Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauserban and the US of A

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Mauserban and the US of A
      #205841 - 24/03/12 02:06 AM

I have been led to the impression that regarding the Mauserban that if the rifle has civilian proofs markings stateting the rifle has not been of military origin.

I know of one who has been importing a B-mauser here recently.

Does anyone know facts regarding this?.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: rigbymauser]
      #205843 - 24/03/12 02:17 AM

I have not imported any myself but do know someone who has.
I believe you are correct about the sporting proof marks.
Some shy away from trying to import guns with the thumb cut but the cut was common to the sporters as well.

I wonder where the NRA is concerning the importation of original military configuration Mausers being OK, but a sporterized Mauser is not. Makes zero sense.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: Huvius]
      #205918 - 25/03/12 04:07 AM

Jens,

I know of one Mauser sporting rifle that was imported recently - thumb cut and all. From what I understand, the decision to let the rifle in or deny entry into the USA is entirely arbitrary and there are no specific guidelines governing this. Some companies will agree to handle the import formalities, while others won't. It is crazy, but, unfortunately, that is how it is. Can't see why any bolt action Mauser rifle should pose any threat to anyone - but how do you explain that to our Gestapo?

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #205966 - 25/03/12 11:04 PM

Can someone explain what the Mauser Ban is meant to entail?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: NitroX]
      #205975 - 26/03/12 02:17 AM

Original Mauser military rifles may qualify for import as collectors' items, but they must be in unaltered (read "collectable" form). A sporter rifle made from a military rifle is by definition "altered" and does not qualify for import.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: xausa]
      #205983 - 26/03/12 09:36 AM

The reason for this is that altered military rifles will rob 7-11 stores, but sporting rifles have better upbringing. You can't trust an altered military rifle. They do bad things.

A similar condition is true of the AR-15 family of rifles. It has been conclusively demonstrated that a bayonet lug will cause the rifle to attack people, especially if a flash suppressor is present to agitate the rifle. This is only true of rifles that were made after September 13, 1994. AR-15 rifles made before that date, or after September 13, 2004 do not have this personalty flaw. All AR-15 rifles that were built without the bayonet lug are good natured and cannot do harm to people.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

xausa
.400 member

Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: Tatume]
      #205984 - 26/03/12 10:55 AM

I think the real problem is that European sporters made on military Mauser actions are cheap enough to compete with Winchesters, Remingtons and Savages at WalMart. Most factory made European guns are too expensive to be competetive with the mass produced home grown firearm.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #206008 - 27/03/12 01:50 AM

I never thought I'd see the day that old Mausers would fall victim to politically correct bureaucratic bullshit... What a completely retarded rule.

Xausa, at first glance I thought you might be onto something. However, I have to question if hunting rifles built on old Mauser actions make up enough of the US national sales to make US producers feel threatened?

I would guess that the vast majority of buyers do not even consider a mauser actioned rifle. That is except the educated few, such as the type of people we have here on NE and similar forums.

xausa
.400 member

Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: EricD]
      #206009 - 27/03/12 03:16 AM

If I'm correst, I seem to remember that this rule dates back to the time when the US market was flooded with surplus military rifles of all descriptions, sold at junk prices. This included the infamous Mannlicher Carcano used in the Kennedy assassination.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 banned the import of all military weapons, and the collector exception was passed later, I believe in conjunction with the introduction of the Curios and Relics license issued to collectors by the BATF. Certainly the definition of Curios and Relics with regard to military weapons matches that of the unlatered military weapons which are allowed to be imported.

A little known fact is that holders of C&R licenses are allowed to import C&R eligible firearms themselves without having to run them through a regular dealer.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #206010 - 27/03/12 03:41 AM

Xausa, that clears things up a little.

From reading the thread, it appeared as if this was something new.

If that is not the case, then I understand that imported cheap Mausers could have been considered a threat to the market back then. In 2012 though, I am pretty sure that my claim regarding how many, if not most people, nowadays would not consider an old Mauser when buying a new gun.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #206011 - 27/03/12 03:43 AM

Tatume, LOL however we have daft rules here in Europe, e.g. military calibres not allowed for sporting use or import, but it varies widely from country to country, here in Spain for example, you can have a .30-06 since not now considered a military calibre (though it was), likewise a .308, you can take these to the UK no problem but if you pitch up in France with one forget it, you might get away with the .30-06 but a mate had his .308 confiscated, no .500 allowed here in Spain unless .500 NE rimmed, Jeffrey or Gibbs, NO, best, Mike (having to smile at the ridiculous rules)

xausa
.400 member

#206027 - 27/03/12 07:47 AM

Quote:

In 2012 though, I am pretty sure that my claim regarding how many, if not most people, nowadays would not consider an old Mauser when buying a new gun.

I would go further than that. Most gun buyers now want nothing but the newest rifle and caliber, and have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to hunt with, say, a Griffin & Howe Springfield made in 1936. (Of course, there are the cultured, well informed members of this forum who keep the prices on classic firearms sky high, but they are in the minority.)

In my opinion, the internet has contributed more than any other factor to the demand for custom made rifles, both historical and new. Every talented gunsmith or gunmaker, however obscure his location, now has a potential nationwide clientele to beat a path to his door. In the course of reducing the size of my accumulation and upgrading its quality,I have sold to buyers all over the country, as far away as Hawaii, and bought from sellers as far away as Alaska. I have been exposed to a market which no gun show can rival.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #206050 - 27/03/12 02:48 PM

Quote:

Most gun buyers now want nothing but the newest rifle and caliber, ...

They're the last things I want.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

dok
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/05
Loc: NT, Australia
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: NitroX]
      #206075 - 27/03/12 11:40 PM

Hmmm...
There's only one good thing i can see come out of this...
Maybe us Aussies will be able to get onto some "nice" mauser rifles (at some good prices) if you blokes in the USA can't import them, especially the way the Euro is at the moment.

--------------------
DOK

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: dok]
      #206174 - 29/03/12 08:29 PM

There appears to be only a few small shipments coming in here, at this time. Nobody with the cash to buy in bulk is interested, I suspect.

Unlike Canada - they are getting a lot of Mausers in, for some 'read and weep' prices, by our standards.

Have a look around on these websites for an idea:

http://www.marstar.ca/main/rifles.shtm

http://www.shop.tradeexcanada.com/produits/64

FWIW, it would be significantly cheaper to export from Canada than the US to Oz, for one-offs.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: Gadge]
      #207172 - 16/04/12 01:00 PM

Quote:

...Unlike Canada - they are getting a lot of Mausers in, for some 'read and weep' prices, by our standards.

Have a look around on these websites for an idea:

http://www.marstar.ca/main/rifles.shtm

http://www.shop.tradeexcanada.com/produits/64

FWIW, it would be significantly cheaper to export from Canada than the US to Oz, for one-offs.

Ye gods... I thought OUR firearms restrictions were ridiculous (Well, some of them are, but that's another story.) We're awash in Husqvarna rifles, thanks to Anthony at TradeEx.

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

Edited by Stuart (16/04/12 01:00 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: Stuart]
      #207569 - 23/04/12 09:19 AM

Stuart,

You guys also have some of the lovely old Brnos which were not sold here during the Cold War years. And, you live in a beautiful place too. No need to worry - your long gun registry is history and you can reclaim your earlier freedoms in the future.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

MaxGera
.275 member

Reged: 15/02/12
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
      #207571 - 23/04/12 10:12 AM

Oh well, I would not even consider anything, but an old Mauser or a pre 64 model 70 for a new custom rifle.

--------------------
To get things done, stop talking and start doing!

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: MaxGera]
      #207637 - 25/04/12 08:41 AM

I like Springfields too......

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Mauserban and the US of A [Re: bouldersmith]
      #207665 - 25/04/12 11:53 PM

Don't be rubbing it in, Stuart - if enough US guys pestered Anthony, he might start shipping South - or heaven forbid, raise his prices. YIKES!

I really like my Tradeex guns. The 9.3x57's a peach - beautiful bore - shoots sub inch with all weights from 225gr. to 300gr., received it bolt turned professionally, drilled and tapped, no cracks, my favourite rifle - $275.00.

9x57 M98 along with 9.3x62's as well. The M98's usually run in the $325.00 to $340.00 range.

Yes - feels like a huge weight lifted with the Long Gun Registry history.

Now, we have to stop that damn pipeline to the West that's going to destroy our water sheds in BC along with putting the entire West Coast in Peril. Those non-inspected Liberian Tankers cannot safely navigate the Douglas Channel let lone the exit corners into the ocean.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10621

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com