Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: M1905 carbine

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
vagrouser
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
M1905 carbine
      #224976 - 08/02/13 02:29 PM

I just purchased this rifle tonight and have not taken receipt of it yet.

I gather the 1905 is one of the less commonly encountered pre-war models and can be problematic to load for given substantial variation in bore diameters. I expect that the cartridge will also overlap significantly with the 9.5x56 M 1910 I recently acquired but this is one of those situations where the individual rifle and not the chambering sold me. Duplicitous or not, it hopefully will be great for medium-sized game...

I'm waiting on higher res pics to tide me over and will update this thread with those and some better shots once I receive the rifle. A huge bonus for me is the Lyman #36 it is fitted with--this sight has eluded me for years. I also appreciate the early rounded PG.

Overall condition appears fine, but not so great that I'll hesitate to use it.

Here's the seller's description followed by his photos:

"From my personal collection. This fine rifle was sold by Griffin & Howe Aug.16, 1909 to the famous at time Dr.R.V. Price, a prominent patent medicine quack. He became a wealthy man through his practice, patent medicine sales, hospitals, books and other lucrative questionable endeavors. The rifle comes with dies, a large number of bullets and formed brass so you can shoot it if you like. SN 2069. This rifle is as found in a wealthy Texas families estate. The original blue is 95% with some freckels, perfect mechanicals, the original wood & finish are 85% with dinks and show the heavy use in AFRICA! Apparently the good doctor took this rifle to Africa or India at some point as the buttstock is stamped with the customs inventory number "5763", as was the common practice at the time. The bore is mint. Fitted with a rare No.36 Lyman peep sight, three leaf Express sight and a gold bead peep. Nine pages of documentation come with this rifle including the stamped G&H sealed Griffin & Howe archival research letter."

The ad mentions a "three leaf Express sight and a gold bead peep." I can't make out enough detail in the pics to tell if the rifle has the standard one fixed/one folding leaf rear, or if this is a special treatment from VL&D for their retail. Ditto the front. In any case will be curious to see when it gets here.

I didn't come across too much on the 1905 in the archives, so would welcome any comments, reloading tips, etc..

Edited by CptCurl (04/06/13 09:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
.275 member

Reged: 25/11/08
Loc: Sweden
Re: M1905 carbine [Re: vagrouser]
      #224984 - 08/02/13 09:55 PM

Lovely rifle! Congratulations.

Looks like one fixed/one folding but does seem to be of the express kind of sight. I haven't seen one with a semi-pistol grip before.

/Lars

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: M1905 carbine [Re: Clark]
      #224985 - 08/02/13 09:58 PM

yes a good one
I recommand 9,3x57 Norma brass, the base is much smaller than most 8x57 and will probably fit your chamber best.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: M1905 carbine [Re: lancaster]
      #224988 - 09/02/13 12:13 AM

My 1905 came with claw mount bases and I was able to fit an appropriate scope to it courtesy of New England Custom Guns. I bought a special die to reduce the head of Mauser size cartridges from .469" to Mannlicher size .464", but discovered by accident that some Remington .35 Whelen brass on my loading bench measured in fact .464", so I was spared the swaging process.

I recently came up with 20 rounds of ancient RWS 9X56 ammunition and 35 rounds of Western Cartridge Company "9mm Mauser and Mannlicher" ammunition, both of which fit my carbine. I don't plan to fire them, however. There is no way of determining what the nature of the primers might be.

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: M1905 carbine [Re: xausa]
      #225248 - 14/02/13 06:32 AM

Congratulations on a fine rifle! I had a rather unnerving incident with a Lyman #36 on my 1908. I was shooting it at the range one day and decided to swing the small peep out to see if the larger peep would affect my shooting. When I got home and started to clean it, the swing out peep was gone!! The screw that holds it in place, that acts as a pivot, had loosened and the peep had fallen out. I searched through my case, range bag, in the house, and even outside trying to find it without success. I called the range master to see if he could find it and still no success. Next day I went back to the range and found it by the bench.:-)
Moral to this long-winded story is keep the pivot screw tight or the spring driven sight will pop it right out!

vagrouser
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: M1905 carbine [Re: JDL]
      #225269 - 14/02/13 04:44 PM

JDL,

I appreciate the cautionary tale!

I was talking with Cpt Curl here last week about what a fiddly contraption the #36 sight is and I can easily see something like that happening. I'll take due precaution.

Hoping to pick the rifle up Saturday and will report back when I get it home.

Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3609

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com