Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need some help with a front sight

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
RLR
.224 member

Reged: 02/06/23
Loc: Washington
Need some help with a front sight
      #377322 - 16/06/23 11:55 AM

Acquired a decent LSA produced interwar “Lee-Speed” about a year ago. Unfortunately, the front sight blade was hanging by a thread. Who would be the right person to contact to make a new front sight insert from scratch? The blade has since fallen off of the old insert completely. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[image]https://imgur.io/a/hUAb1he[/image]

Sight album

Edited by RLR (16/06/23 11:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: Need some help with a front sight [Re: RLR]
      #377331 - 16/06/23 10:38 PM

New England Custom Guns have sights that you might be able to make work. that's what I did with one of my Rigbys that had a damaged front sight. Also, Champlin Arms will make replacement front sights with warthog beads.

RLR
.224 member

Re: Need some help with a front sight [Re: degoins]
      #377345 - 17/06/23 04:11 AM

I’ve actually had the same thought on the NECG inserts, I’ve got a small selection of them. The problem is that none of them are long enough to look right after squared off. The Champlin option looks quite good, thanks!

--------------------
“Don’t be noble, it’s ruining the country.” -The Old Man via Robert Ruark

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #377371 - 18/06/23 04:13 AM

You're welcome and good luck.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #377465 - 22/06/23 07:59 AM

Before you go buying or making a new front sight to the original dimensions you need to shoot the rifle first with a temporary sight to see if the original dimensions will work with your ammunition. Even if your ammo is identical to the original at the time the rifle was made there is no guarantee that the sights will put the bullet anywhere near the POI that they should. Many old rifles, particularly bolt actions have a very different POI to what their sights say. I see this at the BGRC shoots all the time when discussing with the other shooters what position on the target they have to aim at to achieve a bullseye and they can be very different.

A little while ago I purchased a MS1903 with a basically unfired barrel which is Shot and Sighted (And retailed) by Beesley which makes it quite unique as Beeley was not famous for rifles. While I am very proud of this unique rifle I can see why they were not famous for rifles. I loaded Norma brass with Hornady 160 Grain RNSN ammunition to the correct overall length and velocity is 2240 fps which is correct for the original ballistics for a 22" barrel. The gun grouped nicely but at 50 yards was high by nearly six inches. No amount of varying powder amount or type would bring the POI down to where I wanted it. I could have filed the back sight but any lower and I would have had to press my head to hard into the stock, the back sight is the right height for comfortable shooting so I wasn't going to touch it.

So I bought a new front sight from NECG which was very nicely made and was 2mm higher than the original. this was the the shortest taller front sight I could get and unfortunately the dovetail was wider so I had to make a Jig to hold the sight and machine the dovetail to suit the rifle. I did this and fitted it and fired some ammo at the range and and it shot about 10 inches low which was obviously hopeless. I didn't want to load the ammo any hotter so I had to make a new front sight. Now obviously there is a shit load of work in making a new front sight and I would potentially have to make a number of them until I got the right height. So I decided to 3D print some as I have two 3D printers at work. This was extremely successful and after having printed a number of sights in different heights, I settled on one height that placed the bullets where I want. I then adjusted for windage and shot it it in the Classic Light Nitro event, and promptly won with a ripper score. I was rather happy especially as it was the first time the rifle was used in a comp.

So you can either get some 3D printed or file off the sight bead and post from your sight base and drill and tap it for a very fine thread and fit the smallest cheese head screw or socket head cap screw to the base. You can then alter the height and see where your rifle actually shoots as far as height goes once you have achieved a good group.

Then you can make a new sight to the correct height. But making a new front sight in Metal is whole different story. I am in the process of making one fore my rifle now so I will report back how I went about it.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

RLR
.224 member

Re: Need some help with a front sight [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #377567 - 26/06/23 07:53 AM

Height requirements are easier than all that. You simply tie a zip tie around the front of the barrel, use the tail end as a front post and keep clipping until you’re where you want. Then take your measurements and viola.

At least that’s what has worked for me over the years. Your point is not lost however. I have a reasonable idea of the height I need for my cast loads via this method.

--------------------
“Don’t be noble, it’s ruining the country.” -The Old Man via Robert Ruark

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1133

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com