Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
NorthernBob
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Northern Alberta
Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporter
      #103343 - 24/04/08 04:30 AM

I recently picked up a Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporting rifle. It is the straight pull carbine in 8x50R Austrian Mannlicher. It has three leaf express sights and double set triggers. I've found some information on the internet on the M95 military rifle, but they were mostly rechambered to the 8x56R. Is this a very common type of sporting rifle? Dies and some cases formed from the 7.62x54 Russian came with the rifle. I've not been able to find any factory cases. I handload a bit, but I've never formed cases from other cartridges. Would anyone know of any load data for this rifle? My Cartridges of the World book lists some loads safe in the M88 using IMR 3031 and mentions the M95 could handle a grain or two more. The previous owner gave me the loads he used with IMR 7828 and IMR 4831 which I'll give a try. It's a neat little carbine and I'd like to take it deer hunting. Any information or opinions of the gun or cartridge would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
1980E26
.300 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: USA
Re: Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporter [Re: NorthernBob]
      #103344 - 24/04/08 04:41 AM

Bob,

The Steyr M95 straight pull (military version) is pretty common and inexpensive. A lot have hit the surplus market lately. Cannot comment on how available sporters are. The Steyr straight pull action is really nice and smooth. A great platform to make a custom rifle. Can you post photos of the rear and front sights? I see yours had double set triggers. Nice.

IMR 7828 will be way too slow for the 8x50. You might want to stick with IMR 4350 or something a bit tad quicker. for this case size. 4831 will also be on the slow side for top velocity.

Keep us posted how it shoots.

Corbin

NorthernBob
.224 member

Re: Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporter [Re: 1980E26]
      #103360 - 24/04/08 06:59 AM

Thanks Corbin. I've attached photos of the sights and a side view. The leaves on the rear aren't marked with a distance. I assume they would be 100, 200, and 300 meters? I've read the military M95 carbines kick pretty hard, at least with the 8x56R cartridges. The bore is excellent, so I hope I can shoot it well. It's been a while since I shot a rifle without a scope.

NorthernBob
.224 member

#103442 - 25/04/08 01:34 AM

I just put her on a scale, 6lb 2 oz. Its not surprising it kicks a bit, especially if they were using the 244 grain military load at 2100 fps. That speed is probably with a rifle length barrel. It would be interesting to know what the commercial sporting cartridges were loaded to and what bullets were used. It is a very smooth action. The one thing that I don't like is the safety. It is stiff and very loud if it is allowed to snap off. I could probably hear it from at least 20 yards away. The side view above doesn't show the cheek piece on the left side of the stock.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #104177 - 04/05/08 12:57 AM

Bob,

Very, very interesting old timer. Just love the parade sights! You might be able to get cases from Superior Ammo or Aardvark Arms in the USA though I am not sure what formalities would be involved in importing them into Canada.

Good hunting! Hope to see pictures of some fine trophies taken with this beauty!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporter [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #104187 - 04/05/08 02:51 AM

Cool Rifle-
The 8x50 and 8x56 both need a faster powder that 7828, just a Corbin says. The other end of the spectrum is 3031- probably too fast. A powder in the range of the mediums of Varget, 4895 H4350, all Hodgdon powders, or 4064, 4320, 4350 in IMR cans will probably work the best.
: In working up loads, any load you can use with 3031 in your 8x56R, can be used with the slower powders, then work you way up as pressure signs and recorded velocities indicate.
: A just gave a couple clips of 8x68R ammo to a friend who just picked up a simlar rifle, but probably full military. They ammo was loaded with .328" bullets by the way, not .323". His rifle's groove diameter is also .328". He is not considering buying a custom mould to cast the correct size heavy bullets for his rifle.
: I suggest you slug the bore to find the proper diameter.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporter [Re: DarylS]
      #104192 - 04/05/08 05:01 AM

Quite a neat little rifle.

I am picturing a detachable scope on your rifle. Mmm... Looks like a tempting project, as they are not very expensive in GI condition down here, though the numbers have dried up some.

As Daryl says, bullets are not .323.

Slug the bore to be sure, but two friends have these rifles in 8x56R and they slug .329 or .330. Lee made a bullet sizer as a standard offering for sizing down .338 bullets to .329 for a while. Midway sold them. If you can't find one, have them make you a custom sizer. Only cost $25.00. My buddies shoot 200 grain .338 bullets sized to .329 in their rifles with good grouping.

The 8x56R is no peashooter and IIRC "Knock-the-snot-outta-ya" is the technical term for the recoil level generated by these things.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporter [Re: 9.3x57]
      #104198 - 04/05/08 07:05 AM

I think, guys, If you look a little harder, the 8X50R Austrian is .323. The 8x56R is .326-.328. The conversion was complete. The existing rifles had the grooves deepened and the chambers cut. The reason for upping the diameter escapes me, but this allowed the clean up of the older rifles barrels.
This is in Edward Ezell's Small Arms of the World and another review of the Austrian cartridges.
I have owned three of the 1895 carbines in 8X56R and they have the larger bore.
Please, NorthernBob, slug your bore before loading the larger diameter bullets. These actions are relatively strong, but don't push them too far.
I shoot cast and jacketed in mine. 210 grains at about 2200 fps. 4895 / RL 15 / 4064 are good powders. They shoot very well. The only issue is the front sights on the military guns tend to be too short. These are sighted for about a dead on at 300 meters. Likely with the sporter, this won't be the issue.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Steyr Mannlicher M95 commercial sporter [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #104221 - 04/05/08 11:49 AM

Quote:

I think, guys, If you look a little harder, the 8X50R Austrian is .323.

As I mentioned, make sure you slug the bore.

There is some confusion as to the actual bore/groove depths of these rifles. Smith and Smith cite the nominal groove depth of both the 8mm 1893 and the M30 CARTRIDGES as ".323".

However, the 1888-90 and 1895 rifles/carbines and the 1890 carbine are cited as possessing .329 diameter groove depths. This is the situation with the converted rifles owned by my friends. As 88Mauser says, groove depth appears deeper with the M30, but according to S&S, so is the groove depth of the 1890 rifles. I have also read of M1890's being bigger than .323, also, so the slugging is essential.

Also make sure there is adequate case neck relief if you decide to shoot groove diameter bullets.

Groove depths in excess of bullet diameter were common in some Euro military and commercial rifles manufactured before WW2.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6241

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com