Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger Mk IV .22 RF pistol?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Ruger Mk IV .22 RF pistol?
      #329728 - 30/06/19 12:21 AM

What do you think of the Ruger Mk IV .22 RF pistol as a target pisto and for plinking?

https://gundigest.com/article/new-product-ruger-mark-iv-pistol

Ruger is well known and well respected for its vast and diverse line of rimfire guns. The manufacturer’s 10/22 is without question one of the most ubiquitous .22 rimfire rifles in the shooting world, and Ruger has a ton of of other impressive rimfire options.

One of these is the classic Mark series of .22 LR rimfire pistols, which have been more or less in production since the company’s Standard pistol was introduced in 1949. Since that time there have been many additions and enhancements to the traditional design, as can be seen with the Mark I, Mark II and Mark III pistols that have followed.

Now, the U.S. manufacturer has announced the release of its brand new Ruger Mark IV pistol, which features several improvements over the previous Mark III, including a one-button takedown for simple field stripping and cleaning. The gun has a recessed button in the back of the frame, which permits the upper receiver to tilt up and off the grip frame without using tools. Then the bolt can slide freely out of the receiver.

Takedown on the new Ruger Mark IV pistol occurs, literally, with a simple push of a button, allowing the shooter to separate the upper from the grip frame.
“We are thrilled to be introducing what we consider to be a monumental improvement to this iconic pistol that has been with Ruger from the start,” said Ruger President and COO Chris Killoy. “This one-button takedown alleviates the headache that our Mark III owners are all too familiar with, and we anticipate the Mark IV pistols being some of the cleanest rimfires at the range.”

The new Ruger Mark IV pistol also features an improved one-piece grip frame precision CNC-machined from solid stainless steel or aluminum, depending on the model. Ergonomic improvements include an ambidextrous manual safety and a redesigned bolt stop.

Each new Ruger Mark IV is built with Ruger’s excellent one-piece barreled receiver and internal cylindrical bolt construction. The Mark IV drops magazines freely when they are released, and the guns utilize a newly designed magazine disconnect safety to prevent firing when the magazine is removed. Other internal improvements consist of changes to the hammer, sear, bolt and firing pin for more reliable feeding and smoother operation.

Initially, there will be three different models of the new Ruger Mark IV available to shooters: Mark IV Target Blued, Mark IV Target Stainless, and Mark IV Hunter. Pricing on these new Ruger Mark IV pistols ranges from $529 to $769, depending on the model.

For more information, check out the specifications for each pistol below, or visit Ruger’s website to learn more.

Specifications:

ruger-mk-iv-1Ruger Mark IV Target Blued
Caliber: .22 LR
Barrel: 5.5 in., bull
Twist: 1:16 in.
Overall Length: 9.75 in.
Height: 5.5 in.
Width: 1.2 in.
Weight: 35.6 oz.
Grip Frame: Aluminum
Grips: Checkered synthetic
Finish: Blued
Front Sight: Fixed iron
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Capacity: 10
MSRP: $529

ruger-mk-iv-5Ruger Mark IV Target Stainless
Barrel: 5.5 in., bull
Overall Length: 9.75 in.
Weight: 42.8 oz.
Grip Frame: Stainless Steel
Finish: Satin Stainless
Front Sight: Fixed iron
MSRP: $689

ruger-mk-iv-f-_40118-2Ruger Mark IV Hunter
Barrel: 6.88 in., fluted bull
Overall Length: 11.12 in.
Weight: 44 oz.
Grip Frame: Stainless Steel
Finish: Satin Stainless
Front Sight: Fiber optic
MSRP: $769

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Ruger Mk IV .22 RF pistol? [Re: NitroX]
      #329729 - 30/06/19 12:24 AM

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/ruger-mark-ii-best-survival-pistol

Ruger Mark II: The Best Survival Pistol?
By Ben Sobieck -August 12, 2015010268

Ruger-Mark-II-best-survival-pistol
If the .22 really is the best survival ammunition, then the best survival pistol must be something that uses these loads.

One that’s reliably thrown .22LR rounds downrange for about 30 years now is the Ruger Mark II. Could it be the best survival pistol? It does match the characteristics of the best survival pistols outlined in this previous Living Ready article.

Best Survival Pistol: The Case for the Ruger Mark II
The Ruger Mark II made an impression on John Farkas. To him, it’s the best survival pistol. Here’s why:

Related GunDigest Articles
ruger-mk-iv-1
New Product: Ruger Mark IV .22 LR Pistol
ruger-lcp-ii-1
Introducing the Ruger LCP II Pistol
Ruger-American-Pistol-SHOT-Show-2016
SHOT Show 2016: Ruger American Pistol
The Ruger Mark II rimfire pistol holds ten rounds of .22LR and is perfect as a lightweight hunting pistol. As an added bonus, ammo is cheap and plentiful.

John hopes that he will have a full-size pistol, or better yet, a rifle with him if the bag is ever needed. He keeps the Ruger in his bag as a backup.

In his own words, Farkas explains his bug out bag strategy.

I clean and refill my canteens every week. Clothing depends on the time of year. I try to keep this a 3-day bag. Weight is always a concern. I want to be as comfortable as possible, but still able to carry over long distances.

The contents change from time to time, but these are the basics that I always keep. I take this bag with me to work and vacation (as long as I’m not flying).

My wife and two children (9 and 10) each have a bag. They each contain basic clothing, canteens, food, first aid items, hygiene items, GPS radio, poncho and casualty blanket.

Is the Ruger Mark II the Best Survival Pistol?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
      #329737 - 30/06/19 02:51 AM

John Many years ago I shot a MK II bull barrel a LOT. I would shoot it until it hung up, usually about 1500 shots, hose it out with brake cleaner, squirt some WD 40 in there, and go back to shooting. I don't believe I ever disassembled the gun.
This was using Aguilla ammunition, which was very dirty, but shot really, really well. Put many cases of shells through that little gun.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Ruger Mk IV .22 RF pistol? [Re: MikeRowe]
      #329739 - 30/06/19 04:43 AM

John, I have the MK III version which does not have the easy disassembly feature.
Like Mike, I shoot mine until it starts to balk then hose it out with a spray cleaner and then spray lube.
I also shoot Aguilla. Very accurate and fun pistol

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Ruger Mk IV .22 RF pistol? [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #329741 - 30/06/19 07:52 AM

These little Ruger MK I, II, III,and IV are all wonderful little pistols.... They are cheap, reliable, accurate, and have great ergonomics.

I don’t really fuss about the new and improved MK IV “simplified” takedown, and I never felt that there was a problem that needed solving in the first place that the introduction of the MK IV was supposed to cure. I for one can take down my older generation pistols without much fuss, and as someone else posted, brake cleaner and a WD40 chaser can quickly solve many evils in the world.

I do very much dislike the “safety for stupid people” that blocks the striker if there is no magazine in the pistol...... Maybe I WANT to fire that last round in the chamber while the magazine is out of the pistol, i.e, fired second last shot, dumped the empty mag for a quick change, and then discovered it prudent to fire the remaining chambered round before having a chance to insert the fresh mag.

Sometimes, “new and improved” is really just “new” for the sake of new.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Ruger Mk IV .22 RF pistol? [Re: Postman]
      #329752 - 30/06/19 06:36 PM

Postman,

They have to "improve" the handgun, so existing owners purchase the new model.

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. The club I belong to has a couple of Ruger handguns like this for loaning. I shoot them well and do like the model. Not sure which model it is. They all seem to have a good reputation as a simple target shooting .22 RF. A good practice handgun.

Even though I am not a regular or that experienced handgun shooter, I often get a 490 + or even 495+ score. I don't shoot slowly either. Annoying stuffed up the second to last shoot, with one or two shots, at 498 or 497, so didn't get my first 500. Good easy practice.

And while we are restricted to range shooting only with our handguns in Aust, if the SHTF one day, such a target pistol .22 RF could be handy.

Unless something else comes up before, I am pretty sold on the Ruger model. But am getting ahead of myself. A 9 mm will still be first. And the club 9 mm are now all crap, so needed more for that reason alone.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #329758 - 30/06/19 09:24 PM

Hi Nitro:

The “other” iconic .22 range pistol would be the S&W model 41. It is every bit as reliable, durable, simpler, far more accurate, but it is a bit bigger, heavier, and much more expensive. At the club shoots here, the Ruger is a commoner, but the Smith is king for range plinkers. Beyond those two choices would seem to be where people tend to migrate into a more purpose built true target pistol for shooting Monday night Bullseye competition. Myself, if it were legal to do so here in Kanuckistan, on hunting or field excursions, I’d favour carrying the Ruger in my backback or large pocket, simply due to weight and size, but at the range, between the two, I’d choose the Smith. The one other mention I’d make is the S&W .22 revolver. It is VERY accurate, but it is a wheel gun, bigger, heavier, and more costly than the Ruger.

Edited by Postman (30/06/19 09:31 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1724

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com