Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations.
      #285077 - 12/07/16 12:11 PM

I will be hunting in Scotland later this year, I have hunting clothes appropriate for Safari and the US (camo), but nothing cultural appropriate for deer stalking the Highlands, I have a good idea of what to get, but what to hear from you gentlemen, I will probably just see what Westley R and Orvis are offering as I'm based in the US, but does not hurt to ask and see what can be imported. Thank you gentlemen.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: Gundog01]
      #285085 - 12/07/16 03:56 PM

Have visited Scotland but but not hunted there. Have hunted immediately South of the border in "old" Scotland in Northumberland.

Will see what others in particular point out, but if wanting to avoid camo, solid greens and browns. What people used to wear before mossy oak became mandatory on everything from coats to teaspoons ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rigby270
.224 member

Reged: 24/09/14
Loc: Sussex, England
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: NitroX]
      #285105 - 12/07/16 11:43 PM

The norm is tweed breaks, long woolen socks and climbing/walking boots. For above the waist, any breathable jacket in camo is fine. Assume you will get wet feet, so carry spare socks to change if you have any distance to travel st the end of the day.

Make sure your plus two/fours have long legs, or during the crawling, that goes with the territory, you will find your socks have parted company with your breaks. Also, tied garter are best, as they will anchor your trouser to socks without stopping your circulation!

Enjoy but expect it to rain on the hour, every hour😊

May I ask where exactly you will be stalking?

--------------------
JH

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: Rigby270]
      #285112 - 13/07/16 05:23 AM

Don`t forget about the MIDGES aka here as SANDFLIES little annoying shit bags that drive all but the most resilient insane ha ha!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: Rigby270]
      #285142 - 13/07/16 04:13 PM

Quote:

The norm is tweed breaks, long woolen socks and climbing/walking boots. For above the waist, any breathable jacket in camo is fine. Assume you will get wet feet, so carry spare socks to change if you have any distance to travel st the end of the day.

Make sure your plus two/fours have long legs, or during the crawling, that goes with the territory, you will find your socks have parted company with your breaks. Also, tied garter are best, as they will anchor your trouser to socks without stopping your circulation!

Enjoy but expect it to rain on the hour, every hour😊

May I ask where exactly you will be stalking?

Good traditional attire in your answer. But I am thinking it is not "required" nowadays ie the tweed and breeks?

I know some traditional "shoots" still expect the traditional attire, neck tie included. Especially if one expects or hopes to ever be invited back! But isn't that becoming rarer nowadays ie the expectation of traditional dress? I think your mention of a "camo jacket" being fine answers that one.

I know what I would take. And it isn't traditional. If cold enough, a base layer of NZ Icebreaker long underrwear in super fine wool. Then a layer of polarfleece green long sleeved shirt on top. A green or brown polarfleece jumper or zip up jacket. And finally on top my Beretta Coat with waterproof lining. For trousers my Beretta hunting pants. I assume they are three layer and stay dry underneath. Way too heavy for any hunting I have done in Australia. Leather waterproof hunting boots. Heavy wool socks. My feet have stayed dry in these unless I step in a puddle above the top of the boot. Good idea on spare socks though. On my head probably a polarfleece soft cap.

I think all of the above would be too hot for stalking and walking up mountains and hillsides. If so, eject a layer. If it is too much, the polarfleece jacket could go. But as one knows, One gets hot and sweaty walking and climbing. When one stops, if it is cold enough, the sweat quickly cools and chills set in. Then a layer in a backpack becomes handy again.

I have never tried using the knee high breeks. Kiwis used to love their shorts even in very cold weather. I guess they make it easier to walk up hillsides without heavy trousers in the way. And mean the pants legs don't get wet from the tussocks.

Interesting how much it rains in Scotland.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: NitroX]
      #285452 - 19/07/16 09:55 AM

You'll have a great time, few things better than deer stalking in Scotland!

Generally speaking the attire requirements/expectations for stalking vs. shooting are quite different. For shooting you tend to have all traditional requirements: breeks, tie etc.

I've been stalking on 3-4 estates in Perthshire and what I've seen is less traditional. Generally similar to what you'd find in other cold weather hunting places: Northern, Europe, Canada, USA, New Zealand. Mixture of US camo hunting/Cabela's stuff, water proof micro fiber, fleece, etc. About half the people I've seen over the years wear tweed breeks or plus fours. Truth be told since I love the history of deer stalking in Scotland I'm perhaps the most "traditional" guy I've seen out stalking. I normally wear leather lace up boots, waterproof long socks, tweed plus fours, button up fleece shirt, surplus commando pull/sweater, and waterproof Jack Pyke jacket (normally too warm for the jacket), and either a tweed flat cap or a deer stalker hat. I'll add my dad and I are the only people I've seen wearing deer stalkers on the hill.

The kit is practical and its traditional enough for my tastes. I don't like camo if I don't have to wear. A bit part of hunting for me is the tradition and "getting away" from modern life. So having a bunch of super high-tech clothing like I stepped out of a Discovery Channel fake survival show is not my cup of tea.

I'll put in a plug for a good set of plus fours in tweed. As mentioned earlier you'll get a great set of leg mobility from plus fours and the tweed will stand up to all sorts of brambles and heather. The vintage stuff is better than most of the modern stuff, it was made to be used. Lots of the modern tweed stuff I see in the shops seems more for "Sloan Ranger" types in the city. You can find good and cheap vintage breeks and plus fours on British ebay with a little looking.

Here I am with the keeper for this estate, I've got tweed plus fours he's in tweed breeks:

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: Chasseur]
      #285458 - 19/07/16 12:54 PM

and this is applicable too.

Lyme/Borreliosis in Deer Stalkers in the UK

Lyme/Borreliosis is a zoonotic disease spread by the bite of a tick infected with spirochaetal bacteria Borrelia species (which apart from the normal nucleolar DNA have plasmids . These are separate entities of DNA in the body of the bacteria)

Ticks have a 3 stage lifecycle over a 3 year period. Eggs hatch into larvae (6 legs) blood meal,nymph (8 legs ) blood meal,adult (8 legs) blood meal egg laying. If at any stage the ticks pick up an infection that line of ticks carry the infection through all stages ( vertical transmission ) blood meals are normally taken from mammals and birds When an infected tick bites a patient, say human a sequence of events takes place.Borrelia species are attached to the tick gut and the blood releases them to move to the salivary glands ( tick moves from ground temperature to body heat ) Simultaneously the outer surface protein changes from OSP A to OSP C. This is the reason the tick must be attached for 36 hours or more Tick saliva is anaesthetic,anticoagulant and contains a protein SALP15 ( homologues in Ixodes ricinus ticks) which coats the bacteria as they pass into the host's body and is disseminated by the blood throughout the body. This protein protects the bacteria from triggering an immediate immune response.This is a SIGNIFICANT FEATURE

Borreilia bacteria causing disease

Borrelia burgdorferi ( Bb ).....mainly arthritis
Borrelia garinii ( Bg )...mainly nervous
Borrelia afzelii ( Ba )...mainly skin

newly diagnosed species

Borrelia valaisiana ( Bv )...skin ?
Borrelia spielmanii ( Bs )....skin ?

Symptoms of Lyme/Borreliosis

Stage 1 Early localised disease.

Symptoms start one to two weeks after the tick bite. Earliest sign is Erythema migrans so-called " bull's eye " rash.A central spot of red which is warm to touch. not raised and non painful, as it progresses outwards centre goes pale.
This is pathognomonic (definite Lyme /Borreliosis ) Only occurs in 30-80 % of cases.A blood sample at this stage is useless as body immune response delayed ( refer SALP15 ) FALSE NEGATIVE

Stage 2 Early disseminated Lyme/Borreliosis

Occurs weeks after the tick bite.
Flu like symptoms
Chills
Fever
Sweating
Enlarged lymph glands
Vision changes
Sore throat
Fatigue
headaches
General malaise
Rash may appear over the body other than the position of the tick bite

Neurological signs Numbness, tingling in muscles, Bell's palsy and cardiac disturbance

Stages 1 and 2 can overlap.

Stage 3 Late disseminated disease

Severe headaches
Arthritis in one or more large joints
Disturbance of heart rhythm
Short term memory loss
Difficulty concentrating
Mental fogginess
Problems following conversations
Numbness in arms,legs,feet

Diagnosis

CLINICAL EM diagnostic
Blood tests Elisa initial test confirmed by Western blot
polymerase chain reaction PCR

As the symptoms are non specific mainly full history and lifestyle assessment is paramount. If in doubt treat.

Recommended treatment high dose doxycycline. Most effective 200mg twice daily for a month.
Precautions.
Photosensitisation protect against strong light.No alcohol. Marmite to supplement gut products lost by gut sterilisation

Criticisms of diagnostic criteria

Blood samples submitted to laboratory are taken before antibodies develop ( delayed immune response )
Specific challenging material ( probes ) Bg has 7 different serovariants
Dedicated protocols: American protocols not appropriate for European diagnoses
Lyme/Borreliosis is the most common tick borne disease in Europe, must be taken seriously as grossly under diagnosed

Only in Scotland and Rep of Ireland a notifiable disease not rest of UK

Reference papers
Clinical Microbiology Review 2005 July 18 (3) 484-509
Journal of Clinical Microbiology Dec 1999 vol 37 no 12 4086-4092
J Clin Micro 2014 Oct 52 (100 3755-3762
J Clin Micro 2000 June vlo 38 no6 2097-2102
FEMS Immun Med Microbiology 49 ( 2007 ) 13-21
Clinical Infectious Diseases 2013 57 93) 333-340

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: gryphon]
      #285461 - 19/07/16 02:50 PM

It's in dear ticks here too - mostly in the US, but has been known on Vancouver Island - the lower mainland of BC has had some ticks test positive too. I had heard of a some positive tests up here, but do not know if they are true or not.

Lyme's Disease - you don't want it.

Use mosquito & tick repellent containing DEET - spray ankles, trouser legs, your back & hat. They will attach to your trouser, socks or ankles as you walk through foliage - crawl around until they find skin, then dig their head in for a blood meal. Pull them off and the head breaks off - you become infected. Google Tick removal.

Yeah - bug dope stinks.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: DarylS]
      #285464 - 19/07/16 04:23 PM

For the sort of country seen in the photos I would be at home in shorts and fleece shirts, long or short sleeve. Add on long sleeved and long legged thermals under the top layers and you will be good to go in colder weather. I now wear light synthetic hunting boots with good woollen socks for most of my hunting unless it is real alpine snow work. Light boots are much more agile and dry out quickly if they get wet. Top these off with long fleece style gaiters (I use Markhor brand, water proof, quiet and do not get too hot). If long pants are wanted then you can't beat the lightness, warmth and overall comfort of fleece track pants, hunting green or camo, and combined with gaiters will stay dry in long wet grass. Like leather boots, my heavy water proof hunting trousers are reserved for extreme cold and wet in the Alps.

Fleece clothing and synthetic boots just can't be beat for versatility and comfort today and as NitroX points out, can be layered to provide the comfort level required.

Whether this satisfies the custom who really cares, I dress to hunt in comfort not to impress or satisfy some perceived quaint custom that's most likely long outdated.

As to shorts, well the Scots are pretty famous for their tartan 'skirt' aren't they? It all comes down to what's underneath!!!!!!

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: eagle27]
      #285467 - 19/07/16 09:04 PM

I was about to suggest what works in NZ will work in Scotland. High water proof gaters and good boots to start with.

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: UK
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: tophet1]
      #286542 - 17/08/16 03:09 AM

I stalk in Assynt, West Sutherland. A lot of the ground here is peat hag, which gets very wet and slippy, so not like NZ mountains at all, although some of it is pure rock or scree and not much is like the nice girlie stuff they get in Perthshire.

You'll need long, well cleated boots (calf not ankle length) and gaiters. Your own choice of trousers/breeks, plus 2s or 4s, plus waterproof coat. I've hunted in Febraury after hinds when it was bitter cold minus teens of Centigrade and layering was essential.

I find a hill stick a great boon - helps to stop the inevitable slips and marking where you left your rucksack for the final crawl in, plus it's something to lean on when you're out of breath!

I do use a walnut stocked, blued Tikka, and a moderator. The big reason for moderator use is health & safety of your stalker (guide) and yourself - his hearing loss would be actionable and health & safety law is enforced through the criminal courts in the UK, so estates and hunters could get criminal records through not taking all reasonable health & safety precautions! Same goes for rifle slips and not putting a round in the breech until you're in position for the shot.

Camo ain't needed but do rememeber the ground here where I stalk is a pale green, so darker greens stick out. Also, we stalk on open ground so any pattern with trees or branches in it is a waste of time. You can almost count the trees here on one hand.

Simon

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: simonsaorsa]
      #286546 - 17/08/16 06:27 AM

Surely the guide could wear haring protection or even cover his ears during the shot, especially considering that the number of shots fired throughout the day would be very minimal, perhaps one or two, and he is behind the shooter anyway. Everybody wears hearing protection at the range for that reason rather than all using moderators.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

granhaven
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/08
Loc: Denmark
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #286566 - 18/08/16 12:45 AM

I have used Austrian Loden since i was 15, worn out a few pairs too over the 35+ years

trousers :
http://jagdhund.com/herren/hosen/lodenhosen/steinbach-dunkelgruen/
Jacket:
http://jagdhund.com/herren/jacken/abersee-dunkelgruen/

Loden i silent, doesn't really get wet from rain, if the trousers get soaked in blood just hunt for a day or two and it will fall of. Never wash with soap, just dry hanging when wet.

When not hunting, store with moth balls or other similar agent.

wear a pair of dark gloves so that hand movement is not easily seen when spotting.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5868

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com