Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery
      #194658 - 23/11/11 07:53 PM

** C. FLETCHER JAMIESON.
W.J. JEFFERY & CO.
A FINE .500 (JEFFERY) 'MODEL NO.2' SINGLE SQUARE BRIDGE MAGNUM BOLT-MAGAZINE BIG GAME RIFLE, serial no. 25554,
26in. blued nitro barrel signed 'SPECIALLY BUILT FOR C. FLETCHER JAMIESON. BY W.J. JEFFERY & CO. 9 GOLDEN SQUARE. REGENT STREET. LONDON. W.1. 25554', matt ramp-mounted bead fore-sight with tunnel-cover and flip-up moon-sight, matt quarter-rib with rear-sight of one standing and two folding leaves calibrated to 300 yards, the standing leaf with platinum-inlaid centre-line, border and scroll engraved receiver with matt receiver-ring, 14 1/2in. well figured pistolgrip stock including 3/4in. rubber recoil pad (minor setting crack behind receiver), chequered grip and fore-end, dark horn fore-end cap, border and scroll engraved case-hardened pistolgrip-cap with hinged trap-cover, border and scroll engraved magazine floor-plate and trigger-guard each retaining traces of original blued finish, silver escutcheon engraved with the initials 'C.F.J.', sling eyes, in original brass-cornered oak and leather full length rifle case lined in red baize, the lid with W.J. Jeffery leather trade label, with spare coil spring for the bolt, two spare fore-sight elements and a spare tunnel-cover.

Provenance : C. Fletcher Jamieson, the famous Rhodesian rancher, professional ivory hunter and pioneer photographer.

Other Notes: Fletcher Jamieson began his hunting career with a Holland & Holland .500/.450 nitro express double rifle but following an accident changed to a W.J. Jeffery .500 (Rimless) Mauser bolt-action rifle which he used exclusively for a decade taking over 300 elephants with it. He had seen a German-made .500 bolt rifle by Schuler at Mitchell & Fallon's gun shop in Salisbury (Harare) and was taken by the ballistic capabilities of the .500 round but was not impressed with the German rifle. He straight away ordered a .500 from W.J. Jeffery in London which was completed in July 1937. Jamieson was a close friend of John 'Pondoro' Taylor, famed hunter and author of African Rifles and Cartridges, and supplied all the photographs that illustrate Taylor's book. Specific mention is made to Jamieson's Jeffery rifle in the chapter on large bore rifles, Taylor noting that Jamieson specified a 26in. barrel over the normal 24in. to aid balance given his great height. Jamieson died in 1947 in an unfortunate accident whilst working on a well, cutting short the career of one of the last of the great African hunters.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: NitroX]
      #194659 - 23/11/11 07:54 PM

Not a Mauser, but another Fletcher Jamieson rifle:

Holland and Holland Royal .500/450 Nitro Express that was made in 1902, also used and owned by Fletcher Jamieson.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Fletcher Jamieson .500 Jeffery [Re: NitroX]
      #242495 - 16/02/14 10:39 AM

I have often wondered what happened to his Holland.

Can't believe i missed this thread but was out of internet coverage a lot in 2011.

Any more information John? I would like to see more photos and details of this rifle.

Looks like an auction photo?

Cheers, Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8494

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com