Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ronda Ibex

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Ronda Ibex
      #43942 - 14/12/05 08:27 AM

This time I tried a different sub-specie, now I got only one left.
I took last week with my family to travel around the south and hunt a little bit .

The weather was not good and Ibex use to live very high in those mountains. There was some fog, rain and wind.

Anyway I started to climb.

3 hours between rocks and Ibex still were higher, into the fog

Took me 2 hours more and wait for a nice view to get him. 125 m is nice for a mountain shot.

This is not a big one, but enough this time. 8 years old male.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

Edited by 470Nitro (14/12/05 08:33 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
Re: Ronda Ibex [Re: 470Nitro]
      #43944 - 14/12/05 08:58 AM

Very nice .470, congratulations on a beautiful animal.
Spectacular hunting country, I'd love to hunt spain one day, it looks and sounds fantastic.

Ah...... one day............... !

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Ronda Ibex [Re: Metswedi]
      #43991 - 15/12/05 01:56 AM

I have to second Metswedis words. Looks like a great place to hunt, especially since I love being in the mountains. I hope to get down to Spain for that purpose one day!

SChapman
.224 member

Reged: 26/09/05
Loc: Michigan
Re: Ronda Ibex [Re: EricD]
      #43998 - 15/12/05 03:38 AM

Well 470Nitro, I only have one Spanish Ibex (Beceite), and you only have one to go! Which one is left? SE or Gredos or Beceite?

I enjoy your stories and photos. I am not sure which sub-species I would like to pursue next, as they all have pluses. The Ronda Ibex live in an area I would like to visit, so they may be next.

Congrats.

Scott.

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Ronda Ibex [Re: SChapman]
      #44013 - 15/12/05 06:35 AM

As far I know, we have 4 subspecies. Gredos Ibex, Beceite Ibex, Western Ibex and Ronda (South). Anyway I'll like to check any SCI to compare with the CIC.
Only Western Ibex from Salamanca is left for me.

--------------------
-----

SChapman
.224 member

#44021 - 15/12/05 07:13 AM

Hi 470!

SCI has 4 categories of Spanish Ibex:

-Gredos
-Beceite
-Southeast
-Ronda

I would guess your missing Ibex is therefore a "Southeast"...do you hunt them in the Sierra Nevada area? I think that is what my guide told me....

At any rate, you are well on your way to conquering Spanish Ibex. If I were you, once done the first time, I would start over and do it again. They are truly beautiful animals. Muy Bonita!

Thanks again for your help!

Scott.

SChapman
.224 member

#44023 - 15/12/05 07:59 AM

470Nitro:

I had one other question I simply forgot to ask...of the Ibex species you have hunted (Ronda, Beceite, Gredos), what region is the most difficult in terms of terrain?

The area I come from is very flat. Here in North America I have hunted in British Columbia, New Mexico, Montana, Alaska, Texas etc. where there are obviously some good size mountains/cliffs/etc., but I have not done much "mountain hunting". The area we hunted deer in Spain was very manageable...the area I hunted Ibex (beceite) was kind of challenging at times to a guy not used to so many cliffs, and drop-offs. However, it was exciting to hunt in that area. I really enjoy the physical side of it...what a great work-out climbing in those hills/mountains/canyons...

As I try to figure out which Ibex to hunt next, I think it might make sense to pick an area that is still more toward the "beginner" side of mountain hunting that the "expert" side, at least until I get used to the cliffs!

Scott.

470Nitro
.333 member

#44060 - 15/12/05 06:21 PM

En respuesta a:

I would guess your missing Ibex is therefore a "Southeast"...do you hunt them in the Sierra Nevada area?

About that....from Ronda area to Sierra Nevada there are 50 km. aprox. so there shoul be the same Ibex. There are a different one in Las Batuecas and this is the one left for me.

En respuesta a:

If I were you, once done the first time, I would start over and do it again.

Sure . I'd been in Gredos several times (is 1 hour from home) almost for females and I hunted Beceite twice.

En respuesta a:

of the Ibex species you have hunted (Ronda, Beceite, Gredos), what region is the most difficult in terms of terrain?

Every hunt on a mountain is diferent, even in the same area. The weather is important for that and can change the landscape and the hunt dramaticaly.

This one was "easy" to Hunt and there was many snow

This one is in the same area, and took me more than 6 hours to get him.

Last time I'b been in Gredos the snow was untill my knees and was really hard to get up to the Ibex.

This was my firt time in the South for the Ibex, but those mountains are that "rocky" everywhere and may be is the most difficult terrain for me to walk.

--------------------
-----

470Nitro
.333 member

#52818 - 20/03/06 06:35 AM

En respuesta a:

Hi 470!

SCI has 4 categories of Spanish Ibex:

-Gredos
-Beceite
-Southeast
-Ronda

I would guess your missing Ibex is therefore a "Southeast"...do you hunt them in the Sierra Nevada area? I think that is what my guide told me....

I'd been talking with a guide in the South that he used to hunt Ronda and Southeast Ibex often. Since I'd hunted this one in the middle of both sub-species (where both can be taken), close to the Ronda area, I thought it was a Ronda Ibex, but he's not. He's a Southeast Ibex, from Sierra Nevada range.
Sub-specie from Salamanca in the north & the one in Badajoz in the south west, is the same than Gredos.

Now I'm sure I only miss the Ronda Ibex .

--------------------
-----

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #52880 - 21/03/06 06:17 AM

Congratulations, wonderful trophies.

I was wondering, the one from Mallorca (Majorque,Majorca, Baleares Islands) is too a different subspecies, isn't it?

For our mutual and collective comprehension, can YOu post a picture of each subspecies so as we can see the differences between them?
thanks.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Ronda Ibex [Re: larcher]
      #52930 - 21/03/06 06:03 PM

En respuesta a:

I was wondering, the one from Mallorca (Majorque,Majorca, Baleares Islands) is too a different subspecies, isn't it?

In Mallorca you can find a Feral Goat. They call it "Boc Balear" and I found in Texas like "Catalina Goat"

En respuesta a:

For our mutual and collective comprehension, can YOu post a picture of each subspecies so as we can see the differences between them?

I'll look for them .

--------------------
-----

AJOTNIK
.224 member

Reged: 27/01/06
Loc: Spain
Re: Ronda Ibex [Re: larcher]
      #54747 - 14/04/06 02:17 AM

Ronda Ibex and Southeastern Ibex are completelly diferents. Ronda is located in south part of Malaga province and you only can find this specie from Algodonales village to mountains near to Marbella. A very small populattion live in Cadiz province close of Malaga province border. But the dsitributtion of the specie is very located. Horns are very simillar to Alpine Ibex groing in a V shape. This is the smaller sub-specie of Spanish Ibex. It is very dificult to find trophies over 30", and many of the trophies taken by hunters as Ronda Ibex, are Southeastern Ibex hunted far of the Ronda Ibex distributtion area.

Southeastern Ibex are found in Granada province. Arround of Sierra Nevada N.P. and also in Tejeda and Almijara distrits. They are biger and darkest animmals, and the horns have a simmilar conformattion than Western (Dagestan) Tur. Also may be considere southeastern Ibex trophies hunted in Cazorla Hunting Reserve (Jaen province) and in some other areas in Andalucia Region but never Ronda Ibex.

The Ibex you show in the picture ( one in the snow) for sure is not a Ronda Ibex, and it look more a Beceite Ibex than other of the rest of the species.

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Ronda Ibex [Re: AJOTNIK]
      #55064 - 18/04/06 12:56 AM

En respuesta a:

The Ibex you show in the picture ( one in the snow) for sure is not a Ronda Ibex, and it look more a Beceite Ibex than other of the rest of the species.

Sure mate, I took this picture
There's another thread taking about this Ibex .

Por cierto, bienvenido a esta casa de locos por los dobles .

--------------------
-----

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 2964

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com