Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
deeangeo
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/15
Loc: United Kingdom
Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top!
      #312942 - 24/02/18 01:52 AM

Sometimes I wonder.

I decided to buy a Steyr Mannlicher Classic Stutzen .. 6.5 x 55 SE 2001 vintage.
As usual with modern stutzens, the muzzle cap and stock forend have been and remain in contact with the barrel muzzle.
It’s always a bit of a bugger to sort these out so they shoot properly, also, there’s no doubt that when they are sorted, they do shoot rather well.
The trouble is, there’s not a lot of wood to play with at the stock forend and invariably the muzzle cap has to be butchered carefully to achieve the desired result.

So, before I begin, (done this twice before on Mod. L & M stutzen’s) does anyone have any suggestions that may help me along an easier path? (Other than ‘give up & buy something else’)
Cheers all, d

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top! [Re: deeangeo]
      #312954 - 24/02/18 04:51 AM

Read an article some 20 or 30 years ago, about full stocked rifles and getting them to shoot.
The article noted that a full stocked rifle's barrel should touch the stock just ahead of the action for 1/2"(standard bedding for floating a barrel), then again only at the forend cap, which sometimes is screwed to the barrel as-with the Ruger Internationals.

A fellow where I worked at that time (the jail) asked me to 'fix' his .243 International to get it to shoot & also work up a load that would kill a coyote with ANY hit. I did just that, as noted in the above, re-bedding the action (it was poorly done), then floating the barrel (barely) to the end cap, where it was also glassed for a perfect fit and screw locked. Thus, the stock touched at the action and at the forend cap-floating in between.

With 75gr. Hornady HP's at about 3,500fps, the rifle went from 2 1/2" previously at 100 metres, to shooting just at 1/2" for 5, yes, 5 shots, from cold to hot, no walking, tiny hole.

sry, got carried away - old wounds and all - this type of bedding might work on your Mannlicher, Deeangeo.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top! [Re: DarylS]
      #312961 - 24/02/18 05:30 AM

Thanks Daryl, not sure how I’ d ‘Fix/Lock’ the muzzle cap to the barrel, - it does free float right from the receiver until both stock and cap interfere with the last inch of barrel toward the muzzle.
I understand the barrel should be entirely free floating without any interference, as were the earlier Mod.L & M rifles I’d sorted previously.
Cheers, d

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
      #312973 - 24/02/18 08:56 AM

If it were my rifle I think I'd do as Daryl suggests. That is to say, ensure you have positive even bedding of the action and reinforce, a clear barrel channel, and even, positive contact, at the muzzle. Take it to the range and test that arrangement. If the results are poor or inconsistent experiment with paper shims of varying thicknesses placed between the muzzle and cap. If this degrades accuracy it may be time to consider reducing the amount of upward pressure on the muzzle. Just use an appropriately sized dowel and a bit of sandpaper to slowly relieve the upward pressure. If this results in an improvement, keep doing it until you free float or accuracy begins to decline. If it declines, shim the muzzle cap at the appropriate pressure point to restore accuracy and seal.

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top! [Re: lonewulf]
      #312975 - 24/02/18 09:08 AM

Quote:

Just use an appropriately sized dowel and a bit of sandpaper to slowly relieve the upward pressure. If this results in an improvement, keep doing it until you free float.

This is indeed the process I used successfully in the past.
Also, the actual metal cap has needed as in the current case, to be widened to remove cap interference on the muzzle.

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #312982 - 24/02/18 10:36 AM

Quote:

...the muzzle cap has to be butchered carefully to achieve the desired result.

A delightful turn of phrase, that.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top! [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #313010 - 24/02/18 05:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...the muzzle cap has to be butchered carefully to achieve the desired result.

A delightful turn of phrase, that.

Ha .. granted it has a twang to it, but at least if one makes a balls up with the process, a replacement isn’t too difficult to find .. at a price of course!

--------------------

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
      #313522 - 05/03/18 09:14 PM

Boddington in “Accurate Rifles” gives the story of a full stocked mannlicher that he got to shoot well with a couple of business card packing under the barrel about half way along to give firm positive pressure on the barrel.

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top! [Re: HeymSR20]
      #313603 - 07/03/18 09:40 AM

Righty ho, that’s the stock sorted out, free and clear of contact with the barrel, just the metal end cap to machine now.
And a few quid more to be spent on a decent scope, then I’m done until I buy another stutzen.
Got my eye on one ... a MSCh M1903 .... sweet!

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313607 - 07/03/18 12:04 PM

Quote:

I’m done until I buy another stutzen.
Got my eye on one ... a MSCh M1903 .... sweet!

Does the lift in your head go all the way to the top?

Anyone planning to purchase an M1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer is clearly sane in my opinion (for what it's worth).

Have you considered a 'Takedown Model'?

--------------------

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top! [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #313619 - 07/03/18 07:30 PM

Where do you come up with this stuff???

There you go RH1, I knew I was sane all the time...but do question why I do it from time to time.
I do as you know, have a M1903 Takedown.
But Stutzen's are a delight.
It's not the older ones that are troublesome (usually), just the later ones since late 1980's

I never understood why Steyr Mannlicher just didn't design & make it better, apart from the likely instruction from the 'money' boys in the background to cut costs.

--------------------

Edited by deeangeo (07/03/18 07:31 PM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#313620 - 07/03/18 07:59 PM

Quote:

I do as you know, have a M1903 Takedown.

Apologies, I had forgotten that you were one who already has a M1903 Takedown.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2740

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com