Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Whose Rigby Big Game is this? Scope Mounts?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
MauserM03Blog
.224 member

Reged: 01/01/23
Loc: Australia
Whose Rigby Big Game is this? Scope Mounts?
      #372853 - 04/01/23 11:04 AM

Hello all. Rick is my name; a new member. I'm getting close to buying a Mauser M98 Magnum and need some advice.

Can anyone identify the image below? I found it here on NE a week ago, IIRC. I'd like to ask the owner which particular Recknagel mounts these are (part number?), along with their Bauhöhe (height) spec above the Double Square Bridge. I can see the G9-PLUS rear mount and what looks like a 26mm offset for the front mount, but the height is not so easy. Clearly these pivot mounts are providing sufficient clearance between the scope and the bolt handle of a Mauser M98 Magnum action, as used with this Rigby Big Game. Great.

If the owner of this lovely rifle is reading this, would you be able to measure the diameter of the scope's ocular lens housing please? In millimeters if possible. Thanks.

Of course, if anyone has good intel on which scope mounts will work with an M98 Magnum action/bolt handle and a scope such as this, do tell. Thanks. I asked a similar question on another forum recently and haven't got a nailed-down answer yet.

I'm doing an engineering drawing to assess clearances and it's looking a bit problematic, hence my need for more information.

Regards, Rick.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Whose Rigby Big Game is this? Scope Mounts? [Re: MauserM03Blog]
      #372858 - 04/01/23 05:20 PM

Rick, who was the poster of the image?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

MauserM03Blog
.224 member

Re: Whose Rigby Big Game is this? Scope Mounts? [Re: NitroX]
      #372861 - 04/01/23 06:52 PM

Quote:

Rick, who was the poster of the image?

If I could find the image again I'd be able to tell you. But I can't find it! Hence my question - Whose Rigby is this? Once we know whose it is, it might be possible to find out about the scope mounts.

I know that I came across the image while looking at posts about Mauser M98s and Rigbys. That hasn't helped me find it again though. Reverse image search with Google Lens wasn't any help either.

Hopefully, someone will say, 'Hey, that's my rifle! And my giraffe!'

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372862 - 04/01/23 08:02 PM

A friend of mine, I shot with at the Heym International Challenge, corresponded with him before and after that shoot. Moritz Fehrer. Since then he bought Recknagel. I thought he was a member here in NE but he says he isn't.

I will drop him a line.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372863 - 04/01/23 08:47 PM

Btw one of our Aussie members recently took a Rigby Big Game rifle to Africa on safari. It might be him? I'm trying to remember which member.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372864 - 04/01/23 09:17 PM

Moritz has already replied. A good helpful very friendly guy.

Quote:

Regarding the photo: The gentleman is right, it is one of our G9 plus pivot mounts. The height varies and can not be detected from the photo, but maybe this image of our available models helps.

92618-0010 might be the number this mount has a height of 18,5 mm

To make things even more complicated I must tell you that we deliver Rigby occasionally with their special Rigby mount…

However this seems to be a standard Recknagel mount so I would go for it.

I hope this helps?

Best

Moritz

There is a graphic page I need to download, upload and share. Coming ... Might take a little while.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

MauserM03Blog
.224 member

#372865 - 04/01/23 09:40 PM

Quote:

To make things even more complicated I must tell you that we deliver Rigby occasionally with their

This is great information John. Thank you. I will enjoy seeing the image in due course. Thanks.
Rick.

Edit: I've looked at the Recknagel catalogue, which shows that the 92618 series are for 26mm tube scopes, of course. A narrower scope and ocular will help with clearance between the scope and the bolt handle.

A problem I've noted with the Leica Magnus scopes is that they have really fat ocular lens housings. 48mm diameter - yikes. They're reputed to have a great 'eye-box'. That big ocular will help with that. Hmmmm...

Edited by MauserM03Blog (04/01/23 09:46 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #372867 - 05/01/23 12:54 AM

Most if not all of the 1x6 scopes now run a a 24mm objective which in turn means a 45mm or bigger ocular lens. The only way to get a smaller ocular is to go down in objective size and power range like some of the Leupold scopes. Alternatively Meopta and Karl Kaps make a 1-4 which has a smaller ocular, about 40mm if I remember correctly. Its definitely a problem with rifles that turn through 90 degrees, one of the reasons so many companies now make a rifle that turns through 60 degrees.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372868 - 05/01/23 02:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Regarding the photo: The gentleman is right, it is one of our G9 plus pivot mounts. The height varies and can not be detected from the photo, but maybe this image of our available models helps.

To make things even more complicated I must tell you that we deliver Rigby occasionally with their special Rigby mount…

However this seems to be a standard Recknagel mount so I would go for it.

I hope this helps?

Best

Moritz

There is a graphic page I need to download, upload and share. Coming ... Might take a little while.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

MauserM03Blog
.224 member

Re: Whose Rigby Big Game is this? Scope Mounts? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #372883 - 05/01/23 11:12 AM

Quote:

Most if not all of the 1x6 scopes now run a a 24mm objective which in turn means a 45mm or bigger ocular lens. The only way to get a smaller ocular is to go down in objective size and power range like some of the Leupold scopes. Alternatively Meopta and Karl Kaps make a 1-4 which has a smaller ocular, about 40mm if I remember correctly. Its definitely a problem with rifles that turn through 90 degrees, one of the reasons so many companies now make a rifle that turns through 60 degrees.

Matt.

Hi Matt. This is exactly what I'm finding. Most of the nice, modern Euro scopes have big ocular lens housings. It's all those straight-pulls and 60 degree bolts that are to blame.

Some ocular lens housing diameters are below.

Leica Magnus scopes - 48mm
Leica Fortis scopes - 48mm
Leica Amplus scopes - 44mm
Zeiss Victory HT scopes - 42mm. I have a 1.5-6x42 version sitting idle. Hmmm. Could be the answer.
Schmidt & Bender Zenith scopes - 43mm
Schmidt & Bender Exos 1-8x24 Exos - 46mm
Kahles Helia scopes - 47mm (measured on screen)
Steiner Ranger 4 scopes - 40mm
Steiner Ranger 6 scopes - 44mm.
Leupold VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 with 30mm tube - 41.4mm
Leupold VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 with 1" tube - 40mm

A stand-out with a small diameter ocular is the Steiner Ranger 4, at 40mm. I have seen the Steiner Ranger 6 1-6x24mm, with 44mm ocular diameter, mounted on a Mauser M98 Magnum, in Recknagel mounts. Here's a video of this. I don't know how high these mounts are though.
Video of Mauser M98 Magnum

Edit: From studying the video some more I'll suggest that these Recknagel mounts are part number 93015-26xx. It looks like they have a 26mm offset for the front foot and the G9 style rear foot.

Edited by MauserM03Blog (05/01/23 01:09 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#372885 - 05/01/23 02:50 PM

What caliber are you looking at and what are you intending to hunt with it.

the Recknagel mounts always look good and work well but in my opinion make things to high and throw the rifle out of balance to much when holding in the hand. The lower you can go the better in my opinion.
One of the advantages of the M98 as opposed to some other 90 degree turnbolts is that they have quite a long bolt handle which due to the angle that it comes out of the bolt at allows you to actually mount them reasonably low without fouling on a the ocular lens.

If you need to you can always grind a slight scollop in the bolt handle so it clears the ocular bell, something many other gunmakers do as well including H&H and Rigby on the Highlands Stalker.

Matt.

--------------------

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
      #372905 - 06/01/23 08:12 AM

Hi Matt. This is exactly what I'm finding. Most of the nice, modern Euro scopes have big ocular lens housings. It's all those straight-pulls and 60 degree bolts that are to blame.

Some ocular lens housing diameters are below.

Leica Magnus scopes - 48mm
Leica Fortis scopes - 48mm
Leica Amplus scopes - 44mm
Zeiss Victory HT scopes - 42mm. I have a 1.5-6x42 version sitting idle. Hmmm. Could be the answer.

Sorry but it seems you are wrong.
Generally all 42mm diameter front lens European scopes (Swarovski, Zeiss, Kahles, S&B...) bear a 48mm diameter objective bell except for the Leica that are 50mm.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
      #372906 - 06/01/23 08:16 AM

Sorry for my post, I made a mistake confusing ocular and objective bell...

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

MauserM03Blog
.224 member

Re: Whose Rigby Big Game is this? Scope Mounts? [Re: DORLEAC]
      #372907 - 06/01/23 09:25 AM

Quote:

Sorry for my post, I made a mistake confusing ocular and objective bell...

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Hi Dorleac. You have my understanding and sympathy. The two phrases ‘objective lens’ and ‘ocular lens’ are often mixed up, including by me and I’m supposed to be an expert!

I will admit that I was slightly startled by the words, ‘Sorry, you are wrong’, after spending the whole morning looking up specifications, reading user manuals and writing to manufacturers about mistakes I was finding in their documentation or on their websites. Thank you for mentioning Swarovski - I forgot to look at their scopes and will do so now. I don’t think I’ll bother looking at the new Blaser scopes. They’re huge!

MauserM03Blog
.224 member

#372908 - 06/01/23 09:49 AM

Quote:

the Recknagel mounts always look good and work well but in my opinion make things to high and throw the rifle out of balance to much when holding in the hand. The lower you can go the better in my opinion.

Matt.

Hi Matt.

I’m looking at getting a 375 H&H. If I’m in Australia and it’s the one I’m carrying, it will be perfect for feral cats. And hopefully it will cause native African critters to form the view that they should ‘be aware of an Australian with one gun.’

As you suggest, keeping the scope low for reasons of balance will be an aim. But not too low. I think I want my eye and cheekbone to be high enough off the comb to avoid being whacked by recoil. The Mauser’s straight, 90 degree bolt will ensure the set up isn’t too low. The straight stock will help with recoil too. I’ve heard good things about how the Mauser Magnum controls recoil.

Regards, Rick.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Whose Rigby Big Game is this? Scope Mounts? [Re: DORLEAC]
      #372909 - 06/01/23 10:37 AM

No problems Joel, that can happen.

Matt

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#372910 - 06/01/23 10:47 AM

Rick, one of the advantages of the commercial Mauser actions is that as the bolt sits almost vertical when closed, it is therefore a bit above horizontal when open and it is really the root of the bolt handle that dictates the height of your scope setup.

As for taming recoil and cheek slap the best thing I have found is to remove the cheek piece which causes more trouble than they are worth. I have done it on most of my guns and the difference is chalk and cheese.

Matt.

--------------------

MauserM03Blog
.224 member

#372951 - 07/01/23 05:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you for mentioning Swarovski - I forgot to look at their scopes and will do so now.

I spent an hour or more looking at the Swarovski website, including at their user manuals and data sheets. There was very little info about dimensions and nothing on the diameter of their ocular lens housings. What the website did have was lots of photos of impossibly good looking people pretending to use their products. I wrote to them and suggested that they involve more engineers in their website design and fewer sales and marketing people. hehe.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #372959 - 08/01/23 08:03 AM

Quote:

As for taming recoil and cheek slap the best thing I have found is to remove the cheek piece which causes more trouble than they are worth. I have done it on most of my guns and the difference is chalk and cheese.

Matt.

I too, have done this on several of my rifles and have found the same.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2458

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com