Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion
      18/01/18 03:41 PM

I recently acquired this Model 1908, proofed in 1909 (early example), and retailed retailed by Purdeys in 1909
It is now chambered for 243Win. I know…. I hear you all cringing., and saying that isn’t going to work.
With some trepidation I made the purchase knowing the inherent problems that can be incurred when dealing with “ non parent” cartridges in the Mannlicher magazines. Feed and magazine issues, and failure to keep the original character of the rifle being the most common problems.
I was pleasantly surprised on receiving the rifle, it’s in fine, excellent condition and the bore is new!!
Proof marks indicate the rifle went back to its birthplace for the rebarreling, Id like to think to Steyr, but probably not??. ( Photo barrel marking)
It appears everything was done to keep the rifle as true to its originals specs as possible, the barrel profiled to the channel and most of the original furniture kept. The rear sight blade is a replacement.
A recoil pad was added (shame).
I’m guessing that the mounts and scope were added at the time of re barrelling, and I can date the scope to 1970.
Although the front mount covers the ring It is non the less tasteful and in keeping.
Now here is the good part. The Original magazine has been modified and a copy of the guide ring found in the later ( post 1924) models added, the front and rear guides in the magazine body are retained The 243 cartridges are held correctly removing any risk of jamming. Photo shows an early " 03" for comparison.
It feeds bullets ranging from 75GRHP-105GR RN & SP and no matter what I do I cannot get them to jam. Photo shows how the retaining ring supports the cartridge neck.
The long 105GR do exceed SAMI MAOL (2710), even when loaded 00:20 off the lands but all bullets function and feed correctly. No jamming, no third cartridge syndrome. The barrel appears brand new, with standard 1:10 twist.
So it can be done!. I’m not advocating anyone should destroy a perfectly good Mannlicher, and 243 would not have been my first choice. However for those who own an example whose barrel is beyond hope, and then there are options. Just make sure your smith knows what he is doing!
I am about to start load testing, and will report back.

Eric

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion paradox_ 18/01/18 03:41 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion paradox_   20/01/18 05:59 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion Carpetsahib   18/01/18 11:33 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion paradox_   19/01/18 07:16 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion kuduae   19/01/18 11:28 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion lancaster   18/01/18 05:25 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion BrittanyMan   22/01/18 06:10 AM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion paradox_   22/01/18 06:26 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion Waidmannsheil   22/01/18 08:24 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion twobobbwana   23/01/18 05:07 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion NitroXAdministrator   20/01/18 07:09 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion Carpetsahib   20/01/18 12:14 AM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion Waidmannsheil   20/01/18 07:43 AM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion Waidmannsheil   18/01/18 06:40 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion Rothhammer1   18/01/18 07:22 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion kuduae   18/01/18 09:34 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion Rothhammer1   18/01/18 09:44 PM
. * * Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion Eck   18/01/18 11:19 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4344

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com