Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Experimental Mannlicher 1905 Sporting Carbine

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Experimental Mannlicher 1905 Sporting Carbine
      #359996 - 04/01/22 01:57 AM

Strange one, but I like the looks for a semi-auto. https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101798971

Edited by casper50 (04/01/22 02:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Experimental Mannlicher 1905 Sporting Carbine [Re: casper50]
      #360026 - 04/01/22 02:11 PM

Quote:

Strange one, but I like the looks for a semi-auto. https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101798971

For the archives:

Text of auction listing - Guns International #: 101798971
Seller's Inventory #: CM19-306 (January 2022)

RARE Experimental Mannlicher 1905 Sporting Carbine Serial Number 1! ** G.I. Bring-Back from WW2 ** for sale

Description:
Wow this is one very cool find. The family of a World War 2 veteran brought this in to us, explaining that his dad brought this home as a "war trophy" after picking it up in Germany on the march to Berlin. Not only is this semi-auto carbine something we have never seen before, but it is the very first one made, serial number 1!!! We have been unable to find much information at all about it online or otherwise. From what we have found, it is a scaled-down version of the experimental Mannlicher Model 1905. The full size experimental M1905 was chambered in 8mm Mauser, while this rifle appears to be in some obscure and short 9.3mm cartridge. Outside of the chambering and physical dimensions of the rifle, the action and appearance is nearly identical to the full size 8mm Mauser model. The semi-auto rifle uses an integral 5-round rotary magazine and a recoiling bolt and barrel assembly (the barrel assembly moves over a 1/2 inch rearward in addition to the bolt cycling rearward). The ride side of the carbine has a bolt-stop lever mounted on the side of the
receiver, and the safety is a lever mounted to the right of the trigger assembly. The serrated button on the left side of the receiver is a cartridge release allowing the user to empty the cartriges out of the carbine without cycling them thru the action. The 5-round rotary magazine can be accessed by pushing the button mounted ahead of the triggerguard on the bottom of the rifle while pulling down with two fingers in the recesses on each side of the receiver. This rare little carbine appears to be all-original and unmolested. The finish appears to be the original factory blue finish and the stock set is the original wood. As you can see from the close-up pictures of the left side of the carbine a piece of the handguard has been broken off at the rear. The original broken piece of wood comes with the gun and could be repaired by someone skilled in stock repair. There is a picture provided with the 2 pieces of wood laid on the gun to show what it looks like. The barrel of this Mannlicher carbine is 20.5" inches long with a solid rib and iron sights. The rear sight has a notched rear blade with a flip-up leaf for 200 meters. The overall length of this carbine measures 40.5" inches. Most of the parts of this rare gun are unmarked except for the receiver and barrel assembly which is serial numbered "1". The unique action on this carbine seems to be in perfect working order but the mainspring seems to be weak and the threaded-in barrel is loose. The internals are nice enough that we have no doubt if the mainspring was replaced and the barrel tightened up in theory it would function. With that being said, this carbine should be treated as one-of-a-kind and is a collectible and not a shooter. We will continue to attempt to find information about this amazing gun and add it to the listing if found. If you have been looking for a really cool gun for your collection that absolutely no one you know has, this is it!! Serial number 1 of an experimental semi-auto Mannlicher carbine from the early 1900's!

Price: 12,500.00

Curio/Relic: Yes
Manufacturer: August Lok Sohne?
Model: Mannlicher 1905 Sporting Carbine
Serial Number: 1
Caliber Info: 9.3mm x ?? (.35 Caliber)
Manufacture Date: 1905

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Experimental Mannlicher 1905 Sporting Carbine [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #360027 - 04/01/22 03:19 PM

I was going to buy it outright, then saw the stock damage.
Oh well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Experimental Mannlicher 1905 Sporting Carbine [Re: DarylS]
      #360049 - 05/01/22 06:23 AM

Quote:

I was going to buy it outright, then saw the stock damage.
Oh well.

One could repair it or have a replacement stock crafted for it and set aside the original.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Experimental Mannlicher 1905 Sporting Carbine [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #360051 - 05/01/22 07:39 AM

Sorry - I was just trolling you. Interesting rifle indeed.
With an outrageous price for a broken stock.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1519

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com