Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: PPU 9.3MM bullets?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
PPU 9.3MM bullets?
      #330073 - 13/07/19 10:35 AM

Hello all.

I am putting this request on several forums.

I am looking for details about the PPU brand 9.3MM 285 grain bullets. Specifically, how they hold together and what amount of weight they are retaining from kills in the field.

Any cartridge 9.3MM gun, at any game, at any range at any angles, I would like to hear detailed reports by anyone who has killed game with this specific bullet.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets? [Re: szihn]
      #333338 - 12/10/19 05:30 AM

Well I never got a single reply, but yesterday I found out a part of the information I was wanting.
The PPU 9.3MM 285 grain bullets to expand well on smaller animals. Now I just have to see what they will do on an animal of over 400 pounds. Maybe I can see that later.
Anyway, I went out with a friend of mine to help him. He is an experienced hunter, but he's now 86 years old and needs help with dragging and even gutting at times.

So...long story short.......he is hunting with a 6.8SPC rifle and had a new scope on it. As luck would have it we find out the zero is not holding well. A shot at a paper target today shows us the zero wandered over 10" left and 6" high at 100 yards and the gun with this scope was shooting well only 4 weeks ago. He missed 4 shots in a row and he is actually a very good marksman. I see this quite often with some hunters, but not him. It's very much an unusual thing to see this old man miss. So I tell him to fire at a small rock on a hill about 250 yards away while I watch through my binos. He does, and the hit is WAY off.

So rather then go home I get out my Husky M46 9.3X57 from behind the truck seat. I and he go to a place where I know the antelope are crossing under a fence and set up a makeshift blind about 80 yards off. It is only about 45 minutes and a group of about 30 antelope come over the rise and to the crossing. He's set up in a solid sitting position resting over my pack, which is thrown over the top of a stiff sage brush. One shot and the antelope drops like it's legs disappeared. The round was loaded with ball-C 2 powder and the load chronographs 2205 FPS at the muzzle. The hit is high in the chest about 2" under the spine. The exit is about 2.5" around. Resistance to this hit is not extreme with only one rib hit going in.
So I know expansion is good. Now I have to see if the bullet will hold together on heavier game.

I'll post a note if I find out this season.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #333342 - 12/10/19 06:38 AM

Good result, Steve. I've never seen those bullets for sale here, however did receive a bunch of 6.5x55 PPU brass from a friend.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets? [Re: DarylS]
      #333346 - 12/10/19 07:52 AM

So far I have not purchased any PPU product that was bad. I am getting more impressed every time I try some of their goodies.

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
      #333352 - 12/10/19 11:02 AM

I have only taken one deer with this bullet, and I had modified it into a Fraser's Oblique Ratchet version. The jacket at the ogive is quite thick, and does not expand at 400/360 velocities.
Performance with the splits is quite a different story.

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets? [Re: MikeRowe]
      #333354 - 12/10/19 11:17 AM

Sorry szihn I didn’t see this earlier. I have used my 9.3x62 exclusively with Highland/PPU ammunition. I have always been impressed with the accuracy and killing power for what is in Australia the cheaper ammunition. I have only retrieved a couple of projectiles and they had mushroomed nicely. Not overly large mind you just a good steady peel back. All my shots have been at pigs with only the couple of end on shots not penetrating fully. Hope this helps.

Steve

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets? [Re: Viking338]
      #333355 - 12/10/19 11:57 AM

Szihn.

For our bear, elk and deer, can't think of a better bullet.

As we speak, I'm butchering a deer I shot with a Sauer 9.3x62 yesterday. I've shot bear, deer and elk w/ the Prvi and consider it a fantastic bullet.

Soft core, medium thick jacket.

Opens at even 9.3x57 velocities.

"Let it be known" I like old school lead-core/gilding jacket bullets and really d not like paying a lot of money for bullets. The game I shoot doesn't require them. Period. Wish I shot pix of the deer {110 pound whitetail} from yesterday as it was a shot that with a .270 would have ruined the whole front end...shattered both shoulders and took out half the heart.

Good grief, a 285 grain bullet at typical 9.3x62 velocities is going to make an impression on a lot of game.

Cape buffalo? No, although on a well-placed side shot I bet it would drop the thin fast. I ran a test years ago on fresh steer skulls and the Prvi did pretty well, tho my experience tells me it is a faster-opening bullet than what one wants for dangerous game. I shot a big cow elk with one from a x57 at about 125 yards and from and angle above that placed the shot in line with the vertebrae at the base of the neck between the shoulder blades and back. Of course switched off the elk,. The bullet more or less broke up. Only one I've ever recovered, but that indicated its more or less "softness" which for the game I shoot I prefer. They flatout kill, fast and even at the lower velocities.

Elk? Black bear? Deer?

Absolutely.

Never shot a pig but I would't hesitate to use one on one.

Pushes a nice big hole thru the thinner stuff without the really violent wreckage cause by the high-speed smaller hole varieties.

Here's a bear I shot with one some years ago. My bear rifle is a 16" barreled CZ 550 and I use the Prvis there, too.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #333356 - 12/10/19 11:58 AM

PS: I have several batches of them and some appear to have the cannelures placed at a slightly different position. Haven't noticed any performance difference, and to be truthful, cant really tell any zero change on the range.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

szihn
.400 member

#333359 - 12/10/19 12:38 PM

I am going to try to kill a bull elk with my custom Mauser 9.3X62 using the 286 grain Hornady. But later on, in November or December I may kill a cow elk with my Husky 9.3X57, and if I do I'll use the PPU 285 round nose.

There is a rumor I have heard that PPU is going to make a version in a spitzer. Any truth to that?
Anyone know for sure?

9.3x57
.450 member

#333360 - 12/10/19 12:42 PM

Sounds good.
No idea about the spitzer.

I hope they don't get rid of the RN.

--------------------

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #333361 - 12/10/19 02:59 PM

szihn, sorry I didn't see this when you originally posted back in July.
Of the 3 deer I have taken with the 9.3x57, all were with the PPU 285 grain rnsp at 2100 fps mv.
Closest was 35 yds farthest was 123 yds. 2 were quartering front and 1 was broadside. No bullet was recovered as all were complete pass throughs.
Expansion was evident but not violent nor excessive. Exit wounds were about 1/2 dollar size on all 3. None dropped at the shot but none went more than 25 yds.
I did some expansion tests with water jugs. All bullets recovered expanded uniformly to around 1/2" diameter to the 1st cannelure and retained weight averaged 90%.
Penetration was around 40".

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets? [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #333372 - 13/10/19 03:42 AM

Steve, I've heard only one report on the 285gr. Hornady SP. It was not particularly good, finding the bullet was very soft. The shot was from a 9.3x62 at fairly close range, running shot hit the spine back a bit far and of course dumped the deer. The guy posted a picture and there was a crater where he hit the deer's spine, the bullet not going any further. That's not a very big bone, even though a 200 pound animal(Alberta). The total penetration perhaps 6".

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #333375 - 13/10/19 08:42 AM

Sorry szihn I've only ever used the 270gn Speers on game yet (reduced load about 2100fps) all were pass thrus on Javan Rusa & pig. Woodleigh protected points I have quite a few of - just never had the chance to use them on game!
If I see these PPU's here in Oz I'll certainly give them a go!

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #333377 - 13/10/19 09:02 AM

Quote:

Sounds good.

Ah you just gotta use the RN as they just look shit hot

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets? [Re: Viking338]
      #333378 - 13/10/19 09:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds good.

Ah you just gotta use the RN as they just look shit hot

+1!

I'm not gonna lie. I like the look of a RN bullet.

For some reason I still think of military bullets as spitzers, and game bullets as RN's. No sense to it, but there you go.

--------------------

szihn
.400 member

#333413 - 14/10/19 06:44 AM

Daryl said:
"Steve, I've heard only one report on the 285gr. Hornady SP. It was not particularly good, finding the bullet was very soft. The shot was from a 9.3x62 at fairly close range, running shot hit the spine back a bit far and of course dumped the deer. The guy posted a picture and there was a crater where he hit the deer's spine, the bullet not going any further. That's not a very big bone, even though a 200 pound animal(Alberta). The total penetration perhaps 6". "

Dang, I hope I don't have those things happen to me. I have seen the exact same thing with the Speer 270 gain fired from my 9.3X74R, and also once with a Hornady RN 250 grain 338, fired from a Mauser in 338-06. 5 to 6" of penetration when hitting spines. My friends Rich had bad "blow-ups" with the Lapua 286 gr too.

In the 9.3X57 I think the PPU 285 RN is going to be excellent (I am hoping) but starting at only 2200 FPS, I expect range may be limited as to expansion. I don't have any info on that yet. If PPU were to make spitzers I may try them because they would hold onto a bit of velocity a bit farther then the RN, and speed is not something the 9.3X57 has a lot of anyway.

I have used the Nosler Accu-Bond 250 grain in one of my 9.3X57s and it will go a bit faster because it's lighter, and hold velocity a bit farther because of it's shape, but they only make them on limited runs, and when you do get them they are too costly for me to get any meaningful practice with.

Edited by szihn (14/10/19 06:45 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#333416 - 14/10/19 08:18 AM

SZIHN; I used to have some pix of wound channels made by the 285 Prvi at 2075 fpps start, from bear and deer more or less bayonet range all the way out to 200. I lost them during the Photobucket debacle. All indicated good expansion.

That was some years ago and assume new production bullets are the same as old ones.

Dug up some old tests. No pix....photobucket again.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1264-9-3x57-Tests-Repost

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1245-New-Tests-9-3-S-amp-B-193-HP-Speer-270-etc-Repost

Links taken from:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....&PHPSESSID=

Here is a pic taken from a wound caused by a re-sized {discontinued} Hornady 225 grain .375 bullet. Just like Elmer Keith used to say about the mediums, you can eat right up to the hole!

--------------------

coll416
.275 member

Reged: 19/02/12
Loc: Central Queensland
      #333497 - 16/10/19 06:30 PM

Steve

I have used several hundred of these 285gn PPU. They are reliable penetrators at the factory velocity about 2200fps. My experiences have been very positive on feral horses, donkeys & pigs.

The ammo is accurate & brass is higher quality than most US stuff!

DarylS
.700 member

Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets? [Re: coll416]
      #333504 - 17/10/19 03:22 AM

I noticed my brass, both 9.3x62 and 6.5x55 is stamped PPY, not PPU.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#333508 - 17/10/19 04:00 AM

Quote:

I noticed my brass, both 9.3x62 and 6.5x55 is stamped PPY, not PPU.

I think the old Hansen, PPU, PPY and Grafs are/were made in the same factory. Not sure if the case manufacturing was effected by the massive explosion in the powder plant or not. Maybe they are made in entirely separate facilities?

I have noted some vagaries in velocities between the different headstamps, indicating some variable internal dimensions, but as with the differences in jacket configurations of the 285 Prvi bullets, I suspect they are more related to lot variances than specification differences.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6000

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com