Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Westley Richards 318

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Mark_Dube
.224 member

Reged: 04/01/06
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Westley Richards 318
      #118995 - 17/11/08 10:22 AM

Hello all,

Well it's been less than a month since I acquired my first "vintage" rifle (275 Rigby Lightweight)

Now I have srumbled accross a nice Westley Richards in 318 Accelerated Express. Manufactured in 1954.

It is a single square bridge, and has no notch for loading from a stripper clip.

It had nicely engraved bases for quick release scope mounts, did WR have a proprietory system? Are rings available?

The bolt knob seems unusual to me as well what do you think?

Anyone shoot one? Any tips on reasonably priced dies etc?

Here are a few photos.

--------------------
Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: Mark_Dube]
      #118996 - 17/11/08 10:26 AM

Nice. Have you bought it yet ?

If not, suggest you do if all OK with bore etc.

The Bolt Knob to me looks like it's been added,
however photo not that good so don't take it as
definitive.

Buy RCBS Dies. They work. The other cheaper crap doesn't.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: 500Nitro]
      #118998 - 17/11/08 11:09 AM

Interesting rifle - well worth having.
I have seen bolt knobs like this before - is it aluminum?
Not sure of the scope mount on the front ring, not a WR item I think.
Also, the rear bridge looks like it is soldered on, is it?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: Huvius]
      #119031 - 18/11/08 02:43 AM

I have a 375H&H that is built on a W-R 318 Accellerated Express single square bridge action that appears to be the same action as yours. I believe the front ring on your action is relieved the same as on mine. The front ring rather than have a notch in the top for the long bullet has the front ring milled away from the top right side down to the rail. The amount removed is about the same depth as the single groove usually is and makes sense to me to facilitate loading of long rounds. My bolt handle is a regular Mauser tear drop bolt handle with nice engraving on the handle and the knob.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: zimhunter]
      #119053 - 18/11/08 07:01 AM

mark. this is not a real oberndorf square bridge as westley would often ,and mostly use military actions for there guns the bolt handle was probably altered in england as they tend to do some funky things ,ive had a few of these in fact i let go of a nice one last year with the original scope and westley patent mounts all numbered to the gun if you email simon clode at westlys in england he may be able to shed some more info for you , champlin arms has a 7x57 on his site right now that is built on a oberndorf as not many were ,personally i admire what westley had to go thru to make a military action look and act nice as rigby mostly used oberndorfs and they needed nothing ...paul

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: pjaln]
      #119061 - 18/11/08 09:27 AM

Mine is an original single square bridge Mauser action marked Westley Richards 318 Accellerated Express. The front ring is milled away for clearance as is this one giving me the idea this was a standard WR practice for this caliber. I have never seen it done on another rifle caliber by any other maker.

pjaln
.375 member

#119066 - 18/11/08 11:00 AM

zimhunter,i know there is a pic of a westley takedown on an oberndorf in ludwig olsens book i,ll check to see if that one has the mill cut ,could you post a pic of yours,bear in mind westley worked with whatever they got there hands on ....paul

zimhunter
.333 member

#119111 - 19/11/08 03:00 AM

Sorry,would like to post a picture but have never been able to on this forum. Have no idea what the reason as I have tried every suggestion. Must have something to do with where my photos are hosted but have no idea how to resolve it.

Mark_Dube
.224 member

#119118 - 19/11/08 05:55 AM

Hello,

500Nitro - I did buy the gun (what choice did I have), the bolt knob is a seperate piece of metal but the engraving matches the rest of the gun. I will attempt some additional photos.

Huvius - the bolt knob is not aluminum. I have heard mention of aluminum, ebony or horn bolt knobs, I understand this was so the bolt didn't get too hot in the African sun(???). The engraving on the mounts seems to match the rest of the gun. The bridge may be soldered on. I will attempt better photos.

zimhunter - This rifle does actually have the notch machined at the reat of the front ring to allow clearance for the long projectile. I would be happy to post your photos if you would like, just e-mail them to me vintagesxs@live.ca

Paul - How can I determine the maker of the receiver/action? What photo could I provide to allow you to assist in that determination?

Thank you all for your input.

--------------------
Mark

pjaln
.375 member

#119139 - 19/11/08 10:27 AM

mark, i dont think it would be easy to determine the action maker might , i would think BRNO ,DWM, might be FN or the likes.whatever it is it most likely started life in the military.the cut or shaving of the action on the rear of the ring is to make sure there is enough room for the cartridge to eject without hitting the rear of the front ring .....paul

Mark_Dube
.224 member

#119142 - 19/11/08 11:17 AM

Here is aphoto and details of zimhunter's 375 mentioned above:

Here is a pretty good shot of my Westley Richards/Mauser single square bridge. It shows fairly well the relief that has been milled to the front ring and the square bridge. It was originally a 318 Accellerated Express and is so marked on the left side of the front ring. Bottom metal is original Mauser but off a 10.75. Rifle is now a 375H&H. Bolt is the original with rather unusual ,to me, engraving as no other part of the action is engraved. Back of bolt knob is flat in a perfect circle and is checkered inside the circle. Have never seen another bolt exactly like this one. Cocking piece now has one of Rusty Marlins excellent Rigby style adjustable peeps. Left side of ring is marked 'W.R - 318' under the number 40041 and under that is ' ACCELERATED EXPRESS'. The safety lever has the word SAFE inlaid in gold. Cannot remember if there are any markings on the bottom of the action. Have no idea where the action originated as I bought it as a barreled action less bottom metal from a good friend. Barrel was done by David Miller and is a nice 26" barrel with integral 1/4 rib with banded ramp front and barrel band front swivel. Stock is nice piece of English Walnut that was turned for me by Curt Crum. All in all it turned out to be a pretty nice rifle in probably my all time favorite caliber.

--------------------
Mark

pjaln
.375 member

#119153 - 19/11/08 01:37 PM

that gun has miller written all over it,..paul

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
      #119170 - 19/11/08 06:08 PM

Most definatley an ordinance action, tarted up, WR turned them out by the dozen, this one appears from the 50s, and loks to be of ordinary quality

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: paradox_]
      #119178 - 19/11/08 08:47 PM

Geez, p_, I hope you brought the beer....!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

FrankMartinez
.300 member

Reged: 20/08/04
Loc: The real Northern CA, USA
Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: Marrakai]
      #119280 - 21/11/08 07:53 AM

Congratulations on the purchase. I have one for sale in the classifieds It is the stock take-down LT series.
My other is the barrel take-down and I truly enjoy shooting it.
Frank

Mark_Dube
.224 member

Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: FrankMartinez]
      #119316 - 22/11/08 07:31 AM

Gentlemen,

Here are the promised photos:

Please let me know what you think.

--------------------
Mark

pjaln
.375 member

#119326 - 22/11/08 02:27 PM

definetly done in england , i would bet on it ,its there style, just who done is the question ,if westley does not have any info on it then it could have been any gunsmith there, the gun is not that old considering so the ledger should be availible...paul

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #119335 - 22/11/08 07:05 PM

Mark:
Looks like a nice example of a WR .318 to me. I'd be quite happy to own it.

Now that you do, please tell us how that bolt-knob feels in action!

Quote:

Most definatley(sic) an ordinance(sic) action, tarted up

Not quite sure what p_ was implying by this, but the lack of a thumb cut-out in the left side of the action would tend to suggest that it is probably not a sporterised ex-mil action.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: Marrakai]
      #119343 - 23/11/08 05:06 AM

i hate to be the guy that is pissing in the beer mug, but to me that looks like it never saw england.
The square brigde is sweated on(not part of the forging) so it is not a single square brigde mauser, and i never saw base's like that on a london gun with allan head screws.
the engraving is the most telling sign of a gun out of pakistan or afganistan in the mid range, nicely looking but way to crude to be from any london shop.

again i might be wrong.

please show the proof marks and the writing on the barrel, that should give an indication.

best regards

peter

Edited by peter (23/11/08 05:22 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: peter]
      #119349 - 23/11/08 07:31 AM

Quote:

the engraving is the most telling sign of a gun out of pakistan or afganistan in the mid range, nicely looking but way to crude to be from any london shop.

That's what I thought, too.

Neat gun. I wonder if it DID come from India or Pakistan.

Are such guns commonly "signed" by the engraver anywhere on the gun?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

Re: Westley Richards 318 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #119350 - 23/11/08 07:48 AM

sadly we see more and more faux london name guns, apparing in the sales or just popping up out of nowhere.

first thing to look for is : BARREL BANDS especially for the sling, if i dont see one on the gun, already then i am ready to dismiss the gun as a faux. most of the time im right as well

with the prices that these guns commend these days, there is rarly a free lunch to be had.

buyer beware(please)

best regards

peter

Mark_Dube
.224 member

#119354 - 23/11/08 08:54 AM

You guys are killing me!

Although I am new to British rifles, I have collected and shot British SXS's for many years. I am framiliar with proof marks, engraving styles, etc.

This gun carries appropriate british proof (& view) marks on the barrel, action and bolt.

The barrel inscription "Westley Richards & Co. London" is in the appropriate location (spelled correctly) and is engraved rather than stamped.

The engraving, although somewhat sparce, and not appropriate for a "best Gun" seems quite tastefull and of appropriate quallity for a hunting gun. I have seen big name Brit rifles with far less engraving.

The scope mounts did originally raise a question in my mind, that's why I asked. I don't think hex screws were even available when this gun was made.

The serial number is appropriate for the era, and does kick out a year of manufacture on the WR website.

Do any of you know if there should be any other markings under the wood? What should I look for and where?

Thanks

--------------------
Mark

Edited by Mark_Dube (23/11/08 08:56 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #119355 - 23/11/08 09:04 AM

Mark,

Engraving does not equate to a Best gun and Vice Versa.

IMHO, the gun looks WR but the mounts don't.

I have a few WR 318's. so have a fair idea of what to look for.

peter
removed

#119357 - 23/11/08 09:19 AM

mark i will try to answer to the best of my knowlegde

Quote:

You guys are killing me!

Although I am new to British rifles, I have collected and shot British SXS's for many years. I am framiliar with proof marks, engraving styles, etc.

This gun carries appropriate british proof (& view) marks on the barrel, action and bolt.

The barrel inscription "Westley Richards & Co. London" is in the appropriate location (spelled correctly) and is engraved rather than stamped. yes it is engraved but the work is a lower level of craftmanship

The engraving, although somewhat sparce, and not appropriate for a "best Gun" seems quite tastefull and of appropriate quallity for a hunting gun. I have seen big name Brit rifles with far less engraving.
it is not a matter of amount, with this it is more a matter of styling. way to open and crude to be english

The scope mounts did originally raise a question in my mind, that's why I asked. I don't think hex screws were even available when this gun was made.
hex head screws came in 1906, but are still not accepted on a london gun to this day. the sweated on square brigde is the major give away. WR guns used real actions that were forged

The serial number is appropriate for the era, and does kick out a year of manufacture on the WR website.
until you send them pictures of the gun and get them to letter it that means nothing. i just entered my triumph bonnevilles frame number in there and it gave me a 1934 year.(my bonneville is a '73)

Do any of you know if there should be any other markings under the wood? What should I look for and where?

Thanks

this is as good as i can do without the gun in my hands.

best regards

peter

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #119362 - 23/11/08 11:06 AM

For fifty pounds you could get Westley Richards to send you copies of the records of that rifle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13074

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com