Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brno 21H scope mount suggestions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
malco
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/09
Loc: montana, usa
Brno 21H scope mount suggestions
      #159862 - 03/05/10 04:09 AM

Hopefully this is the right category for this query--I'll post in optics as well. I just bought a tidy Brno 21H double-square bridge in 7x57. I'm hoping to mount a modern Kahles Helia fixed 4x to it that previously sat atop a CZ 550 via Warne high QD rings. The Warnes will fit right up to the dovetails on the 21, but unfortunately the butterknife bolt handle won't clear the ocular bell, which is on largish side--visibly slightly bigger than the 36mm objective. Any suggestions on mounts for this combo? I'd really like to utilize the dovetails, and I don't want to shave, cut, or otherwise modify the bolt handle.
Best,
Malcolm

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Brno 21H scope mount suggestions [Re: malco]
      #159865 - 03/05/10 04:51 AM

I'm not sure there is a satisfactory solution to your problem. If you use higher rings, you'll end up craning your neck to see through the scope. I had to use a lace on cheekpiece on my 21H 7X64 Brenneke, in conjunction with the pre-existing claw mounts, and that's not too cosmetically pleasing.

On my 22F 6.5X57 I mounted a Lyman All American Perma Center 4X in Warne mounts and only the slightest modification to the bolt handle allowed it to function. I had planned on using a Unertl Hawk 4X scope, but was stymied by the diameter of the ocular lens, which is far smaller than the one you describe.

If you are determined to keep the bolt handle unmodified, I'm afraid the only practical solution is to go to a scope with a smaller ocular lens.

malco
.275 member

Re: Brno 21H scope mount suggestions [Re: xausa]
      #159869 - 03/05/10 06:29 AM

Thanks for the reply XA--I was hoping to use the Kahles because it's easily the best fixed 4x I've ever looked through, but I fear you may be right. Even if I resigned myself to holding my head upright, I'm actually not even sure an off-the-rack ring exists that would adequately elevate this particular scope on this particular rifle. If someone knows of one, please advise and I'll at least consider it. A friend has a 21 with a straight-tube Leupold, I think a 1.5x4 or thereabouts--I'll probably check his out tomorrow to see how it's all put together.

KurtC
.224 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: NJ, USA
      #159885 - 03/05/10 12:07 PM

The MAK quick release mount for the CZ550 might work as it is. If not, you can attach higher rings.
http://www.kilic-feintechnik.de/fileadmin/pdf/MAKuick_SSM_-_CZ550_Englisch_-_Datenblatt__1_.pdf

The EAW swing away mount also can be assembled with higher rings, but you have to drill 2 holes for the front base.

malco
.275 member

Re: Brno 21H scope mount suggestions [Re: KurtC]
      #159886 - 03/05/10 12:31 PM

Thanks for the reply Kurt--I've got a line on a one-piece steel tunnel-type see through mount mfg. by CZ back in the '70s that also looks like it will work--any thoughts or opinion on that? It's a $130 and the guy will take it back if it doesn't work. My 21H had Weaver bases attached when I bought it, so it's already got two holes drilled fore and aft--not sure if the pattern on the EAW base would work or not, but I'll look into it. I'll check out the MAK as well.
Best,
Malcolm

KurtC
.224 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: NJ, USA
      #159900 - 03/05/10 06:21 PM

The CZ mount is probably your least expensive avenue. The MAK and EAW are about 3x more $$. I've got the EAW mounts on my CZ550 in 7x64. I'll try to get some measurements for you later tonight.

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Brno 21H scope mount suggestions [Re: KurtC]
      #159907 - 03/05/10 10:11 PM

Try a scope with smaller ocular bell or alter the bolt handle. Adding high, or over complicated mounts, will only make your neck hurt and the rifle will look silly

Most of the German mounts are too much for their own good - Cuckoo-clock design bureau New Warne mounts are sintered junk.

There are only two mounts for Brno that I find useful, Talley or Tom Burgess rings (today made by Darrel Ragar). These won't come for free but are elegant and works very well.

Cheers
Johan

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5764

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com