Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What can you tell me about this Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Handloader52
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/09
Loc: Maryland, USA
What can you tell me about this Mauser
      #188676 - 27/08/11 07:23 AM

I have a sporterized DWM Gewehr 98 Mauser, serial 615X, that was sporterized a while ago. What can you tell me regarding when it was originally made, and how well regarded those particular actions are?

In case any of you are curious, its current configuration is a 30'06 hunting rifle. It uses a factory made light weight barrel from an early 50's commercial Mauser (using what looks like a Williams ramp and a Williams barrel mounted rear sight), sold through Wards I believe. The barrel is devoid of markings so that part is lost to history. The gun currently wears a glass bedded Bell and Carlson Carbelite stock, Timney trigger, Blackburn bottom metal, a Dakota Model 70 3-position safety and a tactical bolt knob attached to the original bolt handle that has been reshaped for scope use. The bases and rings are Warne Maxima and the scope is a Leupold 3.5-10X40 with a Boone and Crockett reticle.

You may find this hard to believe but with tailored target loads using Sierra 168 Match Kings over a moderate load of Varget the gun shoots honest to God .5 MOA groups out to 300 yards. Have not tested it past that distance. Would not have believe it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

Keith
410-693-9265

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Handloader52
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/09
Loc: Maryland, USA
Well, I did some more research... [Re: Handloader52]
      #188682 - 27/08/11 12:36 PM

and found a fascinating article at http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?855-Gew98-Research. According to the article my rifle was originally made about 1918. Still looking for some insight as to how they compare in quality to German-made Argentine Mausers.
Keith

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Well, I did some more research... [Re: Handloader52]
      #188962 - 31/08/11 01:36 PM

Ok the question of quality, would an action made at the tail end of world war 1 with all that that entails be comparable in fit and finish to a contract rifle action made 10 years earlier in peace time ? ................pretty much a no brainer hey. The steel used in the construction would be about the same as it was made by Krupp or whoever to a specification ,the difference is in the machining , finishing and heat treating of the forgings and what short cuts were taken to speed up production .

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3287

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com