Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ 550 Safari / Brno ZKK 602 Action Differences?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Sharptail
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/05
Loc: Edmonton, Ab., Ca.
CZ 550 Safari / Brno ZKK 602 Action Differences?
      #41321 - 12/11/05 05:54 AM

Would someone please describe the physical differences between the actions of the Brno ZKK 602 and the CZ 550 Safari? From reading the posts here, it is clear that the 602 is favoured. I have a 550, but have never had a 602 in my hands, and I am curious. Do the dimensions differ? What are the respective weights? Do the bolting systems vary between the two models? Feeding? What else should I know?

Thank you in advance for any information or opinions you may have to offer.

Sharptail

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: CZ 550 Safari / Brno ZKK 602 Action Difference [Re: Sharptail]
      #41324 - 12/11/05 06:48 AM

The actions of the 602 and 550 are the same (dimensionally speaking).

The subtle differences are:

1) safety
2) bolt shroud
3) trigger
4) finish (the 602s have a bead-blasted blued receiver and look similar to a pre-64 model 70 finish)
5) stocks are much slimmer on the 602s

Other than that they are the same, but I (like most others here) prefer the 602. Primarily for the slimmer lines of the stock, i.e.: a good friend has a 550 and it is a little "clubby" compared to my 602 which is "trimmer" and quicker handling.

Mine was made in '92. The earlier made models of the 602 had an optional peep sight.

Do a search here. There was a pretty comprehensive history given of the 602 recently.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

MauserRifle
.300 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: U.S.A.
Re: CZ 550 Safari / Brno ZKK 602 Action Differences? [Re: Sharptail]
      #41328 - 12/11/05 08:12 AM

Sharptail

IMO, there is no comparision between the construction and quality of the Brno ZKK series of rifles and the CZ 550 series. The Brno ZKK series of rifles are far superior rifles.

--------------------
Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

Sharptail
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/05
Loc: Edmonton, Ab., Ca.
      #41339 - 12/11/05 10:07 AM

Gentlemen, thank you for your input. It comes as no surprise that the older model has detail and finishing differences which are considered superior to the replacement. This seems to me to reflect the history of firearms development since the end of WW I - manufacturers find ways to reduce costs in order to compete, and quality, particularly in regards to fit and finish, suffers.

I will have to keep my eyes open for a 602.

Sharptail

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
      #41894 - 18/11/05 11:54 PM

Sharptail

I have come to the same conclusion as you - keep looking for a 602. The guys that have them aren't getting rid of them. Apparently they come up every now and then and you just have to be there at the right time and keep checking. All the best and good luck. Will let you know when I get mine.

Regards
375Fetish

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #41902 - 19/11/05 05:48 AM

In my opinion, the newer CZ 550's are 'modern' looking, brightly polished steel and actions also look more modern.
: The older BRNO's are not as higly polished, but are workhorses of good manufacture, slick up with use, and are much prized - by me, anyway. It does seem the general concensus is that the 'older' less refined rifles are more desirable. For me, it's the claw extractor & European style stock - they both work for me.
; Incidently, if it won't slam feed, you can polish the extractor claw with a dremel tool rubber polishing bit and slightly radius the outside rim of the case itself. This is generally all that is needed for reliable slam feeding, which is nice under some circumstances. I rarely put more than 1 or at the most, 2 rounds in the gun, and being able to to throw another into the port and close the bolt is handy on the rare occurance I want another shot.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

dondford
.224 member

Reged: 21/09/06
Loc: USA Alabama
Re: CZ 550 Safari / Brno ZKK 602 Action Difference [Re: DarylS]
      #62863 - 22/09/06 06:39 AM

Dayrl:
I see you, as I do, like the big guys as well as the small caliber stuff.

I have a Brno. 602 with less than 10 rounds through it in 375 H & H; unlike you I don't like the "humpback' stock design and have thinking about restocking it, but a trade may make more sense.
Do you know of anyone that would want to trade a CZ 550 in 375 H & H for a Brno 602 in 375 H & H?
I'm glad to see the new Small Caliber up, but its a bummer to lost all the old posts.. oh well.

Don

dondford
.224 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari / Brno ZKK 602 Action Difference [Re: dondford]
      #62864 - 22/09/06 06:43 AM

Forgot to mention, the 602 has express sights and has no holes drilled.
D

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #62865 - 22/09/06 06:55 AM

DONFORD

CAN YOU UPDATE YOUR PROFILE SO WE KNOW WHICH
COUNTRY YOUR ARE IN.

THANKS

500 NITRO

dondford
.224 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari / Brno ZKK 602 Action Difference [Re: 500Nitro]
      #62866 - 22/09/06 07:14 AM

USA

DarylS
.700 member

#62870 - 22/09/06 09:26 AM

I will be surprized if you don't get a bunch of responses on that swap request.
: Don't get me wrong, I'm merely attempting to explain the differences between the European stock and the American stock designs.
: While what I've printed here is my opinion, it is also the opinion of all dedicated accuracy offhand shots. There is a valid reason for that stock design and it's in it's shootability.
: You are correct, I do appreciate the iron-sight stocks tht BRNO provided on their 'hunting' rifles. Not only do they allow seeing the sights properly, but with the additon of a scope sight, they allow much more accurate offhand shooting due to the heads-up standing position. Cranking your head over to see through a low mounted scope on an American-style stock is not conductive to accurate shooting as your centre of balance monitor, the inner ear, is slanted over and destroys balanace. This causes more movement in the sights from shooting positions othe than bench shooting. Even the US Olympic teams rifles use a heads-up position, long known for it's superiority and used by all nations who want to win.
; A person either likes those stocks, or doens't. It's much the same as the safeties. Some don't mind and don't even notice, while other people can't get used to them. A bit more practise shooting, perhaps, is needed.

--------------------
Daryl

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #62874 - 22/09/06 10:40 AM

Betcha get a BUNCH of responses on that offer.

Wish I had a 550 to swap with you.

I am no mauser expert but the BRNO 602's I have seen seem to be a better quality action than the 550's and require less work.

Finally found a 602 BRNO based big bore rifle on auctionarms and will probably buy it as Luv2safari made off with my SS 375 Win 70!!

You may want to hang onto that BRNO 375!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (22/09/06 10:43 AM)

dondford
.224 member

#62879 - 22/09/06 12:27 PM

Dayrl:
You could be right; I have shot that rifle less than 10 times and it was off a bench. I almost never shoot off-hand; I either shoot off a bench or from a deer blind with a good rest and 98% of the time the rifle has a scope mounted. Are you saying the 550 American style stock cannot offer the proper sight picture through a scope (or even through iron sights), or are you saying it is important to select the correct height rings? If I keep the rifle and leave the Brno stock on it what height rings should I use, or would you leave it with only the express sights?

Thanks,
Don

dondford
.224 member

Re: CZ 550 Safari / Brno ZKK 602 Action Difference [Re: hoppdoc]
      #62880 - 22/09/06 12:32 PM

You may be right; the consensus seems to be that the 602 is the superior rifle in spite of that "funny" looking stock.

Where in the Southeast are you? i am in the Auburn area of Alabama.

Don

DarylS
.700 member

#62891 - 22/09/06 02:45 PM

There was only one height of BRNO rings when I got mine for the 602. I should NEVER have sold that rifle during a weak moment back in 1976. The high rings worked just fine, but were quite high as are the BRNO rings on my present 7x57 BRNO. this is in comparrison to many States-Side rings on the market. Problem is not too many make srings for the BRNOs, at least I don't see them for sale up here.
: I do enjoy shooting with my eyes level. I look straight at the mark, then snap the rifle up and I'm looking through the scope with the cross-hairs on the target or animal. This doesn't thappen with my Winchester or Mauser Classic stocks. I have to lower my head slightly as I snap the rifle up, but they don't hold offhand as well. The BRNO's seem majical in that regard. This sort of amining is fast, but then, it's what one is used to doing.
: I liked the po-up peep of the BRNO ZKK602 and the Express sights were zero'd for factory 300gr. fairly well.
: For scopes, I've come to prefer a 2X or 2.5X for the thumpers. They work just fine on game to 300yards if necessary, and still shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards on bullseye targets. For lower recoiling rifles, I prefer a straight 4X for a hunting scope. Most moose I've shot have been inside 100 yards. The only one that wasn't was with an iron sighted .45/70 and it was over 300. No big deal - practise makes those fairly easy, even for the open sights. Nowadays, I like to keep everything inside 100yards. that way I won't gut shoot an animal that walks as I pull the trigger. - What an awful deal that would be.
: These are my preferences developed over 35 years of hunting big game in B.C. Canada -other people's of course, vary.
: Leaving for the bush tomorrow morning - I'll be out guiding for 11 days, see everyoen after.

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by Daryl_S (22/09/06 02:52 PM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #62906 - 22/09/06 09:16 PM

I will PM you.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #62963 - 24/09/06 01:42 AM

Daryl

Wholesale Sports carries Lynx and CZ rings, and Talley's can be found at some gunsmiths here. I do not like the CZ rings and have not tried the Lynx. Parker Hale rings are sometimes found on the smaller caliber stuff, they just don't have the piece that fits in the notch on the rear bridge.

Good luck hunting. Are you going for moose or elk? Taking the Brno 7x57?

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11210

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com