Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight...
      #117911 - 30/10/08 06:44 AM

I've seen such things, a few that were perfectly ideal lightweight sporting rifles...

Someone's gotta have an image or two in their archives of a Small Ring (1895...) custom sporter here.

I might have something in a book here to scan and put on this thread to seed the flow of images, hopefully y'all know what I'm talking about and can put some images up of what you have or have seen.
I've been custodian of an absolutely perfect Chilean 7mm (no thumb cut, perfect metal everywhere, ultra slick, completely perfect bore...) that I've been wanting to trim out a bit.
The rifle belonged to a childhood friend's grandfather who'd cut the stock back in the 50's

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight... [Re: tinker]
      #117916 - 30/10/08 08:45 AM

Check out the thread "1899 Transitional Rigby-Mauser" dated 12/12/07 on the "Mauser Forum Photos & Archive". Nice small ring straight wrist sporter.

tinker
.416 member

Re: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight... [Re: dons]
      #117918 - 30/10/08 09:10 AM

Don-

Thanks.

I found the thread you noted.

Nice little rifle.
That's what I was looking for.
Somewhere I have some images of a modern light sporting rifle with straight wrist etc.
I'll have to dig it up and post it here.

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #117920 - 30/10/08 09:43 AM

Tinker,

There was an article in Gun Digest 5 or 6 years ago about building new straight stocked rifles on Mauser actions. If you know someone who has these magazines, please look them up. All my old Gun Digests are still in India or else I would have scanned and e-mailed you the article.

Of course, Don's collection has some of the finest Mausers anywhere - if you don;t want to take the modern route of straight stocked rifles with scopes, there is nothing better than the picture that he has shared with us as he always does. I guess, if someone wants to build classical looking rifles, they only need to look at the pictures of Don's rifles over here on our forums. What a treasure! Now let me rush back to my university before I get lost thinking about these spectacular rifles!

Cheers, my friend!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight... [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #117928 - 30/10/08 11:21 AM

came close to buying that rigby about 2 years ago, i believe that gun was in texas,nice one and definetly rare and if i remember correctly it had a checkered butt...paul

tinker
.416 member

Re: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight... [Re: pjaln]
      #117929 - 30/10/08 11:40 AM

Paul-

Did you handle the rifle?
I bet it was tough leaving it...

Do either of you know what that trim little 7mm sporter weighs?

Here's an image from a 2006 auction catalog of another Rigby Mauser.
It seems it sold for fifteen hundred pounds sterling.

Text from the catalog page:

JOHN RIGBY & CO. AN EARLY .275 BOLT ACTION SPORTING RIFLE, NO. 1096 25-inch two stage barrel with raised foresight and graduated ramp rearsight, the receiver ring signed WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER OBERNDORF 1898, bolt with flag safety, magazine with removable base plate, half-length stock with straight hand grip and steel butt plate, retaining much original finish overall, German nitro proof 14 1/2-inch pull, 7lb. 2oz. A very early Rigby .275, crisp bore £500-700

Nice, and looks more simple than the rifle shown above.
I prefer the looks of the first rifle shown here, but wouldn't sneeze at this one.

--Tinker

--------------------

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #117934 - 30/10/08 12:34 PM

no i didnt . i got some pics but that was it ...paul

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight... [Re: pjaln]
      #117938 - 30/10/08 01:08 PM

Those straight grip rifles have to be real peaches to carry, especially when built on the small ring action.

My favorite bear rifle is not a straight grip. It is a Husqvarna M46; small ring, jaktdiopter peep sight, 285 grain bullet at 2050 fps and 6 pound weight. Hard to beat for following the dogs.

Tinker, is that bear bit on your mind?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

tinker
.416 member

Re: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #117944 - 30/10/08 03:11 PM

Handling this little 1895 has been part of my self-medication regime of late.
I had a consultation/checkup with my knee surgeon today, I'm not out of the woods yet with recovery. I'm going freakin out of my head here. I've taken to leaving the bark collars off my Plott hound and his pitt/mutt bitch girlfriend for nothing more than the entertainment factor (keeps the urban 'fleas' far from my perimeter too...) during the daytime.

This small ring mauser is really exceptional. Much nicer in every way than the swede that it usually sits next to in the safe, actually I've never handled a mauser as solid and slick as this one. It's a real honey.
And, yes coastal bear are constantly on my mind.
I've been biting the bit so hard this fall that I'm well into the enamel. If I get out in the timber for a hunt I will take the Purdey 20b SxS though. I won't likely take another rifle, as the .500 smith will be along for the ride too in case I need to go into the really tight or messy stuff.

As yet I haven't even ever gotten dies for the 7x57
You got a spare set and some brass knocking around up there?
I'd very much like to get a load going for it and get it out to kill something. The old grandfather spoke very highly of it noting it's unusual accuracy and game-killing effect.
The only ammunition that was with it was old two-piece-box Remington-UMC FMJ cupro-nickel 175gr loads 'for mauser rifles and machine guns"

Think I'll run a couple of those over the chronograph some time, then work modern 175gr SNRN bullets up to similar velocity, looking for an accurate load...

That's if I get out to the ranch any time soon.
For anyone reading this, I have some advice for you.
Don't EVER injure your knees. EVER!

Thanks for asking!

--Tinker

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#117966 - 31/10/08 12:26 AM

Quote:

That's if I get out to the ranch any time soon.
For anyone reading this, I have some advice for you.
Don't EVER injure your knees. EVER!

Thanks for asking!

--Tinker

Mmm...

Have to agree with that last statement.

Last week while clearing trails above one of my kid's deer blinds the machete glanced off a hard, dead pine bough and stuck in my knee. I knew it was bad when I looked down and saw the bone through my wool pants and heavy long underwear.

I wrapped it with a snot rag and some bailing twine, tripped and stumbled it off the mountain and to the UTV, then drove back toward the house. I left too long a tail on the twine which caught the wheel on my fly across the big hayfield and that naturally yanked the leg out the side of the UTV. Pain wasn't much of a factor, but after that, nausea was...

ER doc informed me that the patella {kneecap} was cut as was the bursa. But God be praised,no tendons were cut. Since the bone was cut, infection was the main concern of the Doc, but so far after IV antibiotics and an oral dose to-boot, all is proceeding well.

So I'm stitched and hobbling. Stitches should come out tomorrow.

Assuming it heals as the Doc says, it will be nothing like the longterm problem you are having, but my taste of knee trouble leaves me feeling for you!! Hang in there. Time, time, time...

As for the 7x57, my opinion is that if every new hunter was required to shoot it and only it for 3 years after getting their first license, more game would be killed and less lost and very few would ditch the caliber for "something better" because, for 95% of the deer, bear and elk hunting done in the US of A, there ain't nothing much better!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #117968 - 31/10/08 12:51 AM

tinker, FYI. I put the Rigby-Mauser on a postal scale this morning and it came in at 6 lbs. 11 oz.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight... [Re: dons]
      #117972 - 31/10/08 01:04 AM

Quote:

tinker, FYI. I put the Rigby-Mauser on a postal scale this morning and it came in at 6 lbs. 11 oz.

Tinker, with a little work, that small ring of yours should wind up a pound lighter. I should add that part of the reason my commercial M46 is quite a bit lighter than this Rigby is that I modified the sharp-combed, cast-off stock to accomadate left shoulder shooting. That had to have reduced the weight measureably but I never measured it before/after. The 95/96 action starts off lighter than a 98, and if you want, I bet you can get yours well below 6 lbs. In fact, I bet very close to 5. Mine was lighter than 6 lbs until I added a recoil pad and that bumped it up some to dead-on 6 lbs. as it is now.

I suppose if I rasped off the pistol grip knob it might save me another 1 ounce...

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Re: Small Ring, Straight Wrist, Custom Lightweight... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #117975 - 31/10/08 02:40 AM

Don-

Thanks for the weight figure.
I'm still trying to remember where I'd seen a certain modern custom rifle - it was very slender, the builder had reduced the magazine capacity from five to three rounds, as well as some other subtle little touches that all came together in a really slick and simple package.

9.3-

I don't need to tell you how fortunate you are right now *to still have a functional knee* , you could really have screwed the pooch with that machete.

Let it heal!
Take it easy on that thing.

I don't know if this rifle has ever been on a scale. Six and a half pounds isn't so bad, and balance and handling is more important to me than absolute low weight.
As it is right now, the wrist is a club. I'll try to get the time together to photograph it and put it up on this thread. I'll also have to get it on layout paper so I can see exactly what's there vs where I can go with a project plan on it.

Years ago (and for years back then) I used to build custom bicycles. Every component of a lightweight build would get scrutinized, as there were so many components to work with. An ounce here, a few grams there.., in pursuit of the lightest package that would be appropriate for the client everything would be considered. It's amazing how much weight can be saved for little cost, and how great the cost can be for little weight savings in labor, engineering, and bottom line price.

My interest here would be around handling and vanity, and I think that in this case that they will sit nearly together in the hand.

--Tinker

--------------------

oupa
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Maryland,USA
      #118542 - 08/11/08 11:03 AM

Interesting that this came up. I've recently been toying with the idea of restyling my M93. It is a sweet little rifle. I originally built it however as a varmint getter. It's in a target style stock with deep curved thick pistol grip. The action however is svelte with a delicate little bolt handle and smooth as a baby's butt. I used a never installed Swede barrel from Kebco in 6.5x55 and so long as I seat them out far enough it shoots 85gr. bullets with almost boring accuracy. 140's are equally deadly for bigger game. It's a bit on the heavy side as is and I've been thinking of a feather-weight, maybe even a kid's rifle as I'm just finishing one for a friend's boy on a M98 action. After getting her out of the safe and handling her again after a long absence I'm reluctant to do it though. Maybe another M93 is in the cards? There is a gunshow nearby this weekend! What the hell, eh?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8161

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com