Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle
      #298340 - 03/04/17 09:04 AM

Wondering if anyone has had a gunsmith heat and bend forward the bolt handle of a standard Lee Metford bolt, and flatten the ball to give the look of the Lee Speed and LEC. It's the main thing interfering with the look of a sporter built on a military rifle action vs. a Speed.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #298341 - 03/04/17 09:30 AM

While it does look cool, lots of the BSA sporters/Lee Speeds had a normal bolt, same for safety's, some had none, some had bolt, some had shotgun type !

But I think most of us want ribbed (not me so much) short magazined, swept forward bolt with the shotgun safety ?

henry_r
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/16
Loc: nsw australia
Re: The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle [Re: Sarg]
      #298404 - 04/04/17 10:53 AM

the bottom picture in this link \/ has armourers drawings of the LEC bolt handle for anyone considering having this done.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Instructions%20for%20Armourers%20-%201897.htm

note it has drawings of the LEC 5 round magazine as well, not really applicable for a BSA but maybe for a LSA built lee speed.

I have talked to my gunsmith of choice about reshaping the handle and he wasn't willing to do it... eventually i'll have to find one I trust, who will.

Edited by henry_r (04/04/17 11:02 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle [Re: henry_r]
      #298434 - 05/04/17 01:17 AM

As Sarg points out, the style of bolt handle was an option at the point of sale, as was the magazine type (and the chambering, for that matter!)

Henry:
I assume you have tried repeat-firing from the shoulder with all 3 main types of Lee bolt? The 'standard' Mark I style is my favourite by far, the knob sits out a little further from the stock than the SMLE type, and is much faster and easier to use than the flattened knob that was designed to sit close to the stock for cavalry use.

I have Lee Speeds and Lee Enfields with all 3 bolts, and while the flattened knob has a certain appeal it is my least-favourite in the field.

This is not meant to sound discouraging, they are all marvellous things!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
Re: The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle [Re: Marrakai]
      #298436 - 05/04/17 02:57 AM

Hi Gents,

Some good points all around. I too have rifles with all bolt styles and as mentioned the full knob (more standard) example is certainly easier and more ergonomic to manipulate. As I don't do much hunting though and I confess I'm more of a collector, purely for aesthetic reasons my favorite is the one I have with flattened knob and checkering underneath, beautiful craftsmanship.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle [Re: Roy]
      #298567 - 06/04/17 11:50 PM

Points well taken. Come to think of it I never cared for the forward bend of the MAS 36 bolt either.

englishman_ca
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/17
Loc: Almaguin, Ontario, Canada
Re: The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #307180 - 03/11/17 01:29 AM

I've done it. I have modified an old receiver that I mount in the bench vise for just this purpose. The receiver acts as a heat sink when bending the handle, to ensure the bolt body or locking lugs do not get too hot. Heat with a fine and very hot oxy-acetylene flame, work fast.

The underside of the bolt handle needs some material to be removed and profiled before you bend. A lot of trial and error on scrap bolts before I got it figured out to work right.

Once dressed, finished and oil blackened it is difficult to tell (other than maybe BSA martial markings!)

The rifle bolt without a doubt has the best ergonomics for working the action. It was an option on any and all of the carbines offered. I note that most serious hunting rigs do not have the carbine bolt fitted.

--------------------
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.

englishman_ca
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/17
Loc: Almaguin, Ontario, Canada
Re: The Lee Speed and LEC bolt handle [Re: englishman_ca]
      #308081 - 22/11/17 05:37 AM

This rifle bolt was already modified for use on a sporter when I got it, no original bolt was harmed in these pics!

Edited by englishman_ca (22/11/17 06:47 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4186

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com