Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 6.5X54 mm load

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
6.5X54 mm load
      05/08/19 06:38 AM

I promised 9.3X64mm I would start a new post on the difficulties I was having working up a load with my 6.5X54mm rifle.

First, some notes:

The rifle is a M1903, built and proofed in 1939.

The rifle was very nice with new old stock RWS ammo. No issues, no problem. Very precise. I want to say it could be a 1 MOA rifle. Certainly less than 2.

I did try some NOS Interarms, and got very close to over-pressure. Biggest symptom was a very difficult to lift bolt handle. I considered saving the brass for reloading, but alas, Berdan primers. I made a couple of snap caps out of it, but that's it.

The rifle does like a "long load". I had 40 rounds made by a custom maker, who loaded Hornady RNSPs into the cannelure. Those rounds, unlike the NOS RWS would jam in the magazine. A slight increase in length (comparing the RWS with the ones made) seemed to be the difference. The RWS and the Interarms both had no difficulties while working the bolt. I had no issues with pressure, but could only use the rifle single shot. Loading long seems best.

I was trying to load 160 grain Woodleigh Barnes Protected Point. These bullets are actually a spitzer, and a bit long. Before I started firing, I did check that the sharper point worked in the magazine. The reason I wanted to try the protected point in lieu of the RNSP was in retaining speed. With a muzzle velocity of 2150 to 2200 fps, my charts showed that at 100m the RNSP would drop enough speed to put me below 1475 foot pounds of energy, Forgive my "flipping" between imperial and metric, but at 100 meters I need 1475 foot pounds to meet the German and Polish requirement for 2,000 joules. The "better" ballistic coefficient of the PP round kept enough speed to get me there. Even if I were hunting whitetail in the US, the spitzer would retain speed and limit bullet drop out to 300m. It "seemed like a good idea at the time".

At the time, there was a bit of a powder shortage. The only powder I could find was Vihtavuori N160. VV does not list load data on their site, but when I contacted them they suggested that a load similar to H4350 as listed in the Hornady manual (37.5 grains) should be a safe starting load.

I used Federal Match GM210M (not magnum) large rifle primers, in once fired Norma and RWS brass. Dies were provided by 4D in a Dillon 550 press.

I used a taper crimp of about .002 inches.

Cartridge Overall Length was 3.009 inches. (Honnady manual listed a max of 3.063. Brass was trimmed to 2.110.

I loaded a series of rounds, working up from 37 grains (10% less than the "safe load"), expecting about 2000 fps MV, and working up to the max listed of 40 grains, expecting a MV of 2200 fps.

37 grains gave me obvious signs of pressure: in addition to a dropped primer, at the base, where I measured the brass before firing at .4500 inches, it expanded to .4565. I stopped.

My first thought was perhaps too hot. I went down to 35 grains, with a COL of 2.999 - 3.002. Three rounds. Again, dropped primers. I stopped there.

I thought that perhaps the bullets were oversized, but the RWS makes me think not. I did use a micrometer on both RWS and the Woodleigh bullets just to check, but they were the same.

My four thoughts are:

1. I loaded to the lands. I don't think so, but could be. Answer: Cast the chamber (to be done).

2. Brass was too long. I can solve that by casting the chamber, too.

2. Headspace problems. The RWS rounds made me think not, the Interarms had me worried. Just in case, I used the "tape method", and measured the headspace to between .004" and .005", so probably not that.

3. My load was actually UNDER loaded. Perhaps the powder (when horizontal) was "below" the primer blast, and did not send the round down the barrel until too much pressure built up? I'm not very experienced at this, but I've heard that's possible. Of course, after dropping a primer, I wasn't about to add more powder.

I don't think it was the slight taper crimp.

My thought at the time was that perhaps the PP was too far, and I should stick to RNSP. I would still like to get it to work, if possible. I should probably find a listed powder, get the RNSP to work, and then try PP, but I'm not sure.

I am very much open to suggestions. I know I can get a bit more speed from 140 grain, and probably hit 2,000 joules that way, but I'd really like to go with 160 grain if possible.

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* 6.5X54 mm load DonZ 05/08/19 06:38 AM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load DarylS   05/08/19 09:37 AM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load 93x64mm   06/08/19 06:34 AM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load DarylS   06/08/19 02:08 PM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load Waidmannsheil   06/08/19 04:24 PM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load DonZ   07/08/19 02:01 AM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load DonZ   07/08/19 04:14 AM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load 93x64mm   07/08/19 06:08 AM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load Hook   07/08/19 02:21 PM
. * * Re: 6.5X54 mm load DarylS   07/08/19 02:00 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2886

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com