Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: M95 sights and scope mounts

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
TNHillbilly
.224 member

Reged: 20/01/08
Loc: TN
M95 sights and scope mounts
      #146806 - 27/11/09 02:48 PM

Hello List,

I'm considering "rescuing" one of the recent 8x56r, Century M95 'carbine' imports, which is already victimized by "bubba".

I'm thinking of recreating a period style M95 sporter. Comments?

Does anyone know of current production peep and/or express sights for the M95?

Does anyone know of current production, M95 specific scope mounts, available in either civilian or military WW1-WW2 period style?

Sincerely,
TNHillbilly

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LongIsland
.224 member

Reged: 09/02/09
Loc: New York, U.S.A.
Re: M95 sights and scope mounts [Re: TNHillbilly]
      #146812 - 27/11/09 03:28 PM

This site might help

www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/custom_rifles/classic_mannlicher.html

Bob

TNHillbilly
.224 member

Re: M95 sights and scope mounts [Re: LongIsland]
      #146814 - 27/11/09 03:45 PM

Bob,

Thank you, the link is very nice.

I like the M95 straight pulls since a real M-S is out of my price rage today. Closest I've come was a sporterized Greek M-S rifle I had about 30 years ago. I still miss that rifle, very smooth action, and the rotary mag were facinating to me as a youth.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #146870 - 28/11/09 03:05 PM

I have seen a couple original 1895 straight pull sporters from preWWII. One a mannilcher full stock and the other with short forend. Both in 8x50R (not the 8x56R). They were very nice looking sporters.
I am working on an 1893 in 6.5x53R. Much like the link from "LongIsland".

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

TNHillbilly
.224 member

Re: M95 sights and scope mounts [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #146910 - 29/11/09 10:21 AM

Hi 88,

The internet information on early sporters is what is inspiring my newbie questions. I'm learning the M95 St. Pull is a fine piece of gun history. The 8x56R carbine as imported is almost a big bore at ~.329-,330". Well at least in my limited bigbore experience.

I learned a lot from the LongIsland link and understand the 6.5 M95 bolt action sporter restorations. I've passed so many over the years in my ignorance. Military configurations were the quest and I ignored the sporters and bubbas.

Also it seems the 6.5 bullets for reloading are much easier to locate than the ~.33".

Now having located this forum I'm realizing my tunnel vision has caused several missed opportunities over the years. That is why I'm asking about the various sight & scoping options, references, or sporter links others may know about.

Is it difficult to rebarrel either of the Mann. M95's should a bore be bad?

Regards,
TNHillbilly

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #147036 - 02/12/09 03:49 AM

hello hillbilly, have you seen my older post about M 95 sporter?
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=122529&an=0&page=1#Post122529
the english style M 92 sporter is not realy helpfull. in any case no express sigths for the M 95. this is only for shoot down the british in tranvaal and oranje freestate. no real sportsman will shoot game over 200 yards with open sigths.
every european made open sigths like this here

will be rigth. you can see in my old post that the mannlicher have a 3 feet suhl claw mount, very high for getting the mannlicher packet loader into the magazin. this is a great problem with mannlicher magazins, I have seen a british mannlicher M 92 sporter with a german WW 2 side mount. the charger was cut to hold only 3 rounds for make the rifle working with scope.
have a german gun magazin somewhere with a new made mannlicher M 95 sporter. the gunmaker have used one of this short pistol scopes and mount it so on the barrel or receiver that the charger get into the magazin.
the mannlicher M 95 sporter are all guild guns, the steyr works never made sporter from this ( what I know). you see a copy of a Franz Sodia catalog in my post from 1914. it was around as a sporter before WW 1 but Steyr make only the mannlicher schoenauer rifle.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (06/12/09 12:07 AM)

lancaster
.470 member

Re: M95 sights and scope mounts [Re: lancaster]
      #147040 - 02/12/09 04:25 AM

just find pics of the WW 1 military scope mount on gunboards
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=145160

you see that the scope is located on the side of the rifle. this make it possible to set the scope lower over the receiver, the french had have similar side mounts for theyr lebel and berthier rifles.
I am dare to say that you will not find a mannlicher M 95 scope mount, not in europe and not on your side. look for someone how is able to build or try it.

again another hunting rifle for sale in austria
http://www.waffengebraucht.at/prog/artik...&xraritaet=

you see that this is another "Side" mount, also low and make it possible to bring the charger into the magazin.

Edited by CptCurl (06/12/09 12:08 AM)

TNHillbilly
.224 member

Re: M95 sights and scope mounts [Re: lancaster]
      #147162 - 04/12/09 08:53 AM

Hi Lancaster,

Thank you for the informataive postings! I do like the looks of the WWI sniper long rifle in your picture. The side mount is the style I'm looking to recreate. Your comment on the British sporter using a WWII German side mount is interesting.

I wonder if the current reproduction WWII German (short or long side rail) or WWII Russian (PE/PEM) side mounts would fit a M95 straight pull?

Would you have any other scope mounting ideas or comments?

Sincerely,
TNHillbilly

lancaster
.470 member

#147189 - 04/12/09 10:21 PM

I am only hope to help. we have gunmakers here able to copy such a scope mount with the file but I fear it will be a very expensive pleasure.
it needs proably some hours to find the old gunmagazin again but I will try it.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6143

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com