neck opened up for the larger bullets, I believe.

Most 146's that I have heard of on a Swedish Forum, are normally sized.

9.3x57's M46 rifle had a .366" groove diameter.

--------------------
Daryl

Iowa_303s
.400 member

#261094 - 24/02/15 12:42 PM

Daryl is correct. My m46 has an oversize groove diameter, .370".
I did have to open up the neck to accept the round loaded with the proper size bullet.
Then it occurred to me that the throat on the original chamber cast looked "different".
I then slugged the throat and discovered that when the chamber was originally reamed the throat was cut to .367" diameter. This left rifling in the throat .0015" deep per side. So I had a choice, seat the bullet deep in the case or ream the throat. It got reamed!
Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be near 30 degrees. I'm hoping to get out and try it again at 50 yards just to confirm the initial accuracy I was able to obtain.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Iowa_303s
.400 member

#261144 - 25/02/15 10:46 AM

Here is the the target I shot this afternoon. 50 yards. The shot that is low left is my fault. Got excited when I looked through the spotting scope and saw the 1st 4 shots. oh well.
This is a standard NRA 100 yard smallbore target. the X ring is 1" in diameter. My hold was at 6 O'clock, the rounds are impacting 5" high.
I use the bottle cap as a "universal unit of measure". No imperial or metric crap to worry about.
My load here is very mild but is better than 38-55 ballistics.
293 grain bullet at 1400 fps.
This is just a starting point for this project. The goal is 2000 fps with this bullet and accuracy as good as jacketed bullets.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Edited by Iowa_303 (25/02/15 11:14 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#261153 - 25/02/15 02:33 PM

May need to be hardened when you get up over 1,800fps with slow powders - earlier with faster ones.
Good weight, good ballistics for many big game animals here in NA. FP bullet? Have you thought of trying a soft nose, hard body? A soft tin/lead mix in the nose will not harden with a water drop like WW or lead shot mix of the body will.

The alloy needs some minor amount of arsenic as well as antimony to harden. The old-style WW and hardened lead shot has enough.

You probably new this, just for others or in case hardening and tempering bullets is new to you. YOu certainly have the loading and casting 'DOWN PAT'.

Looking GREAT - good luck.

--------------------
Daryl

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
      #265557 - 26/05/15 02:13 PM

The rear sight of the HVA 146 is adjustable for both windage and elevation. If your shots are going right drift the rear sight to the left with a brass mallet and vice versa. If your shots are going high file down rear sight blade. If too low file down front sight blade.
Here's a pic of my 1939 HVA 146.

[image][image]

themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
Re: Husqvarna 146 sight regulation [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #267044 - 27/06/15 11:55 AM

That's a beautiful 146, I really like these. I wish mine was half as nice.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4950

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com