Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The FN Deluxe - Often ignored and always underappreciated

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
keitheherrington
.224 member

Reged: 26/05/19
Loc: Palmyra, Virginia, USA
The FN Deluxe - Often ignored and always underappreciated
      #328840 - 26/05/19 07:13 AM

Some might argue with the subject line, but I challenge anyone to come up with more than a few snippets of information concerning the FN Deluxe, in my opinion one of the finest Mauser rifles ever made. It's a factory offering so it is not up to the standard that many on this forum are used to, in its own way these rifles, made between 1947 and 1962 are nothing short of superb. Offered in a limited number of calibers (you see them most often in 30'06 and 270 Win) this gun epitomized the American Classic formula for a bolt action hunting rifle. Of note, these guns originally sold for $137.50 with a Lyman 48 or Armstrong Dual Range receiver sight installed.

My rifle is serial number 10XXX and made in the early to mid-50s. An attractive combination of rust blue (all except for the polished steel bolt), and very dense old growth walnut. I had the finish on mine carefully stripped and replaced with several coats of hand rubbed Permalyn. The checkering is all original. No need for anything other than a clean up. All the metal was carefully cleaned with Hoppes #9 and bronze wool, and the stock had a bit of bedding added to bring the bottom metal flush with the stock. Over the past 60 odd years the wood had compressed slightly making the stock proud to the metal.

I decided to replace the original butt plate with a traditional brown waffle pad by Pachmayr (w/o the white line) using a 13.5" LOP. The trigger (non-adjustable, military design) was cleaned up by Griffin & Howe and now has a very smooth, if longish pull.

After all the work was done I mounted a Leupold Century Limited Edition 3-9x40 scope with Alumina Flip Back Lens Covers in Warne Maxima rings and bases, all of which to include the scope are gloss and not matte finished. The entire package now has a very classic and period correct appearance, while the scope contains all the latest technical features of modern Leupold scopes.

Of particular note is the rifle's accuracy. With both Hornady's Precision Hunter ammunition and my reloads, both using Hornady's 178 grain ELD-X bullet and shooting to the same point of impact and velocity, the gun consistently shoots sub-MOA groups. With the scope and sling installed it weighs in at 9.2 lbs.

I apologize for not posting photos, but I no longer use Photobucket and am in the process of finding a new hosting service.

--------------------
Keith Herrington

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: The FN Deluxe - Often ignored and always underappreciated [Re: keitheherrington]
      #328852 - 26/05/19 06:48 PM

Quote:

I apologize for not posting photos, but I no longer use Photobucket and am in the process of finding a new hosting service.

Try this (click link): Post photos on NE

It's free, simple, and it works.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: The FN Deluxe - Often ignored and always underappreciated [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #329366 - 14/06/19 09:33 AM

i agree a bargain out there considering ,,some of them have stepped barrels ,,between fn supremes and browning safaris there are some good deals out there....paul

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2304

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com