Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rebarrelling a Mannlicher MCA .270

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Rebarrelling a Mannlicher MCA .270
      #157989 - 01/04/10 08:48 AM

Gentlemen, is there anything that precludes one from rebarrelling a Mannlicher Shoenauer - can only certain gunsmiths do it? I am just talking about a straight replacing of the .270 barrel not a rechambering.
I have one here with a rough bore and if I am to keep it then down the track I will want to get it rebarrelled. I rang my local gunsmith but he seemed a bit doubtful and he had never done one before.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Rebarrelling a Mannlicher MCA .270 [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #157993 - 01/04/10 09:14 AM

Just last week I sent my Greek MS to MAB in Queensland OZ for a new tube ,I don't think there's anything special about the fitting of the barrel , I can't see any extractor cuts ,it looks pretty straight forward. Getting a barrel with the correct exterior profile is the trick. The cost of a CM tube from MAB is about Au $550.00 fitted, this includes profiling.

cheers
Pete

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Rebarrelling a Mannlicher MCA .270 [Re: darwinmauser]
      #158049 - 02/04/10 04:12 AM

While rebarreling pre-WW2 Mannlicher-Schoenauers, Mod.03, 05, 08, 10, 24, 25 models is no real problem for any gunsmith, it is near impossible with a post-war rifle made from 1950 on. The pre-war ones have a flat-ended barrel that screws against a collar inside the receiver ring, similar to the post-war FN made 98 Mauser actions. This collar, slotted on both sides for passage of extractor and ejector, has inclined rear surfaces that push the locking lugs back on opening, thus achieving primary extraction. Unlike the Mauser action, the M-S has no such incline at the rear of the receiver bridge for the bolthandle root to work against. The rear face of these M-S barrels has cuts for both the extractor and ejector, but these amount to a simple groove across, easy to cut after the barrel is indexed to the action. I have done this cutting with a file once.
After the war Steyr introduced a less obvious variant to the Mannlicher-Schoenauer actions, probably to ease machining at the factory: On the post-1950 actions, Mod.1950, GK, Mc, MCA and NO, the collar inside the receiver ring was omitted. Instead, there are top and bottom projections machined on the barrel itself, their inclined rear surfaces serving the primary extraction of the former collar. This newer arrangement makes it nearly impossible to rebarrel a post WW2 M-S action without having special jigs and gages. The easiest way known to me is: Screw the old barrel out, cut it off in front of the shank/reinforce, bore out the shank, sleeve it with the new barrel. When reassembling, be damm careful to index the shank to the receiver the same way as it was originally.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2252

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com