Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Options for Mauser Actions?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
brennon272
.224 member

Reged: 28/01/15
Loc: Georgia
Options for Mauser Actions?
      #259597 - 29/01/15 03:41 AM

Hey guys, im new
After reading over this forum, its apparent that there is tons of information and some very well talented individuals here. My question is this, im an engraver/gunsmith and am wanting to change up the 1911's and Remington 700's i usually build and try a Mauser action, im thinking of a 300 win mag as its what i will carry on my bear hunt next year. However, (and this isnt a complaint) all i can find are surplus mausers for a couple hundred dollars or the newly made actions that are 3000+. Are there any other alternatives for actions in the intermediate range as far as new manufacture goes? Also, i really really like the Double Square Bridge mausers as i think they look beautiful with engraving over the other Mauser variants, are there companies producing this style?
Thanks, and ill get some of my past work uploaded before too long

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Norman4
.300 member

Reged: 16/01/15
Loc: Vermont,USA
Re: Options for Mauser Actions? [Re: brennon272]
      #259598 - 29/01/15 05:03 AM

I think Zastava is still importing their Mauser actions. They are reasonably priced for what you get. I'm not sure if you can obtain just an action from CZ or not? Someone here ought to know the answer to that. As far as purchasing an inexpensive double square bridge magnum Mauser, that would be a contradiction in terms. Good luck! Norman4

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Options for Mauser Actions? [Re: Norman4]
      #259603 - 29/01/15 07:10 AM

Welcome to N.E.!
I think you will find that sourcing a DSB Mauser action will be quite difficult although they are made again today and complete rifles are offered by Mauser themselves but I am unsure whether they have actions available themselves.
Also, I am not sure if the 300WM requires a magnum action, I would think not.
Most big name makers will weld up their own square bridges on standard actions (often 1909 Argentines) which does serve to give them control over bridge heights and differing scope mounting options if the bridges are to be used for that.
Looking forward to seeing your work.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

brennon272
.224 member

Re: Options for Mauser Actions? [Re: Huvius]
      #259613 - 29/01/15 08:54 AM

Is there somewhere i could find a how to or sort to do this? i have a mill and a lathe so it shouldnt be too difficult. Heres my inspiration, let me know what you guys think: http://www.mauser.com/en/products/meisterklasse/m-98-magnum-black-widow/ what do you guys think? Its definitely different and beautiful to my eye.
Quote:

Welcome to N.E.!
I think you will find that sourcing a DSB Mauser action will be quite difficult although they are made again today and complete rifles are offered by Mauser themselves but I am unsure whether they have actions available themselves.
Also, I am not sure if the 300WM requires a magnum action, I would think not.
Most big name makers will weld up their own square bridges on standard actions (often 1909 Argentines) which does serve to give them control over bridge heights and differing scope mounting options if the bridges are to be used for that.
Looking forward to seeing your work.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #259618 - 29/01/15 09:27 AM

AFAIK Mauser (and Rigby of course, as it's a Mauser subsidiary)does not make their own 98 actions, but buy them in from Gottfried Prechtl, see
http://www.prechtl-waffen.de/Prechtl/en/..._hunting_rifles
Mauser concentrates on making their "modern" rifles. It simply isn't worthwile to make their own, as demand for such "luxury" rifles by us diehards is quite low.

brennon272
.224 member

Re: Options for Mauser Actions? [Re: kuduae]
      #259623 - 29/01/15 12:42 PM

What are the prices on the Prechtl actions?

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #259635 - 29/01/15 09:34 PM

Quote:

Ask them by email! I bet, they are not "low budget".

redoak
.224 member

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: Michigan
Re: Options for Mauser Actions? [Re: kuduae]
      #259669 - 30/01/15 12:41 PM

Brennon,

What about the DSB Dumoulin M98 actions that Sarco is selling?

They are not perfect, but they are reasonably priced, and have most of the bells & whistles, like an inside the TG hinged floor plate release button, a straddle floor plate, an adjustable trigger with a steel housing, and a 3 position M70 type safety. And apparently they are made of a reasonably modern alloy steel.
Scope rings for the dovetailed square bridges are reportedly available, however they are not inexpensive.

brennon272
.224 member

Re: Options for Mauser Actions? [Re: redoak]
      #259672 - 30/01/15 02:47 PM

im aware of the sarco actions, but cannot tell if they are square bridged or not, i dont mind paying for top tier stuff, im just wondering that if rigby attaches there own square bridges to normal actions, i should be able to too as i have access to the right equipment. This is not going to be a budget build, but being that this is my first mauser i was just curious as to the different options available.

redoak
.224 member

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: Michigan
      #259680 - 30/01/15 06:23 PM

Brennon,

The Dumoulin actions that Sarco is selling are square bridged, but the bridges have dovetails, so that might not be quite the look that you want. There are (were?) a couple on Gunbroker with some pretty good photos, if you want a closer look.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=456099030

I have a couple, and my impression is that they are not nearly as smooth as a good military action such as a 1909 Argentine. But I believe that they could be improved with a bit of work.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #259697 - 31/01/15 12:48 AM

Quote:

im aware of the sarco actions, but cannot tell if they are square bridged or not, i dont mind paying for top tier stuff, im just wondering that if rigby attaches there own square bridges to normal actions...

As far as I know, Rigby is starting with the same action that Mauser is using and perhaps turning the front bridge off. There was some discussion about this a few months ago.
You may find that someone such as Duane Weibe may machine and weld up bridges on an action for you to finish. May be a good alternative and he surely knows what he is doing.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Options for Mauser Actions? [Re: Huvius]
      #259699 - 31/01/15 01:44 AM

It seems that all the newly made Mauser actions are machined with double flat tops, and it appears that's more for the "look" than for any mechanical request.
The majority of the Original Mauser magnum actions were square bridged with a standard rounded receiver ring and the bridge was left square to provide a base to be machined for rear scope mount, the front base being set on the barrel, or better on the barrel flat (as on original Rigby barreled actions entirely made at Oberndorf)
I understand the need of double flat tops if you want to use some US style scope mount (like Talley) as they provide two convenient surfaces for machining integral dovetails, however I can't understand the need to build false flat tops on such a nice action like a DWM 1909 Argentine because you can obtain exactly the same in making perfectly adapted bases without stressing the action in TIG welding.
To my eyes any modification to a 98' action must be done with a minimum of alteration and only for functional purpose, not for the look.
Yes, I know that my reasoning mays appear somewhat "Jansenist" but it's my opinion only, and I don't want to impose my point of view to anybody.

Best to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #259737 - 31/01/15 08:29 PM

Quote:

Last time I checked I believe the Price was €5100 for a Magnum action DSB in-the-White. This was 2 years ago. I have had a .416Rigby made on a Prechtl action. It is a very very good action.

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
Re: Options for Mauser Actions? [Re: DORLEAC]
      #260451 - 13/02/15 11:31 PM

Quote:

It seems that all the newly made Mauser actions are machined with double flat tops, and it appears that's more for the "look" than for any mechanical request.
The majority of the Original Mauser magnum actions were square bridged with a standard rounded receiver ring and the bridge was left square to provide a base to be machined for rear scope mount, the front base being set on the barrel, or better on the barrel flat (as on original Rigby barreled actions entirely made at Oberndorf)
I understand the need of double flat tops if you want to use some US style scope mount (like Talley) as they provide two convenient surfaces for machining integral dovetails, however I can't understand the need to build false flat tops on such a nice action like a DWM 1909 Argentine because you can obtain exactly the same in making perfectly adapted bases without stressing the action in TIG welding.
To my eyes any modification to a 98' action must be done with a minimum of alteration and only for functional purpose, not for the look.
Yes, I know that my reasoning mays appear somewhat "Jansenist" but it's my opinion only, and I don't want to impose my point of view to anybody.

Best to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

+1. Here, here! Words worth heeding from a man who knows and appreciates the Mauser.

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Sarco/ Dumoulin actions are made in China [Re: A10ACN]
      #260483 - 14/02/15 04:28 PM

Sarco Mauser actions sell for $295USD in the states. Tradex has them in Canada for $495CND. They are used by Dumoulin for their high end rifles. These actions have a double square bridge that is dovetailed and also drilled and tapped for apparently hard to obtain rings.They have a Winchester 70 type safety. Customers have complained that the pitch of the mounting screw holes and dovetails were not standard.The actions are Marked Dumoulin Herstal on the left receiver wall. What they do not advertise is that these actions are not made in Belgium but that they are in fact manufactured in CHINA. Dumoulin never made their own actions. They relied on FN,Sako,and others for their actions. These new actions are milled in China under contract by Dumoulin. Since they are produced in large quantities the majority are sold to third parties such as Sarco. Of all the places I saw them available there is only one small retailer that advertises them as "Belgian contract made in China". This is the site that at the very bottom of the page,in additional information,says where they are made. http://www.leverarms.com/mauser-action.html

Edited by Wanabebwana (14/02/15 04:31 PM)

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: Sarco/ Dumoulin actions are made in China [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #261377 - 01/03/15 03:57 AM

Do some leg work and find an original Mark X Mauser action. There are many Mark X rifles out there that you may purchase and strip for the action.

High quality steel. Clean design. Put in a decent trigger and a three position safety, smooth the action up and you will have a high quality action.

Below are two virgin actions, meaning never had a barrel installed, that I am saving for special projects. From the late 1960's. One has Blackburn bottom metal.

Another consideration is the Montana M99 action. Two of mine below. I ordered them with the serial number and makers name below stock line, for future engraving projects.

Edited by Altamaha (01/03/15 04:19 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10669

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com