Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: männlicher side scope mount

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Chazgunner
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/21
Loc: Arizona
männlicher side scope mount
      #349988 - 04/02/21 07:30 AM

Looking for scope mount Mannlicher–Schönauer WWII vintage. Lupo rings the best? I'm a total newbie at this. Had the gun since I was 5.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: männlicher side scope mount [Re: Chazgunner]
      #349997 - 04/02/21 09:10 AM

Quote:

Looking for scope mount Mannlicher–Schönauer WWII vintage. Lupo rings the best? I'm a total newbie at this. Had the gun since I was 5.

If you could share some pictures of your rifle it may help the forum fully understand what you are looking for. What is stamped on the top of the front receiver ring? Last how old are you so we can date the era when you got it and who did it come from if you can tell?

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #350026 - 04/02/21 07:39 PM

Quote:

You have asked a 'loaded question'.

First, member LRF is absolutely right. Your question is near meaningless and quite impossible to answer as presented. We need more information.

(Note to self; stop falling asleep during William Powell movies.)

Second, regardless of what model your MS, to mount a scope on a Mannlicher Schoenauer is far more involved than to simply locate 'rings'.

Identify your Mannlicher Schoenauer

The front receiver ring is the first place to look.

The receiver above is an M1910 (9.5X57) manufactured between 1924 and 1938.

The above stamp on left side rail was changed in 1926 to 'Steyr - Werke AG'.

---------------------

For the issue of 'scoping' an MS, let's start with the basics:

If your receiver ring is stamped M1900, don't mess with it. They were essentially pre production prototypes - sales samples and are quite valuable.

If stamped Y1903 or Y1903/14 with a large crest above, it's a 'Greek contract' military MS - many have been 'sporterized'.

The early MS sporting arms had model numbers which corresponded to their MS proprietary chamberings. M1903 was 6.5X54 (as were the 'Greeks' and M1900), M1905 was 9X56, M1908 - 8X56, and M1910 was 9.5X57 (.375 Nitro Express Rimless to the Brits). The M1924 'Sequoia' was built on a new and longer receiver for the 'U.S. Cartridge of 1906' (.30-'06).

With the new receiver, Steyr included more chamberings and abandoned the model numbering system. From 1925 and through WW2 they would be marked with their 'kalibre' rather than model no.

If your receiver is stamped 'Made in Germany', don't mess with it. There weren't many sporting arms made during the 'Anschluss' (Nazi occupation of Austria), and those have added value.

For any of the above models and through the M1950, to add a side mount scope requires that a flat area be machined to the left side of the receiver in precise alignment.

The M1950 saw a return to model numbers, but things get odd later.

If you disassemble your MS, use proper fitting (thin) drivers.

The early MS are difficult and expensive to 'scope'. They (pre WW2) models often employed claw mounts or the pinch mount known as a 'Vienna Snapper'. These superb systems allowed simple, one handed, removal / reattachment with instant return to zero and were mounted to not obstruct the iron sights when attached.

Mauser with claw mount:

Claw Mount (on MS):

Mannlicher Schoenauer with 'Vienna Snapper':

Vienna Snapper:

It was during the 1950s that Steyr provided a precisely machined area in just the right place for side mounts with a cover plate installed for those who wished to remain scopeless:

Even so, those mounts are some chunky monkeys. For a cleaner option of the 1950s, Steyr offered a new swing away mount of their own:

All of this is but 'tip of the iceberg'. If you can provide clear photos (or at least very detailed and accurate description) of your MS we can identify the model. Once the model is identified we can likely steer you in a proper direction.

Be aware, however, that MS scope installation by any means except, perhaps, the later model side mounts, must be performed by a master craftsman that has specific experience scoping Mannlicher Schoenauers.

Also be aware that 'uncut' MS often trade at a premium.

William Powell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlAk9O7n6s4

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Chazgunner
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/21
Loc: Arizona
Re: männlicher side scope mount [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #350234 - 10/02/21 07:21 AM

Thanks so much for all the info. As it turns out it is a Breda 1927, Y1903/14 with a Swiss Cross above.
So anyone have a part number or description for a Claw Mount or a Vienna Snapper to fit?
Also, what scope would accept either mount?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #350249 - 10/02/21 03:51 PM

your swiss cross is in reality a greek cross

snap mounts are out of production for a long time, claw mounts are still avaiable https://www.eaw.de/en/produkte/einhakmontagen/

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#350299 - 12/02/21 05:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks so much for all the info. As it turns out it is a Breda 1927, Y1903/14 with a Swiss Cross above.

Now we're getting somewhere, perhaps .

As Lancaster advised, the cross is Greek. Their navy models had an anchor in the same position.
Though some sources say the Breda MS were made in Italy, many maintain that they were manufactured in Austria and assembled in Italy (to circumvent export regulations then in place) while others insist they were made completely in Austria and merely 'drop shipped' through Breda.

Is your Breda 'sporterized' or still in military form? Still 6.5X54? There may be merit in keeping it unmodified if original and in top condition. If sporterized, how much and by whom? May we presume it wasn't milled for a side plate?

New England Custom Gun offers claw mounts. They, as with any claw mounts, are rather expensive and must be installed by qualified experts.

NECG Claw Mount

Website: https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/products.php?cat=279

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBA1BpYyG8M&feature=youtu.be

Navy

Greek Cross

Breda

Here's a bit more MS info: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ma...velocity.47277/

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#350801 - 24/02/21 05:33 PM

Quote:

Informative article from 'German Hunting Guns' regarding early scopes: Early Euro Scopes

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2143
Calendar Event: 04/02/21

Rate this topic

Jump to