Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I need some help...which rifle would you pick?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Elephant_Man
.224 member

Reged: 02/10/07
Loc: Colorado, US
I need some help...which rifle would you pick?
      #87346 - 18/10/07 07:29 AM

Ok guys...I'm going to get a rifle in .375 H&H (POSSIBILY .458 lott but probably not) and it is meant for Africa. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a custom or a high-end british bolt rifle. I've been looking at the norm...Winchester 70, Ruger M77, CZ 550, Remington 700, ect. It doesn't need to be fancy at all, it just needs to be tough, accurate, and reliable. Like I said, it does not need to be fancy but I don't want it to be ugly, it should look nice, but again, not too fancy. I do not want a laminated stock as I already have an all-weather rifle with a laminated stock, and because I definitely consider those to be ugly. I don't usually shoot with a scope. I am more of an open-sights man and do most of my practice with open-sights so I prefer a rifle with good open sights that shoulders easily. So far I am leaning toward the CZ 550. I might have a little bit of custom work done to slick up the action.

So thats about it. Any thoughts or ideas? I am open to anything

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: Elephant_Man]
      #87348 - 18/10/07 07:42 AM

My choice would be the Model 70, (pre-64 or Classic) both from the standpoint of stock design, trigger and safety. The CZ would be second, but I would feel compelled to replace both the safety and trigger. Nothing beats a safety which acts directly on the cocking piece and has three positions, to allow the bolt to be manipulated with the action on safe. The CZ trigger is unnecessarily complicated for a DG rifle. The Remington lacks controlled feed and has a safety which locks only the trigger.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #87349 - 18/10/07 08:26 AM

Check out the Ruger RSM's. They're a lot of gun for the money. They can be had for quite a bit under listed retail. If you know of a good shop with whom you've done business, you can get them to talk to the rep and get good wood on the rifles.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #87352 - 18/10/07 09:27 AM

Based on what you are describing-I would take a close look at the new Rugers--even check into the new .375 short version Ruger--I looked at a couple at a local gun shop this weekend--for factory sights--they weren't too bad--they are a bit lighter so recoil will be a little more signifcant. The heavier version Rugers are actually quite nice and don't handle too bad.

The Winchester is a good bet however with the closure of the plant last year--you will probably pay a premium right now --and in my opinion inflated for what you get..

Empire rifles makes a really nice gun but, the price is up there a bit--probably justified, but none the less--a bit on the spendy side..

Having said that, I am going back to Africa next year and will probably take my custom shop Remington. . in .416. Inexpensive, shoots awesome, handles great and shoots softs and solids to the same POI. (Swifts and Barnes)---I have both custom controlled feed and push feed rifles.. they have cost anywhere from $1500 to $5000.--they all work.---and Yes, I know, all the info says you need controlled feed.. maybe you do.. but up to this point I have not..

As to open sites--I would suggest you use quick detach rings from one of the better manufacturers (Talley, Warn, etc) and have the fixed open sights ready to use in the event you use them.. Most people who have hunted African game agree you increase the opportunity by at least 30% by using a scope versus strictly open sights---I use open sights as well and grew up with them--however there have been a couple of instances when I would not have taken the shot if I had open only.. Recently saw an interview by Andrew Dawson who actually thought the chances were increased by even more than that in using a scope versus open sights..

Ripp

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: Ripp]
      #87354 - 18/10/07 09:43 AM

Is $4500 too much? PM me.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: bonanza]
      #87386 - 19/10/07 12:19 AM

I would without hesitation go for the CZ. I have owned numerous of all three and by far the best buy is the CZ (that of course is a personal opinion). I currently have 3 375H&H's. A custom Mdl 70 SS with a laminated stock that I have used on numerous trips to Africa. A custom Sgl Square bridge Mauser with an integral rib barrel made by David Miller and stocked by me. It now has one of Rusty Marlins cocking piece peeps on it looking a lot like the Westley Richards it originally was. A Brno ZKK 602 that is basically original except the barrel has been cut to 21" and has a barrel band swivel and new front ramp with fiber optic bead. It was the last rifle Jon Speed used in Africa it is also the first rifle I took to Africa. If I could only have one it would be the Brno.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: zimhunter]
      #87389 - 19/10/07 12:43 AM

Over the years I've owned numerous Rugers, and have never had a problem with one. They are as dependable as sunrise. Further, accuracy is good (about one MOA), and the triggers are usually okay, sometimes very good. The safety is positive, easy to manipulate, and quiet. The wood is often quite nice, but in the heavy caliber, standard rifles, it is usually straight grain, which is correct for the type.

There are lots of good rifles out there. From the standpoint of reliability and practicality, none are better than the Ruger. Some are prettier. Some are more accurate. You may be able to do as good as a Ruger, but probably not better, in the price range.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: Tatume]
      #87390 - 19/10/07 12:44 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention: Ruger rings return to zero very well. The tab on the bottom locates the ring positively, and they may be considered QD (if you have a coin to tighten them) rings.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: Tatume]
      #87401 - 19/10/07 03:44 AM

Just saw 2 new Ruger Rifles in the .375 Ruger caliber on sale at Yellowstone Gateway Sports in Bozeman, MT for $839.. thought that was a pretty good deal--

Also saw a Blaser in .416 out there --around $1000. new--

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Shanster
.275 member

Reged: 02/10/06
Loc: Seattle WA
      #87492 - 21/10/07 08:31 AM

Pre 64 win 70 or the ruger . I think the CZ is junkhttp://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=68195&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: Shanster]
      #87496 - 21/10/07 09:03 AM

i would still look at the cz, i know shanster had some trouble with one but here in europe they are considered very good for the price and a lot of costum jobs use the 550 lockwork as a basis. just stay away from the pigback stock that will hurt you every time you pull the trigger.
price wice it groups with the american makes and the cheap italian guns. but they can stand a lot more abuse and still keep on shooting. if you want it to be real fun they make them in 505 gibbs now

peter

Elephant_Man
.224 member

Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: peter]
      #87614 - 23/10/07 01:51 AM

Hey guys! Thanks for your replies. I know just about everybody on these forums will have an opinion on this so keep postin!

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #87665 - 24/10/07 07:44 AM

Pretty easy. Of the rifles you mentioned, the Ruger RSM is the only one that I would consider. You have to spend quite a bit more money to get a better bolt rifle.

My first rifle was a Rem 700. As my dad bought it for me and it should have had considerable sentimental value, it represented something of a pickle - which a nice burglar solved for me when he stole it along with everything else I owned. The CZ is too crude to even be considered a finished rifle. If you decide on Winchester, go pre-64. The sights are crap, but at least that can be changed.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #87741 - 25/10/07 08:36 AM

Just bought and picked up a new big boy toy--And yes, it was a Win 70!!,

A cherry 2000 model 375 H&H at less than 1/2 the going rate of the new guns.A 96%er.It's not a pre 64 but can be tuned and modified for better feeding.

It will be a great gun for my son to practice shooting big bores!!

Edited by hoppdoc (25/10/07 08:39 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #87742 - 25/10/07 08:41 AM

hopdoc

Good pick up.

Pre 64's in 375 without the Cross bolt seemed to crack
the stocks.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #87768 - 25/10/07 09:58 PM

Quote:

Pre 64's in 375 without the Cross bolt seemed to crack
the stocks.

In my observation it was the other way round. The forward lug prevented that from happening. The "new" CRF .375 M70s would wallow out a stock in no time.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #87769 - 25/10/07 10:18 PM

SAKO 75 in 375H&H is very hard to beat infact that would be my choice if I ever bought another 375.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

DGR375
.300 member

Reged: 04/10/07
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #87956 - 29/10/07 02:38 PM

I can't comment on other makes, but I'm over the moon with my CZ550. It has a hogsback stock and in 375 H&H it did smart after 20 rounds or so. So... last week I got it back from the Pine River Gun Shop out of Brisbane.. very happy. It had one of those recoil reducers put into the butt. Now, after shooting all afternoon at the range in a Big Game Rifle Club event, there was no aches at all, even after 8 full factory load shots in 35 seconds!

The other thing done was to get the action bedded; it seems all in the know suggest this, as well as the last modication done by the gunsmith, which was a second cross bolt to help protect the stock from splitting.

I also use a Leupold scope in Warne QD mounts. Very handy for the longer ranges, and for my eyesight. For the "Special Snap" event I removed the scope this time. Makes short range sight acquisition that little bit faster.

If any one is interested, here is the hyperlink to the Big Game Rifle Club, with details of matches, why, and so on:

http://www.biggamerifleclub.com.au/intro.htm

Ripp
.577 member

Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #88003 - 30/10/07 12:52 PM

Quote:

Just bought and picked up a new big boy toy--And yes, it was a Win 70!!,

A cherry 2000 model 375 H&H at less than 1/2 the going rate of the new guns.A 96%er.It's not a pre 64 but can be tuned and modified for better feeding.

It will be a great gun for my son to practice shooting big bores!!

***FYI--if you or anyone else is looking for more--I noticed there is a like new model 70 -NOT A PRE-64---at Scheels Sporting Goods in Billings, Montana--in .375--at a very good price--

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #88051 - 31/10/07 11:26 AM

Ripp,

How much is the M70 .375, and which model is it?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#88079 - 31/10/07 03:24 PM

The Ruger RSM is interesting of the bunch, but sorta blah. However, I would think a nice Sauer 90 would be just the thing, they have a splendid action and a handy drop magazine. Having extra mags in your sack really makes life easy whilst on Safari. Action feeds like butter, they really are a slick design. Colt Sauers especially.

Also, the new Mauser 03 or 98 is also a good choice for the money.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: ]
      #88139 - 01/11/07 06:05 PM

A Winchester in 416REM..

Elephant_Man
.224 member

Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: ozhunter]
      #88378 - 07/11/07 08:05 AM

Hey guys thanks for the input! I ended up getting the CZ. I think I might've subconciously made up my mind before asking for all of the advice. My second choice was the Ruger M77, but I just didn't like the way it felt when I brought it up to my shoulder. It just didn't feel right. I do, however, plan on getting some work done on the action to make it the super feeder it should be. Getting it restocked might also be a possibility since I would like a little better finish, a little better wood, and the best fit there is. Its a heavy gun so if I get it restocked, it will be lighter. I also want to get a 3-positsion safety installed. I've been told to get the trigger redone, but I really don't mind it. If it starts causing problems, I will, but I don't mind it at all so far.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #88389 - 07/11/07 10:05 AM

Elephantman, check out the Great American Stock company - - they had a fire recently & so they have slashed prices by 50% to get their cash flow going. They have some amazing stocks for $300 or less. They have some bargains for as low as $120 with nice wood. I've just orderd a fancy English walnut.

Good luck with your project.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Edited by NitroX (10/11/07 05:54 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: I need some help...which rifle would you pick? [Re: Nakihunter]
      #88396 - 07/11/07 11:55 AM

Nakihunter,

I wouldn't recommend GAG to anyone. They have a spotty reputation at best and a web search would give you more than a little information about dis-satisfied clients.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7092

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com