Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Speaking of .303s. . .

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Speaking of .303s. . .
      #313732 - 09/03/18 03:27 PM

After last summer's trip to TX, and some ongoing discussion, there's a remote chance I may be moving that direction; if not, I'll probably be making 1-2 trips down there a year in preparation for "retirement". The borrowed jungle carbine and .303 load worked fine for what I was doing, which was basically culling. I'm thinking I may start watching for a Lee Enfield of my own for such use.

The question is, which model? What I have in mind is a purely "work rifle", so I'll probably scrounge an already cut-down rifle with a decent bore. Are any of the various marks to be preferred for such shooting? I'm thinking of both reliability in heavy usage (yeah I know--military rifle, but with unknown use history) and of parts availability.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Speaking of .303s. . . [Re: Jim_C]
      #313739 - 09/03/18 04:38 PM

Jim,
Both the #1 MkIII and the #4 MkI were made in the millions and it seems the small parts are currently available for both.
As for bore condition, at least the ones I have seen, the #4's are usually in better shape with an exception of the Lithgow made #1's. These usually are as good as the #4's bore wise.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Speaking of .303s. . . [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #313741 - 09/03/18 05:24 PM

Quote:

Jim,
Both the #1 MkIII and the #4 MkI were made in the millions and it seems the small parts are currently available for both.
As for bore condition, at least the ones I have seen, the #4's are usually in better shape with an exception of the Lithgow made #1's. These usually are as good as the #4's bore wise.

As above. The No5 Jungle Carbines normally have well used bores. Seems people put these to good use even after the war. Just me, but I too would prefer an already sportirized job. I like to leave those in original condition in that condition. Original unused 303 barrels are available if you find a good action with a shoddy barrel.

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: Speaking of .303s. . . [Re: Rule303]
      #313858 - 11/03/18 04:15 PM

Thanks guys. Over the past year or so I've seen several cut-down #4s, and a couple of #1s, so it shouldn't be too hard to get my hands on one. I just wasn't sure which one to watch for.

The #5 I used in TX did ok, but really should be re-barreled. It beat the crap out of my shoulder, but it always worked, no problems feeding in almost 400 rounds. It does leave a bit to be desired in the accuracy department. . . . Its also not for sale, or I'd be looking for a new barrel instead of a rifle.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Speaking of .303s. . . [Re: Jim_C]
      #313863 - 11/03/18 09:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys. Over the past year or so I've seen several cut-down #4s, and a couple of #1s, so it shouldn't be too hard to get my hands on one. I just wasn't sure which one to watch for.

The #5 I used in TX did ok, but really should be re-barreled. It beat the crap out of my shoulder, but it always worked, no problems feeding in almost 400 rounds. It does leave a bit to be desired in the accuracy department. . . . Its also not for sale, or I'd be looking for a new barrel instead of a rifle.

The No5's can have a wandering zero problem. The amours at the British proving grounds worked that out to be because they shaved a little to much metal from the side of the action. Had the same problem with No4's they did the same to. Also they were meant for 0 to 200 yard range, mostly under 50. Some put a slip on recoil pad to reduce the effects. 400 through any 308 sized cartridge would work most peoples shoulder.

englishman_ca
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/17
Loc: Almaguin, Ontario, Canada
Re: Speaking of .303s. . . [Re: Rule303]
      #314837 - 02/04/18 12:38 AM

I am not a big fan of the No.5 rubber butt pad.

At the hunt camp I have seen more than one No.5 used for hunting fitted with a No.4 butt stock. When I asked, the owners still had the take off butts put away or binned.

The No.4 butt plate having a larger area and makes perceived recoil more manageable.

The intention of the design of the rubber butt pad on the No.5 is to protect the butt end against damage from beating it against the ground, not to make a nice squishy cushion for the rifleman's shoulder.

One chap took a commercial black rubber recoil pad and cut it to fit the no.5 butt plate frame. It looked like it should have been there but it was functional and absorbed recoil.

--------------------
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2400

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com