Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Steyr Model 1898

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Steyr Model 1898
      #304988 - 08/09/17 04:21 PM

Gentlemen, I just purchased a Steyr model 1898 and would like to know if the En Block Clips from a Model 1895 Dutch will fit and work. Thanks in advance.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Steyr Model 1898 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #305008 - 08/09/17 11:47 PM

There was no "Steyr model 1898". I suspect your rifle being marked "Steyr 1898" on the left receiver wall, just like my G.Gibbs, Bristol & London, Mannlicher on a M95 (Dutch) action.

This is not a model designation, but the year of production.
The model designation was usually marked on the top of the receiver ring, but my Gibbs M95 lacks it too. On the other hand, my other early rifles are marked "Modell 1900" on receiver ring and "Steyr 1901" on sidewall, another one "Modell 1903" and "Steyr 1905".
All the clip loading, turnbolt Mannlichers, Romanian M92 and 93, Dutch M95 and Portuguese M96, use the same en-bloc clips.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Steyr Model 1898 [Re: kuduae]
      #305023 - 09/09/17 09:25 AM

Hi Axel, thanks for the prompt answer. I had a feeling that you were going to say that as after posting that question I went home and had a look at the Mannlicher book by Walter H.B. Smith and there is no Model 1898. It is definitely a Model 95 dutch which has been sporterised. It has no model number on the receiver, only 1898 on the left side so I incorrectly assumed that was the model number. This is my first model 95 so I am still learning. It makes sense though as the serial number underneath has no decimal point followed by a number to indicate the year of production like a Schoenauer has.

Interestingly, mine is almost identical to yours in that the front sight, sling swivels, pistol grip stock, bolt handle and even the timber figure are the same, only the rear sight is different as mine has a single standing leaf to 100, three folding leaves to 400 and a flip up ladder to 1000. It has British proof marks but no retailer or makers name and needs some work. Unfortunately the front site blade is broken.
On a positive note, a chap here in Australia was selling two en Block clips to suit a model 95 Dutch on eBay for forty dollars so I bought both.

Thanks again for your help.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Steyr Model 1898 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #305046 - 10/09/17 12:04 AM

Quote:

Interestingly, mine is almost identical to yours in that the front sight, sling swivels, pistol grip stock, bolt handle and even the timber figure are the same, only the rear sight is different as mine has a single standing leaf to 100, three folding leaves to 400 and a flip up ladder to 1000. It has British proof marks but no retailer or makers name and needs some work.

Apparently your rifle was sporterized by George Gibbs, Bristol, too. G.Gibbs imported many Mannlichers and Mannlicher-Schoenauers from the Steyr factory military production, restocked them in their distinctive style, put on British style sights to order and not only retailed them themselves, but also sold them to other gunmakers for retail. Some went unmarked as to retailer, but many have other "name" addresses on the barrel.I have seen them marked by Rigby, Purdey, Atkin and Cogswell & Harrison. Such an added on "name" address would change the rifle in no way, but it would certainly rise the price considerably.
But such noname G.Gibs rifle is easily recognisable: All have a G.Gibbs B-prefix serial number besides the Steyr number and, perhaps, a serial number of the retailer. Mine is Gibbs number B3085.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2340

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com