Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What to do with some junk?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
What to do with some junk?
      #254783 - 08/10/14 02:09 AM

A few hours ago I got a present from a gunsmith friend: A heap of junk, but noble junk. The essential parts of a commercial Mauser , #104xxx, 1930, square bridge standard length action with a long 28” half octagon, ribbed barrel in 8x60. As often seen in Germany, badly rusted under the woodline post 1945. Inscriptions hardly legible. Receiver: “Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf a.N.”, barrel rib “Mauser Werke A.G. Oberndorf am Neckar”. Outside reworked and reblued post-WW2. Barrel inside looks quite good except for an inch or so at the muzzle.

I intend to complete it with parts from my “junkbox”: fit an original B stock with triggerguard, Timney trigger and so on.

Only then I will shoot it for accuracy. If it shoots decently, I will leave it alone.
But if it does not shoot any more, what would you suggest? Shorten the barrel by a couple of inches or have it rebored to 9.3x62?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: What to do with some junk? [Re: kuduae]
      #254790 - 08/10/14 04:04 AM

if its possible to get the look of the barrel with the front sight set back again when you cut of 25,4mm I think its the better solution. is there an alternative to Fuhrmann/Jena for rebore the barrel? he is not the cheapest thats for sure.
on the other side if you wish to resale the rifle a 9,3x62 will ever go.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (08/10/14 04:05 AM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: What to do with some junk? [Re: lancaster]
      #254795 - 08/10/14 04:49 AM

How about to make an inch long muzzle bore i.e. let the barrel be in original lenght but bore the distressed grooves away ?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: What to do with some junk? [Re: Igorrock]
      #254808 - 08/10/14 06:31 AM

I wouldn't call it junk. The pitting can be laser welded and finished back to look original. I would be happy to get hold of some junk like that.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

kuduae
.400 member

Re: What to do with some junk? [Re: lancaster]
      #254815 - 08/10/14 08:50 AM

Quote:

is there an alternative to Fuhrmann/Jena for rebore the barrel? he is not the cheapest thats for sure.

Not cheap either, but there is Max Ern in Leverkusen. Have a look at their website:
http://max-ern.com/

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #254816 - 08/10/14 09:55 AM

Another idea would be to make it a very short carbine. As for the rust, if it is all below the woodline you could just have the thing reblued and cal it good.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

kuduae
.400 member

Re: What to do with some junk? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #254840 - 08/10/14 06:54 PM

Quote:

Another idea would be to make it a very short carbine. As for the rust, if it is all below the woodline you could just have the thing reblued and cal it good.

As the special order barrel is a full 71 cm = 28" long, it would not be a "very short carbine", even if the muzzle is cut back several inches. But I would like to keep the rare original length and the integral front sight base.
You are right, almost all the pitting disappears below the wood. Rebluing it again (was done post-WW2) is unnecessary.

rgg_7
.275 member

Reged: 22/10/07
Loc: Canada
      #254847 - 08/10/14 10:35 PM

Your rifle can be restored. It has some unique features like single square bridge and a 28" long half octagon/round ribbed barrel.

Can you post some pictures of the underside of the receiver, left side receiver and muzzle...anywhere there is damage. Wuld help in its assessment.

I would assemble,headspace,slug the bore, chamber cast and recrown. If all proves out then I would take it to the range. If accuracy is to your liking then proceed with a restoration.

I've seen far worse pitting than your rifle restored. I would stone the below stock line metal and work out the pitting. If too deep then it will need "cosmetic" micro welding..tig if micro not available. The barrel may be Ok. If not you could "back bore" to clean up the muzzle area. If the bore is oversized and damaged beyond this, rebore....it's well worth the cost on a rifle of this vintage. Once happy with the metal...rust blue.

Ron

Edited by rgg_7 (08/10/14 10:36 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: What to do with some junk? [Re: rgg_7]
      #254882 - 09/10/14 04:50 AM

counterboring the muzzle would be simple and easy and if it not helps you would allways have the other possibility's

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #254890 - 09/10/14 05:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As the special order barrel is a full 71 cm = 28" long, it would not be a "very short carbine", even if the muzzle is cut back several inches. But I would like to keep the rare original length and the integral front sight base.
You are right, almost all the pitting disappears below the wood. Rebluing it again (was done post-WW2) is unnecessary.

Sounds good.

I saw it as a neat candidate for a really stubby Stutzen, but I see your reason for keeping the longer tube.

Hard to see a bad reason for reboring to 9.3x62 in that case!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

kuduae
.400 member

Re: What to do with some junk? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #256223 - 03/11/14 04:47 AM

Interim report:
After some contemplation as to practicability and cost with regard to the rust-pitted receiver underside, I decided to cut the worthless muzzle part off the barrel. A shooting test with the original 28” barrel produced a pattern of about 20cm = 8” at 100m. First I cut off the barrel just behind the integral front sight ramp. The ramp was salvaged for soldering on by cutting off the remaining barrel part underneath. As close inspection showed, there was still a short length of rusted away field remaining.(As I wrote, this was the worst rusted out muzzle I have ever seen!) So another inch had to go. The remaining barrel is now 59cm = 23” long.

I mounted an “almost period” Zeiss Zielsechs 6x scope on the existing barrel mounted base and square bridge. “Almost period” because though the Zielsechs scope model with ribbed light alloy tube was offered by Carl Zeiss, Jena, since 1936, the specimen I had on hand is of late, 1960s, GDR production. The only difference to the pre-war scopes is the inscription and better coating. A rear mount foot that fits the square bridge came with the barreled receiver, but I had to make an improvised rear base lock for the testing.

Yesterday I was at a range to test and sight in this rifle (and some others ). To keep things simple, I used PPU/Prvi Partizan 8x60S, 12.7g = 196gr soft point factory loads, the cheapest of the two loads available. I know, 3 shot groups don’t tell much, but the rifle seems to shoot. These were the two almost final groups, with a little scope (elevation) and base (windage) adjustment in between:

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #256235 - 03/11/14 07:12 AM

kuduae,
well if you ever want to get rid of that piece of "junk" send it to me!
To me it certainly is a very business like stalking rifle &shoots alright too for a hunter.
Yes It may be pitted below the stock, but hey you rescued another fine piece of Mauser history from the scrap cheap - with a bit of TLC it'll last another 80+ years.
Fantastic job I reckon!
Cheers
93x64mm

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4923

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com