Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

3AXBAT
.224 member

Reged: 29/08/07
Loc: Central Texas
Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio
      05/08/12 08:49 AM

I just saw a Lee Speed for sale in the San Antonio Gun Show. It is owned by Dale Wise Guns, 210 734-9999. I have no connection with him or interest in the rifle.

First off, it's rough and incomplete. And no, I couldn't take pictures. I did take notes, tho.

The Knox form is marked Lee Speed, BSA and Co, NO 59. He tells me it is 303. Tang safety, and the bolt head has a patent date on it. No extra holes in the action, looks like it was the original bolt, I wasn't able to open it and check the number. It does have the old style cocking piece. Missing the magazine cut off, you can see the hole where it was and should be. No dust cover. Interesting magazine. The magazine floorplate is flush with the bottom of the receiver (!) and marked "Harris Magazine" and has a patent date and Number 120.

Original wood fore end with horn? tip, original butt with horn grip cap, initial plate (un-engraved), sling eye and steel butt plate. Lots of wear and dry looking, but tight and no obvious cracks. The engraving on the butt plate matches engraving on the receiver. There is a lever on the left side of the fore end he says lowers the magazine follower so you can reload quickly. The checkering was all there, but old and tired. There are two dates carved (!) into the right side of the butt stock, 30/10/05 and 13/2/06. The carving is large, rough, deep and old.

The barrel looks like it was cut some. I couldn't measure it, but the original sling eye is too close to the muzzle. The fore end fits tight to the barrel, there are no gaps. Front sight is on a band. The barrel has no markings visible, proofs, caliber, nada. Looks like they were removed somehow. Rear sight is some recent-ish folded metal w/ elevator, held down with two screws, about like a Red Ryder. Couple holes on the top side of the barrel, maybe were to hold a rib? No idea about the bore.

To me, it looks like something to stay away from. But there's lots of folks who want to resurrect Lee Speeds or build one out of milsurp, so maybe someone here is interested.

Good Luck

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio 3AXBAT 05/08/12 08:49 AM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio darwinmauser   05/08/12 10:00 AM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Huvius   05/08/12 11:34 AM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio tinker   06/08/12 03:50 AM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Matt_Graham   06/08/12 11:49 PM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Bluer60   27/08/12 02:51 AM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio darwinmauser   27/08/12 08:34 PM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Bluer60   05/09/12 10:35 PM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Rowdy   08/09/12 10:25 AM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Bluer60   10/09/12 11:00 AM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Story   12/09/12 12:31 PM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Old_Glass   23/11/12 06:20 AM
. * * Re: Lee Speed for sale in San Antonio Ardent   29/11/12 06:10 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6548

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com